Snarky Brides

Anyone get allergy shots?

I just got one today, for the first time. I thought I had a sinus infection or strep because 2 people at work had sinus infections, and my throat and ears have been killing me, but the doctor said it's just allergies with me. I had always thought allergies made you sneeze and sniffle, unless it was a food allergy. I haven't had anything different or new in the last few days, so I don't think it's food. I'm really tired now after my shot, like I want to take a three hour nap. Do you think it's from the shot, or just from feeling so crappy?

Also, do you have to get allergy shots a lot? I got the impression this is a one time (or on a case by case basis).

And yes, I will talk to an actual doctor about this stuff, but I didn't think about it while I was at the office.
Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Anyone get allergy shots?

• I get allergy shots. It is  approximately s 3 year progression of injections. In the beginning II got them 3x a week. Im on my third year and now i go every other week. They are admnistered by my allergist and are meant to build my immunity to things Im allergic to. The serum is formulated for y specific allergies as diagnised by extensive testing.

I bet what you got today was a hydrocortisone shot. It probably made you drowsy. My shots sometimes itch and swell at the injection site, but never make me feel sick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Ditto Sarah except I only had to go once a month once I reached maintenance.  My arms also were really sore afterwards for a day or so.  If you do get tested, ask for a food crossover chart (I forget the actual name).  My allergy doc gave it to me and it listed potential foods (fruits and veggies) that I could be allergic to based on the results of my non-food allergies.  I was able to monitor to see if I had any reactions to specific fruits and veggies.
  • I just finished 3 years worth of shots. I started at weekly, then went to every two weeks, then every 3 weeks, then monthly. It definnitely helped and made a difference IMO. I think you are tired because you aren't feeling well.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with PP that you likely did not get an allergy shot today but instead received a hydrocortisone injections.  Allergy shots (also called immunotherapy) are done using a serum that is formulated for the individual receiving the injection.  Therefore, you have to undergo extensive testing (skin pricks/injections of many, many different allergens, and sometimes also bloodwork).

Immunotherapy is usually over a span of 3 years or so and you increase the dosage gradually over time. I think my shots started out at 1:1000 ppm and my next step was 1:100 ppm.  I am supposed to go once a week but I forgot last week.  The injection site does swell and itch sometimes and I sometimes feel crappy afterwards when they have increased my dosage; otherwise, I do not notice any side effects.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did your allergy shots allow you to be in the same room as a pet and play with them? I don't know if any of you were allergic to cats or dogs. I am allergic to their dander, skin and salivia, but I want a puppy so badly. I have been thinking about shots.

• All courses are different.  Mine was 2x a week for 2 years - going through 5 different viles of concentrate.  I also know that people have different reactions to the shots.  I got red and itchy near the injection site, but I had a coworker who would actually need to take benadryl/allergy meds after because it affected her badly.

When I compare my life before, I do know that the shots have improved my allergies; however, they have not removed allergies completely by any means.  Allergies can change and evolve overtime - it's the pits!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards