Attire and Accessories

Can I rent a wedding dress??

I am interested in renting a wedding dress. I still want an awesome dress, but see absolutely no reason to pay $1000 for a dress that I will wear for a few hours. I have no desire to keep the dress in a box and store it for the rest of my life... it all seems kind of pointless to me.

However, I don't know if this service even exists! Has anyone on here rented a wedding gown or heard of anyone renting one? How would I find a store that does this - or will they all just laugh at me? I know I can buy a dress and then sell it after the wedding... but it is hard to sell wedding dresses and you lose most of the money you spent anyhow.

In short, I want an awesome dress for a cheap rental price. Does this exist?

Re: Can I rent a wedding dress??

• Yes, rental dresses exist. Consult your local board, perhaps they know of a place.

However, I just want to point out that you don't need to spend $1K to get a nice wedding gown. There are lots of resources where you can buy one for much less than that ... and if you don't feel like trying to re-sell it afterward, you could always donate it to a worthy cause, like Brides Against Breast Cancer for example, so that another woman has the opportunity to wear a lovely gown.

You could buy a gown from,,, Craigslist, eBay or the Nest's Trash to Treasure board. Some of these dresses are used, and some are brand-new and are just being sold by brides who found a better dress or had to cancel their weddings. has some nice dresses for under $500. So do department store websites, like, and even had simple wedding dresses at one point. David's Bridal and Group USA sell wedding gowns for low prices. Some bridal salons will sell you a sample for $500 or less, depending on the designer. Alfred Angelo gowns usually aren't that expensive, and I'm sure there are other designers that people here can suggest.

You could also order a bridesmaid's dress in white or ivory. This probably wouldn't run you more than $300. And some BM gowns today could *easily* pass as wedding gowns. If they're too plain for you, you could always jazz them up with some knockout jewelry, or some accessories (colored or jeweled sash, have a seamstress add some beading, great shoes, intricate veil, etc.).

But, yes, renting a gown is totally possible. Sorry that I don't know a website offhand.
  • I completely agree with mcbdefg and she had provided you with some great options.  I purchased a very simple dress from and took it to a seamstress to add some small details.  I paid less than $200 for it and it is simply lovely.

Also, try  They have some nice dresses that are inexpensive.

Also, some larger cities like Chicago (where I live) have bridal consignment shops that sell proe-owned designer dresses at a discount.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards