Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

Hey Ladies, I need your advice. I found this really beautiful dress that looks amazing on me.
I was thinking about wearing it to a wedding. The wedding starts at 4pm for the ceremony and reception will shortly follow at about 6 - 7pm. I was telling a friend about it, and she thinks that I shouldn't wear red, because it will be 'asking for too much attention' and it's rude. I never really thought about this before, so I need advice. What do you guys think? Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

Re: Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

• Options
    I think I'd like to see the dress.

I've heard of this too, but I think theres a real difference between a classy red shift dress (for example) and a showstopper.

Maybe shade changes it too... Attire people can help here. I see darker reds and into burgundy as being less... 'in your face' than scarlets. I have a dark red dress I wouldn't hesitate to wear to a wedding.
  • Options
    I think it depends what it looks like.  If it is just a classic red dress, I don't really think it would be a big deal as long as you don't match it up with show stopping accessories.  Wear it like you would want someone to wear it to your wedding.
  • Options
    As far as I know, the only color that is truly off limits for guests is white. As the PPs have said, if it is a classy, red dress, go for it.  I would like to see pics before committing 100%, though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that white is the only off-limits color, but I wore red to a wedding once and felt REALLY out of place. Of course, it was a Mormon wedding and the dress probably was a little too "sexy" for the crowd. Live and learn... 
  • Options
    I think as long as it isn't an Asian or Indian wedding you are fine.
  • Options
    I've never heard this.  Can't wear white, now can't wear red?  I can see how a lipstick/blood red dress might draw the eye, but honestly many colors have a shade that would attract attention (hot pink, anyone?)

Personally, I feel like expecting your guests to avoid certain colors (maybe with the exception of white) and to dress in a mundane way or not to attact attention (IE, look attractive) is rude & inconsiderate.  A bride won't look any less beautiful because some of her guests are attractive, too.

photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think it woudl totally depend on the dress. It reminds me of an episode of "Whose wedding it is anyway" from years ago where the mother of the bride wore a bright red dress because as far as she was concerned it was her big day, not the brides. That's wrong reason to wear red, and that red gown was totally inappropriate. That being a said, I also agree that a tasteful simple red dress could be appropriate for an evening wedding.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    It depends.  I went to a Sunday afternoon wedding and the best man's date wore a floor length red gown with glitter all over it.  She looked like a cross between Jessica Rabbit and a cheap hooker.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If your red dress draws attention away from the bride and groom, they're doing it wrong. I say go for it. 

If the dress is inappropriate in red, it's going to be just as inappropriate in blue, green, pink, etc. (ex. a sparkly pageant dress, or gypsy BM dress). But if it would be fine in other colors, I don't see a problem with red.
  • Options

The only issues I would see with a red dress are the same as any other dress. If it's really tacky (ie tons of cleavage, your ass practically hanging out) then don't wear it. As long as it's tasteful you're fine.

As a PP said, if the couple is Asian, Indian or any other culture where red is the traditional wedding colour then I would stay away from it. Otherwise you're good to go.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I was told that wearing red to a wedding meant that you had slept with the groom...you have to love those old wives tales LOL!

Unless the dress you are planning on wearing is a huge ballgown with a low neckline and tons of sequins then I am sure the dress is fine.  I love red cocktail dresses and think they are appropriate to wear whenever you wish.  I doubt a basic red dress will take away any attention from a bride.

• Options
    It's what the person wearing the dress is doing that draws the attention, not the dress itself. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The click for the dress is "really beatiful dress".  I tend to agree with the others.  The color really isn't the issue as much as the style of the dress.  It's not something I would wear, personally.  But that's just because I think it's a bit short and I don't really wear short short dresses.  I think it's really more about the couple and the people that will be attending the wedding.  If they are more conservative, then it's likely you will get noticed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    From experience, I wore a bright red dress to a friends wedding. It was a conservative cut dress and while I was definately the only one in that bright of a color (which is typical, I like bright colors, my friends tend towards pale), it was fine and I wasn't out of place. If it had been a different cut of dress though, it would have been really weird. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-it-rudeinconsiderate-to-wear-red-to-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:dbd544b9-9c25-4181-a994-04e22d6fe22cPost:e8344c33-8058-4260-bf34-8180191eb40a">Re: Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's what the person wearing the dress is doing that draws the attention, not the dress itself. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree.  If the dress is inappropriate or tacky (sequins, low cut, slit up to heaven, etc come to think about it the Jessica Rabbit dress was all 3)  it draws attention.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_is-it-rudeinconsiderate-to-wear-red-to-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:dbd544b9-9c25-4181-a994-04e22d6fe22cPost:10c915cf-69f7-4678-b716-55906fac730e">Re: Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding? : I have to disagree.  If the dress is inappropriate or tacky (sequins, low cut, slit up to heaven, etc come to think about it the Jessica Rabbit dress was all 3)  it draws attention.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I agree. At my friend's wedding there was a girl wearing a dress that was so short her butt showed when she danced. Not cool.</div>
  • Options

I don't think it is necessarily rude or  inappropriate, but red is one of those colors that in the wrong dress or wrong shade can look really cheap.  After looking at the dress, I don't think that one is right for a wedding.  It is a little too tight and short IMO

• Options
    I've never heard of red being an off-limits color. As long as the dress is in good taste, I'd say you're good to go.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    As long as the bride isn't wearing red go for it.   And yes brides can wear red - my sister did, a friend did and it is very common in Asian weddings. 

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Looks like it is from Frederick's of Hollywood... soooo probably not appropriate for someone's wedding. Save it for the club, sister.
  • Options

That's my husband and I at an evening, summer wedding last year. 
    Red is just fine. 
    Although I always double check what the "colors" of the wedding are so I don't accidently look like I'm in the WP :o
    It's just another color... As long as you're not wearing white no one will think twice
  • Options
    Can you look at this macy's dress and tell me if the color is too bright? I bought this dress and I love how it looks. I am going to a wedding in September. The wedding colors are pink and gray. I am married and don't want to take the attention from the bride and also want to look clean and appropriate. 
  • Options
    I bought this dress that you can see if you click the link below and I was wondering if it would too bright to wear at a wedding my husband and I are planning to attend. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards