Attire & Accessories Forum

Difference btwn Expensive and Inexpensive Veils???

Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between a expensive designer veil and and inexpensive one?

The salon I purchased my gown at had a plain 2 tier cathedral veil (by Ramona Keveza) for over $300. Despite paying for an expensive designer gown I thought the veil was not something I was willing to pay that much for so I ordered the same exact style from Wedding-veil.com for $52

I received the veil yesterday and its beautiful, actually nicer than the designer one.
Are expensive veils truly expensive only because of the designer name?

Re: Difference btwn Expensive and Inexpensive Veils???

• Yes designer name can rack up the price tag, but also some veils are a silk tulle others are poly. Also when lace gets involved there are different types with different prices as well. I have to agree with you it is not something I wanna splurge on but there are some differences.
  • My sister was looking at a beaded one for $500+ and they said it was because it was all hand beaded and made in the US. She bought almost the same one from DB, but I guess it was machine beaded (gasp!). So perhaps the plain ones are hand gathered and such. I agree-- I can't see spending hundreds on a veil, although I can see if more for ones with lace that match your dress.

• edited February 2010
    The place I bought my dress wanted $300 and up for their veils and none of them even looked good with my dress. I ended up finding one for $15 that matched perfectly and still looks great. I couldn't imagine spending over $300 on a veil..
    especially when I have plenty of other important wedding related things I could be spending that money on!!
  • I'm actaully not wearing a viel, however, I have a little experience with them from my friends. Only one friend of mine got a designer viel ($250) and it was because the beads were glass and the gems were real. It was also hand sewn. For my friends who bought the cheaper viels, the beads were plastic, as well as the gem stones. It was obviosly not hand sown, so be careful of minor snags.

I guess it's all about the details and what you think is important!
  • I honestly can't tell the difference visually. And I totally agree with PP... a veil is not something I want to spend a large quantity of money on. I do think that wearing a veil is important because anyone can wear a white dress... but only a bride can wear a veil. I tried on several different veils in the salon where I bought my dress and many of them were extremely pricey... so my MOH is letting me borrow her veil, which looks absoutely wonderful with my dress, especially since it was for the wonderful price of free! =)
  • actually... nothing.
    ur paying for the designer name nowadays.
    someveils will be more expensive than others too, depending on the fabric they used.
    but yes, ur paying for the name.
  • I think the biggest thing is whether it was hand made or machine made, but the materials (as PP said, silk vs. poly) affect the price too.

Whatever.  My sister/MOH is a seamstress, and I do beadwork, so with my grandma's help (since she's done wedding veils before), we're going to DIY it.  We already have the tulle, now we just have to get the supplies for the beadwork.
  • I could not imagine spending that much on veil.

I bought my gown at Alfred Angelo and all of the veils were not quite what I wanted and they were $200+. I decided to look at DB's veils and they were still pretty expensive.

I ended up having a veil custom made by a seller on Etsy, it is gorgeous and matches my dress so beautifully. Best of all it only cost $45 including shipping.
  • I personlly wouldn't pay 200+ for a veil, but i am also going to wear my mom's veil and it goes reallly well with my dress.  It is my "something old".  :)
  • I totally agreed with you about not spending $200 plus on a veil...I was going to spend $30 on one on ebay and be happy!  But then I found a lady who hand-sews monograms on to veils, and I fell in  love.  So I am payig $250 for that, but I think the hand workmanship and uniqueness make it work it!
  • I tried on a relatively expensive veil at the salon that I purchased my dress from.  My consultant there told me not to bother buying it from them since they (veils) are to expensive.  She said to go on-line and I can find a nice one for a fraction of the price.  I thought that was very kind since she would be losing out on the sale of a pricey veil.  Talk about honesty.
  • I picked out a cathedral length, lace edged veil with scattered swaravski crystals at the bridal salon for over $400. Idea in mind, I signed up for a veil making class at the local fabric store and hand made an exact replica for under $50. The hardest part was cutting the right curve but the experienced teacher helped with all of it. My veil turned out beautiful and I could not ask for more.
  • Girls,

Thanks for all of your posts, i feel much more confident now that my veil will not look cheap compared to the gown. I went to the salon and tried the entire look on with my "budget friendly" veil and it looked stunning with my gown.

Most places on line will let you exchange or return a veil if you dont like it so I definitely recommend ordering one and trying it on with your gown before splurgining on a designer one.

• I was looking for a softer veil that wasn't hugely poufy or scratchy, and found one at a bridal salon, but it was $200 on sale.  When I bought my dress, though, the second veil I tried was just as nice as the $200 one, fit my criteria, and was $36.

In short, I don't see a difference and your guests probably won't see a difference, but your bank account will.  Good job finding your veil for a fraction of what you thought it would cost!
  • I paid $250 for mine - it's nothing special in the way of lace and beading etc. and I didn't even think I was going to wear one,  but it made me cry (my Mom too) and it made the dress feel so much like a wedding dress.  I splurged on it because my dress was under budget and it matched perfectly.  Could I have gotten it for less - sure, do I have time to shop for it - no.  I hear Etsy has some great stuff though!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • The veil I loved from the bridal shop where I got my dress was 300+ dollars and I just couldn't justify it.  I found the same exact style on Etsy.com for just $30 and I love it!  When you look really close I think you can tell the difference between the expensive one and my homemade one but I only plan on wearing my veil to the ceremony and for pictures so I'm not worried about it. 
  • yes, i'm sure the designer name has a lot to do with it.  there are also quality factors to consider such as fabric, embelishments such as lace or beading, and whether its hand made.  honestly the only people that would be able to tell the difference are professional seamstresses and bridal consultants.

if you really love the $52 veil, then go for it.  if it was me, i would feel the same way that you do - if the  veils look exactly the same, why pay the extra $250?
  • i don't know if this is relevant, but my veil was custom made (by a woman who runs her own business out of her home, but has been doing it for 20 years and does beautiful work) with an attached silk flower headpiece with beading and feather embelishments and it was about $175 including shipping.  just something to compare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards