December 2012 Weddings

RSVPs early because of December date?

Hi!  We are getting ready to send out our Save The Dates and with us getting married on Decemeber 29th, we have no idea whether that will allow more people to be able to make it or less people.  Our guest list is quite a bit over our capacity at both the church and reception venue, but again with that time of year we are thinking we will be okay.  My mom is wanting us to put a note in the STD about if you know you will not be able to attend our wedding because of Christmas plans, please let us know.  I am not sure if that is tacky or not, or if there is a better way of going about it.  My fiance suggested putting something on our wedding website on here about it as well... Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!!

Re: RSVPs early because of December date?

• DO NOT invite more people than can fit. It's seriously asking for trouble, because what if a lot of them can come, and you say quite a bit? One or two people over is minor and manageable but quite a bit could get seriously problematic. What if because it's over Christmas more pople could come? We've already been informed by several people that we did not expect to come that they would be there come hell or high water, so counting on people not coming is not a good plan. Cutting guest lists sucks, we had to do it because the church doesn't hold as many people as we want to invite, but seriously, don't tempt fate by over inviting. 

Also, putting a note in the STD is a bit weird, because it's not an invitation, and a lot of people might not know yet, I know that l have no idea what I'll be doing on the 29th (if we'll be on our honeymoon or back home or visiting in-laws or what) and my December is much more planned out than your average because of the wedding. I wouldn't say it's tacky per say, but since you still need to invite the people that you send STDs to (it's rude not to) there's no point in asking for RSVPs yet.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I are also getting married on the 29th and have come across the same issue. We are sending our invitations out the beginning of September and giving our guests 2 months to reply. We figure that by the beginning of Nov. our guests should know if they are coming or not and have made plans (seeing 90% are coming in from out of state). We were thinking about having a "B" list for ppl who we didnt have room for initally but want to invite if space allows and sending out invites in the beginning of Nov. for them.
  • I am also getting married on 12/29/12. We sent out our save the dates back in April. I think its a smart idea to speak to individual people about if they are going to make it. Don't go over the capacity of your ceremony and reception site. Just invite the max and expect that not all of them will make it. Don't go over in hopes that some will not attend. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards