Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Thoughts on neckline alterations

So I am in love with a dress & hate the neckline. It is a straight across, and I have always wanted a sweetheart. Anyone have any insight or experience with altering a neckline into a sweatheart? I am sure an alterations dept will say it can be done, but I am trying to decide if it's worth hacking into a dress & risking what it could look like, or if I should just let it go....

Re: Thoughts on neckline alterations

• Options
    I had mine made into a sweetheart and I was nervous too, but I love the way it looks now.
    original:

Now:

Sorry the pictures are so crummy....

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    I don't have to have mine altered into a sweetheart, but some of the other dresses I kind of liked were straight across and I was told it would be very easy to alter to a sweetheart.
  • Options
    Mine was altered from straight to a slight sweetheart. It was very easy - just a little pinch and pin (didn't even need to cut). My dress had ruching on the top, no embroidery or beading, so even with the alteration, it looked like it was made that way.

I'd imagine that if your dress is fairly plain on the neckline, it should be easy; any embroidery or beading that would need repositioning would make it a little harder. Expect it to become more of a curvy type of sweetheart rather than a true sweetheart (coming to a point in the middle). But generally it's a very common alteration and usually pretty easy.

Just ask. It is one of those small details that actually makes a big difference in looking flattering.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options

i did this, I have a very small sweetheart and I love it, it was straight across

• Options
    I am doing this with mine, and I am so excited! I was also told that it is a very easy alteration.
  • Options
    Try pinning it so you can see how it might look with a sweetheart look first. Most places will pin it before they do any work to see how much they need to fix. That way you can see if you really want to change it or not.
  • Options
    Ditto pps, ask the alterations dept where you're having it done.  When mine comes in, I'm going to ask about having it done too.  I'm hoping it can be done, but I'm not sure because there's a lot of beading on it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Gives me hope it can work out :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards