Attire & Accessories Forum

Which dress???

So I tried on Dress 1 today and nearly cried. I have been searching forever, and love the dress! It is a Maggie Sottero, discontinued... but I can still order it in my size for a limited time. It is $300 more expensive than Dress 2.

I have been stalking Dress 2 for months - love the picture of it. It is a Sottero & Midgley. But no one has a sample [within 6 hours of my location]. The dresses are very similar... both have the ruched bodice and a tulle skirt. How similar do you think the skirts are? If they are very similar... I would just buy dress 2 because it is cheaper. But since I've never tried it on, it scares me. Dress 2's skirt seems to be "stiffer" than dress one... but is that just because the model is wearing a crinoline thingie? I have no idea!

And I know I love dress 1, but it's definitely more than I wanted to spend. :( They gave me the style number for Dress 1, but they said it is "S5122" and Maggie usually has names for her dresses not numbers... I was hoping to find something consigned or used, but it's hard to search for if I don't have the write number/name. Any ideas?

Which dress would you buy?

Dress 1

Dress 2

Re: Which dress???

• I'm not you but I love elegance. And just the flow of dress 1 is gorgeous. walking show with that veil in the back is majestic.. I say float on with that one.

and speaking from experience, don't buy a dress unless you can try it on in person. !!! I was almost stuck with a crab and i was crying.. I hate that dress. 
  • I prefer #1.  I also would not buy a dress without trying it on.  Pictures can be deceiving and there may be more differences between the dresses than you can see (esp. since you've only seen #2 on a model). 

Are you able to cut $300 elsewhere in your wedding?  That's what I would do and go with #1!
  • edited March 2010
    I think #1 is absolutely gorgeous! And it sounds like you love it too. I would go through all of the dresses on the maggie website to see if you can find it's name and look on used sites to see if you can find one within your price range. If you can't find one in your budget is there anywhere you can cut costs or save up the few hundred more? It seems like $300 wouldn't be too difficult to save up in order to get the dress you love.

EDIT: Nevermind the part about checking the website..I just read your post below.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you're set on dress #1, but are really concerned about the cost, you should try calling Pearl's Place and see if they can order it for you.  I ended up ordering my dress from them and ended up paying less than half of what the local bridal shop quoted me.  I also got all of my bridesmaids dresses there.  Had perfect service all around and received all the dresses ahead of schedule.  Call then with the style number and designer and they'll give you a quote over the phone. 

http://www.pearlsplace.com/

Oh, and FYI, Pearl's Place is a reputable brick and mortar store in LA.  They do a huge mail order business and are able to give great discounts due to the volume that they sell (and because they don't inflate the prices as much as many other places).

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I searched for the style number (Maggies have a style number in addition to the name), and a couple of copy-sellers mention its called Florence.

To me, they look very very similar. It looks like SM just changed around where the embellishments go. If you've tried on other dresses with jewel-encrusted busts and liked them, and you don't have $300 to spare, I think you'll be okay ordering the SM dress. I've found that that solid beading in that location looks very awkward on me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love dress number 1 and it sounds like that is the one you like the best. I I know $300 is a big difference in cost but the way I think of it is that so much money is spent on rental fees, flowers, decoration etc that it may be worth cutting back somewhere just a little to feel beautiful on your day. I think it would be horrible to buy I dress you couldn't try on and then think "if only I bought dress 1"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards