Attire & Accessories Forum

Bill Levkoff Bridesmaid Dress Ordering Time Frame/My Fat Ass

Hi ladies! I seldom start posts over here, but I need help. I am a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. She said I can have any long style Bill Levkoff dress in Plum.   Pretty!  I am excited. 

However, her wedding is March 1.  I am the heaviest I've ever been and have been planning to go on a diet.   I want to order the dress as late as possible so that I can be closer to the weight I"ll be at her wedding when I order it, but I understand that we have to order pretty early.   I am new to the "designer BM dress thing."   I had my own dress made by a seamstress when I got married and the only other time I was in a wedding we wore DB dresses which could be bought off the rack.

When's the last day you think I could order a Levkoff BM dress for a March 1 wedding?  I'll be getting my alterations done by the woman who made my wedding dress; I expect I should allow 2 weeks for alterations based on how long she took with my dress.   So I guess I need to shoot for dress-delivery-day being Feb. 15? 

I know that it's risky to order sizes smaller than when you try on the dress because of not losing the weight, etc.  I don't want to go that route, and I won't.  That said, I am confident that I'll be at least 3 sizes smaller than I am sitting here right now than I will be in March.    I am just wondering when the latest time to order is so I can get something that fits my measurements at the time I order the dress.  

Re: Bill Levkoff Bridesmaid Dress Ordering Time Frame/My Fat Ass

• It took my mom's Bill Levkoff dress about 4 months to come in (she wore a BM dress as her MOB dress).  I'd just ask the boutique you are going to shop at how early you should order to have it in by Feb. 15th.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I work at a bridal store and we tell girls to order 6 months in advance just to make sure that if there are any problems it can be sent back and a new one sent in its place. Go into the store you plan to order it from and ask about their recommended timeline and share your predicament with them--they likely will have the best advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    My BP ordered their Bill Levkoff dresses the first week of March and they arrived in July, about 16 weeks. For some reason, the dresses we chose ran true to size, and the girls all measured bigger so they had to have major alterations done. I think it was because it was not the most fitted dress. If you order a flowy style, the size will be more forgiving. Good luck!
  • Ask your boutique to be sure, but my BMs were quoted 3 months for arrival of the dresses and to allow 1 month for alterations.  As Duds said, some were shocked that they were measuring a much larger size than they normally wear, but they went by the sizing chart (by recommendation of the shop which deals with Bill Levkoff a lot) and hopefully they'll fit!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I figured I could ask the shop, but I wanted to know what a realistic turn around time would be.  I just don't buy the "order 6 months early" thing coming from the shop if that's just for their convenience and not because that's how long the actual manufacturer takes.  So looks like 5 months early is probably the best bet. 
  • I just had all of my girls order their bridesmaid dresses from Bill Levkoff last week, (June 21st) for my October 13th wedding. It was the last day that they could order without being charged the rush fee and they said that the shipping dates are around mid-September. They said the actual delivery can take up to two weeks after the ship date, but their alterations can be done quickly if needed. Hope this helps!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Maybe you could pick a style that will be easy to take in?

My advice is to order the latest you feel comfortable based on the stores recommendation, and place it for the size you are THAT DAY.   Then when the dress comes in, have it altered to whatever size you happen to be at the time.

The last thing you want is pressure that you HAVE to lose the weight or the dress won't fit.  Things come up, sometimes losing weight isn't as easy as you think it will be, and the last thing you want is a dress that is too small.   You can ALWAYS have a dress taken in:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Oh wow - we ordered Bill Levkoff dresses on May 8 for an Oct 27 wedding. They told me at the store it usually taks 12 weeks! I am starting to freak out a little after reading this thread, since everyone is saying 16 weeks. That puts us into mid-September! EEEK!
  • just ask them how long it will take the dress arrive for the style you want and then you can plan when can you order. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards