Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! Ivory Shirts!

Hi everyone-

I'm having a beach wedding and my dress is ivory.  I'm having serious trouble finding a men's dress shirt, button down that is ivory without a pocket.  The wedding party will not be wearing suit coats so pinning the boutineer above a pocket might look odd.

What does everyone think?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Help! Ivory Shirts!

• Maybe look for tux shirts? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just use white shirts. Ivory shirts actually look odd, and they do not need to match your dress. And no they will not clash.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with PP, just use white shirts.  The difference will not be that noticeable nore will your guests care.

As for the bouts, well, the bouts will look odd pinned on a shirt no matter if it has a pocket or not, so I would just forgo the bouts all together and just have the GMs wear fun/colorful ties.

• I wish this white/ivory shirt issue would die.  Please have the guys wear white.  You should NEVER have them wear ivory, no matter what the store says and what color dress you have.
  • Just curious, why do you say to never have them wear ivory?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-ivory-shirts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:91917dec-472e-42f8-b198-0567da796ca2Post:30db85ab-19e2-4017-ae6f-f6a1edc30c44">Re: Help! Ivory Shirts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish this white/ivory shirt issue would die.  Please have the guys wear white.  You should NEVER have them wear ivory, no matter what the store says and what color dress you have.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-ivory-shirts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:91917dec-472e-42f8-b198-0567da796ca2Post:8305e47b-e07d-4b4a-8875-b3ea93f81fdb">Re: Help! Ivory Shirts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just curious, why do you say to never have them wear ivory? In Response to Re: Help! Ivory Shirts! :
    Posted by jedrzeja[/QUOTE]
    She probably says that because ivory shirts look dingy.  Unless your dress is noticeably on the yellowish side of ivory then white shirts will look better with your dress.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-ivory-shirts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:91917dec-472e-42f8-b198-0567da796ca2Post:8305e47b-e07d-4b4a-8875-b3ea93f81fdb">Re: Help! Ivory Shirts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just curious, why do you say to never have them wear ivory? In Response to Re: Help! Ivory Shirts! :
    Posted by jedrzeja[/QUOTE]

Because....most bridal gowns that are ivory aren't the same kind of ivory that a mens dress shirt is.  Ivory bridal gowns are often softer and more subtle.  If you look at it by itself, you would often not even know it's ivory.  Ivory is often chosen because it looks better with most skin tones on most women.

Ivory dress shirts are often more noticeable in the ivory color.  It just doesn't look as crisp and clean.  I think mens ivory dress shirts definitely look dingy.  Having the men wear white insures they look sharp and you will NOT notice the difference against a womans ivory bridal gown. 
  • My photographer told me this.  White shirts look no different from ivory both in pictures and to the naked eye.  Don't sweat it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • All of my guys are wearing ivory shirts and they found them at Kohls and JC Penneys. The shirts look great (althought they aren't wearing tuxes they are wearing brown pants). I am also having them wear bouts and they aren't wearing jackets and those look great too.

All of the ivory shirts we found are without pockets.

Good luck.   :)

172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your help!
  • Really?  Great!  I haven't tried Kohls yet.. only looked online.  Do you think the shirts are about the same color as your ivory dress or are the shirts a bit darker?  Everyone seems to be saying that the ivory shirts are darker than the ivory dresses.

Thanks for your help!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-ivory-shirts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:91917dec-472e-42f8-b198-0567da796ca2Post:0c5bac7c-781e-49af-b188-faa2ccf0d3aa">Re: Help! Ivory Shirts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]All of my guys are wearing ivory shirts and they found them at Kohls and JC Penneys. The shirts look great (althought they aren't wearing tuxes they are wearing brown pants). I am also having them wear bouts and they aren't wearing jackets and those look great too. All of the ivory shirts we found are without pockets. Good luck.   :)
    Posted by ktelizabeth86[/QUOTE]
  • The shirts don't match my dress exactly, but that isn't really what I was going for. I wanted ivory shirts b/c they looked better with the brown pants the guys are wearing. I don't think it will matter if they match exactly.

Good luck!
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards