Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

cutting train off

there's a dress that i'm strongly considering as the one. but it has a crazy long train which i don't like. i just think it's too much dress. is it weird to cut the train off so there's only a little bit of one which i don't need to bustle?

Re: cutting train off

• Options
    from age 11 to 20 my daughter belonged to an organization where girls wore long dress/formal gowns to many/most meetings and events. In many states the state officers where white dresses and often buy wedding gowns on sale and cut the trains off.  Unless there is a lot of detail on it, you should be able to shorten it to any length you want. One of the things to watch is that not all of the detail/interest of the dress is in the train, if  it is and you cut it off then you may lose what makes the dress interesting or pretty.

If you have the train cut off, go to a private seamstress or do it yourself.  I don't know current prices but just a few years ago David's wanted $80 to cut a simple train off. Our seamstress charged us $18.  David's kept trying to hire our seamstress but she wouldn't work for them and her reason was she could not/would not charge the high prices David's would have required her to charge.
  • Options
    opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I have seen it done in the past with good results. Just make sure you're not going to hurt the overall line of the dress, or make any lace/beaded trim along the hem look weird by doing this.
  • Options
    Ditto opalsky.
  • Options
    I don't see why not but even if you have a sweep train you might consider a small bustle.  My bustle ended up looking like a sweep train and people kept stepping on it all night.  I didn't mind that but I did mind being jerked back every time someone did that.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I also agree with opalsky
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards