Attire & Accessories Forum

Buying a dress online

Has anyone heard of the site ebuywedding?  Of course I found a dress on their site that I love, and its quite reasonably priced - but I'm afraid it may not be a reputable site.  I'd love to have the whole trying on dresses in the store and finding "the one" experience - but as a plus-sized girl living in a small town my options are incredibly limited. 

Any ideas for reputable sites that sell plus-sized gowns which don't break the budget (and don't make me look like a beached whale? ;) ) would be appreciated!!

Re: Buying a dress online

• It's a chinese knockoff site.  Read the FAQ at the top of this forum, and you will see that there are plenty of horror stories about buying online.

I don't know what "break the budget" means to you. (that could mean $100.00 to some people, and $2K to others.

If you are on a budget, I would suggest trying to find your dream gown used. 

Recycledbride.com
    oncewed.com
    preownedweddingdresses.com

Mori Lee and Alfred Angelo both have beautiful plus size lines.  My dress was a Mori Lee and it was around $1100.00.   But, I tried on quite a few that were in the $700-900 range.

If you want to post a picture of your dream dress here, we may be able to help you find the real designer, and then you could search for the same dress used.

Also, if you haven't tried dresses on, you should.  The dresses look dramatically different in pictures compared to what they look like on a real bride, especially a plus size bride.   You should make sure you know what styles look good on your figure and what bridal size you are.

Bridal sizing is very different than sizing for your street clothes.  They can be as much as 2-3 sizes different.  So, if you wear a 18 in street clothes, you may be in a 22 or 24 dress. 
  • Also maybe you could ask the girls on your local board of any shops that have a lot of plus-sized gowns. Particularly if they have a lot off the rack (which will be substantially cheaper).
    Bottom line, never buy a wedding dress from overseas, and definitely don't buy anything you haven't first tried on.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_buying-a-dress-online-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:be5061e8-07f8-49f4-9e52-4ff075a35bc1Post:d2456812-4336-4cab-9b41-e258ab5cb4fe">Buying a dress online</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone heard of the site ebuywedding?  Of course I found a dress on their site that I love, and its quite reasonably priced - but I'm afraid it may not be a reputable site.  I'd love to have the whole trying on dresses in the store and finding "the one" experience - but as a plus-sized girl living in a small town my options are incredibly limited.  Any ideas for reputable sites that sell plus-sized gowns which don't break the budget (and don't make me look like a beached whale? ;) ) would be appreciated!!
    Posted by jennynicole722[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Congrats on your nuptials.. try Davids Bridal.  I am purchasing mine from there. I already did some searching and some fittings and I like them alot. </div>
  • If you post a picture of the dress that you found on the Chinese knockoff site, we could hopefully find a similar one from a reputable source!
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Salons can be a problem if you're a plus size bride.  First of all to get a dress to fit you have to look at a number two sizes above what you normally wear.  I had to try on size 14's (not generally considered a plus size) because we couldn't either zip up a twelve or it wouldn't go over my hips!  If I was lucky, a salon would have more than two dresses in a size 14 for me to try on.  I think your best bet is David's bridal.  I think they'll have more than one dress for you to try on.  This is twofold because you get to see how the styles look on you and you get the trying on part.  Then I would suggest ebay or etsy.  (I bought mine from ebay!)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_buying-a-dress-online-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:be5061e8-07f8-49f4-9e52-4ff075a35bc1Post:de7dcbeb-aa80-4056-a6a6-7cf46e6920cc">Re: Buying a dress online</a>:
    [QUOTE]Salons can be a problem if you're a plus size bride.  First of all to get a dress to fit you have to look at a number two sizes above what you normally wear.  I had to try on size 14's (not generally considered a plus size) because we couldn't either zip up a twelve or it wouldn't go over my hips!  If I was lucky, a salon would have more than two dresses in a size 14 for me to try on.  I think your best bet is David's bridal.  I think they'll have more than one dress for you to try on.  This is twofold because you get to see how the styles look on you and you get the trying on part.  Then I would suggest ebay or etsy.  (I bought mine from ebay!)
    Posted by ArcheryGirl1[/QUOTE]

I had no problems in most salons, but I was also VERY careful to call ahead and make sure they had plus size samples.  (and no, a 14 is not a plus size in wedding dresses).

I went to one salon who said they had "A HUGE selection of plus size samples", and they had two...  not two racks, but TWO dresses. I was in and out of there in 5 minutes. 

I learned my lesson and literally called around to the stores I was interested in going to, asked them about the designers I was interested in, and specifically asked how many dresses they had in plus sizes.    I had HORRIBLE luck at Davids Bridal.
  • I wouldn't buy a wedding gown on line on a bet and someone else's money
  • Thank you everyone for your advice and input.  After some searching I did find what appears to be the dress designer for the dress I love. 

Of course they don't carry it in my size - looking into having it customized if I can afford that.  My heart is set on a short vintage-ish styled dress since it's a casual picnic type of wedding. 

Thanks again - the search continues...

• lots of my freinds have bought wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses from the internet.  as the dresses that they bought are not too complicated, the dresses are very similar to the original one. they recommended 7foxmall.com. they have tried a few and they are satisfied with the one the most. the dresses are well fitted and gorgeous. no one would have guess they were bought from the internet at such as affordable price. just make sure that your measurements are correct if you are considering buying online. good luck in your search. hope you find your dream dress
  • THis is your wedding dress, don't try to save money and then get it shipped in wrong, or poor quality, you will have to pay a lot to get it fixed or end up buying another one.
  • That dress is super cute!
    Have you looked on Etsy?
    Just skimming "tea length wedding dress" in the handmade section got a ton of hits, most of them available to do plus-sizes for little to no extra charge.
    And the prices range from $150-$1500, so you should be able to find something that fits your budget.
    Also, you can look up feedback from the shop you're buying, and possibly even find a shop near where you live.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards