Attire & Accessories Forum

What color shirt with a gray suit?

Hello ladies

On a whim, FI and I went into Express Men and looked at their suits.  He tried on a medium gray one that he really likes because it's very slim-fitting.  And I really like it too.  He'll probably buy it or something similar.

Although he liked the suit, we had a hard time with what color shirt he should wear.  He didn't actually try the shirts on, but we held up different color shirts to the suit.  We tried it with a really light blue and a lavendar shirt--didn't look good.  We tried darker colors, and he really liked this purpley-maroonish color.  So the shirt is darker than the suit.

I didn't really like it.  It's not what I really envisioned, especially since it's a daytime summer wedding.  I guess I like the idea of a white shirt, gray suit, and either a gray, black, or maybe some kind of color tie (he doesn't want a vest).  But he said he thought that the white shirt looked like he was "just going to work".

Don't get me wrong, this is not a hill I will die on.  If he really wants the dark purpley-maroonish shirt, he can have it.  But before we buy, I'd at least like to get some outside opinions (since neither one of us are really fashion savvy) and get him to just TRY a few other colors.  And actually try them on.

So what do you think goes well with a gray suit?

Below is the suit, BTW, and thanks in advance.

SaveSave

Re: What color shirt with a gray suit?

• I think white really would look nice. And it doesn't have to look like he's going to work.... I think the gray suit itsef is less "work-like" and if he adds color with the tie I think itd look great.
  • We got my fiance a slim fitting gray suit too and he will be wearing it with an ivory shirt and a plaid ivory/gray tie since my dress is ivory and we figured a plaid tie was a good comprise so that his dad would be ok with my fiance not wearing a kilt, both our families are of Scotish decent. It all looks really nice together. His pop of color will come from his blue and lilac bout.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_what-color-shirt-with-a-gray-suit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:9f1f9b29-9c7f-45db-9637-b33d5d239ed4Post:b0d2ed61-e8c6-4181-8578-2f580c2bac8f">Re:What color shirt with a gray suit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got my fiance a slim fitting gray suit too and he will be wearing it with an ivory shirt and a plaid ivory/gray tie since my dress is ivory and we figured a plaid tie was a good comprise so that his dad would be ok with my fiance not wearing a kilt, both our families are of Scotish decent. It all looks really nice together. His pop of color will come from his blue and lilac bout.
    Posted by 091109brIANna033013[/QUOTE]

That does sound nice!  I love the sound of a plaid tie... but I'm not sure FI will be on board.  And I should remind him that his bout will have color too.

SaveSave
  • FI will probably wear a white shirt with his grey suit and plaid purple tie and the guys will probably be in light purple (we saw it all together at MH and liked it)
  • Yeah, I think before we buy I need him to at least try on a grey suit with a white shirt (maybe ivory) and some kind of fun tie.  I think that would look better than the darker shirt.

If he doesn't like it and still wants the purple, that's okay.  But at least I tried.

SaveSave
  • I agree that it's better he looks like he's going to work than he's going out for a night of clubbing.

A white shirt is appropriate.  He can add a pocket square or tie for a pop of color.  White shirts are more appropriate for a formal occasion, and are definitely more appropriate for a daytime event.
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_what-color-shirt-with-a-gray-suit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:9f1f9b29-9c7f-45db-9637-b33d5d239ed4Post:e75796c7-40ba-427d-bf57-09ef1f78fb88">Re: What color shirt with a gray suit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dress shirts are white.  Any color tie would be fine.  You will be a lot happier with your wedding picures in 20 years if he is wearing a traditional suit and shirt, rather than something too trendy.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Well, then looks like my father is trendy since he wore this exact suit, a black shirt, and a burberry tie (I'm not name dropping, it's the only way I know how to describe the pattern).  He looked very handsome too.  I promise in 20 years when I look at those pictures, I'll think the exact same thing.
  • Thanks for your advice, everyone!  I'm glad I asked.

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards