Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it really necessary?

So I bought my dress off the rack at a sample sale and I am not sure what needs to be done other than alterations.
Its is fantastic condition, I couldn't find any marks or anything, only some of the applique flowers were a little ruffled. The salon said they will spot clean it for me, but if I want they can send it out for me to be cleaned, which is $175.00 before my next fitting. Another place I found is minimum $200.00.This is another expense that I was not expecting.I sort of wanted to get it cleaned since other people probably tried it on, but I also hear it's not worth the risk to clean ahead of time in case something happens.

It's at the salon now getting altered and my next/final fitting isn't until two weeks before my wedding so I won't really have time to take it elsewhere after.

Anyone else who bought a sample, did you get it fully cleaned first? Is $175 normal? Does it need a dry clean, be pressed or maybe just a steam to un-wrinkle?

Re: Is it really necessary?

• Options

Since it isn't dirty and the salon said they will spot clean it for you I don't really think it needs to be sent out for dry cleaning.  Now, if it smelled then that might be a different story.  I would also make sure your salon steams or presses it your dress once they are done with alterations.

I got my dress cleaned and preserved for about $200 so $175 seems high to me for just a cleaning but prices differ from area to area.

• Options
    If it was me...I would want it cleaned...People sweating and stuff in something about about to wear, ick. Just for piece of mind I would want it cleaned.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    <------- trust this girl who used to work at a wedding gown store. People sweat and many sample gowns get straight up nasty. I would get it cleaned just for peace of mind.

However, I would definitely get written confirmation that should ANTHING happen at the cleaner they send it to (aka-your dress being messed up, discolored, or destroyed for any reason at the cleaner) that they will reimburse you the cost of the dress (or whatever you've paid for already). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Agree, I would want it cleaned too!  Trying on dresses can get HOT.....I wouldn't want to spend the day in a dress others sweated in.

• Options
    I bought off the rack as well. And NOPE! Didn't get it cleaned. It was nearly spotless and I'm not that OCD about things so I thought it was just fine. I didn't bother getting a quote :P 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards