Snarky Brides
Options

Regional Questions.

13»

Re: Regional Questions.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:f3f7ef93-4d55-46fd-95a9-db439f890127">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]*If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? Indiana.  I am incredibly sad that my parents are putting their house on the market and looking to move soon, so I won't have a "home" there anymore :(Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

I hear ya girl! My parents sold my childhood home and built a new house this year and I was incredibly sad. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new house, it's wonderful, but there's just something so sad about not being able to go back to my old house.

At least my parents still live in my hometown though! I'm trying to convice DH to move back there after residency.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:eb2d6f18-d3d4-44d4-8847-ed8665d986fe">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Regional Questions. : Neither.  "You guys".
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

You's guys???
  • Options
    I'm an "all ya'll" girl. And after 4 years I think I've converted H from his yankee talk.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:3f5046b0-c4bd-486e-b68b-75725cde6be1">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Regional Questions. : I hear ya girl! My parents sold my childhood home and built a new house this year and I was incredibly sad. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new house, it's wonderful, but there's just something so sad about not being able to go back to my old house. At least my parents still live in my hometown though! I'm trying to convice DH to move back there after residency.
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

<div>I hope you're able to convince him to move back!  My mom is retiring at the end of November (dad retired several years ago) and they want to move to NC as soon as they get the house sold.  We're going to Indiana for Thanksgiving, and I'm afraid it'll be the last time before they move :( </div>
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    y'all or all y'all...depending on the size of the crowd I'm speaking to or how it's used.

"hey y'all, what's up" or "Hey, all y'all come on and eat"

ETA:  I've heard "you-uns" in the NC mountains near TN, I think that one's very localized
  • Options
    Another one from Texas:  do you get out of the car, or off the car when you are exiting your vehicle?
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm from Illinois, went to college in Minnesota and had a Wisconsin roommate who always used to say "TYME machine" when she was talking about the ATM.  Also, I had a friend from MN ask if I was going to join everyone for dinner.  I told him I was busy at dinner time, but that I was free for lunch.  We were both talking about the same meal. Apparently they use the word supper when they're talking about the evening meal.  Who knew?  So...here are some more to add:

dinner or lunch?
    supper or dinner?
    bubbler, or water fountain?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lunch
    dinner
    water fountain
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    dinner or lunch?
    -lunch, the people who say dinner are usually farmers

supper or dinner?
    -dinner is around 6, supper is around 9

bubbler, or water fountain?
    -fountain
  • Options
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? Illinois, but specifically Chicago--we have somewhat different phrases for things than the rest of the state

*Pop or Soda? Pop, but sometimes soda if the person I'm talking to says it

*Bayg or bahg? (bag) baag--like a sheep sound baaaa with a g

*Casserole or hot dish? Casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine? ATM or cash station

Sneakers or tennis shoes? Neither. Gym shoes

Cart or buggy? cart. buggies are for babies, and even then they're called strollers =)

Grocery store or supermarket? Grocery store or just the name of the store (the jewel, whole foods, etc.)

Sack or bag? Bag

Here's one: You all, y'all or all y'all? Y'all, but I have southern family

ADDED: Living Room or Front Room?
    Living room, though I've always heard people on the south side say front room
  • Options
    oh, and it's a remote. My friend in WI calls it a clicker
  • Options
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? I live in Columbus but my home state is Wisconsin born and raised!

*Pop or Soda? Soda (when you shorten a word you take the first not the last half - DUH)

*Bayg or bahg? (bag)  BAYG

*Casserole or hot dish? casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine?  TYME machine (and yes in colleged my econ prof gave me a D since I mentioned TYME machine and he said he stopped listening to me....WTF sorry I didn't call it a MAC machine jerk

imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    OH THANK YOU. Someone else who's heard of "Tyme machine." :)

I call a remote the 'changer'. Makes logical sense. ha
    lunch at noon, dinner at 5-9ish
    water fountain. I hate bubbler.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_regional-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06d09e5c-6c58-4cc6-b398-ffe5e1bdc7dcPost:bc475f83-96bc-485c-986d-d35c78c5ebf2">Re: Regional Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from Illinois, went to college in Minnesota and had a Wisconsin roommate who always used to say "TYME machine" when she was talking about the ATM.  Also, I had a friend from MN ask if I was going to join everyone for dinner.  I told him I was busy at dinner time, but that I was free for lunch.  We were both talking about the same meal. Apparently they use the word supper when they're talking about the evening meal.  Who knew?  So...here are some more to add: dinner or lunch? supper or dinner? bubbler, or water fountain?
    Posted by kbarker719[/QUOTE]

i use both dinner and lunch (lunch noonish, dinner after work) I DO NOT use supper

BUBBLER all the way! 

directional or turn signal?

hazard lights or 4 way flashers?
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state?  Georgia
    Pop or Soda? Coke..no matter what it actually is
    *Bayg or bahg? (bag)  bahg

*Casserole or hot dish?  casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine?  ATM.  I've never heard of a TYME machine

Local saying? Ya'll, but I hate when people around here say "fixin"..I'm fixin to go to the store...

Grocery store, cart, hot dog.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    *If you had to choose one, what do you consider your home state? Wisconsin
    *Pop or Soda? Soda

*Bayg or bahg? (bag) Bayyyyyge

*Casserole or hot dish? Casserole

*ATM or TYME Machine? haha... used to say TYME machine and have converted to saying ATM in recent years 

Sneakers or tennis shoes? Tennis Shoes

Cart or buggy? Cart.

Grocery store or supermarket? Grocery store

Sack or bag? Bag

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I use Bubbler.

And while I use "signal", it is incredibly common around here to say "blinker
    "

Also- Stop and Go lights vs traffic lights?

• Options
    edited November 2010
    My dad says "crick" for creek and "ruff" for roof. My grandma used to say slacks and dungarees, but I think that was mostly an old-person thing.

I'm from upstate NY, which is very different from NYC.
    Pop (but I've gotten used to calling it soda in CA)
    ATM
    bag - I dunno? Just bag.
    casserole
    cart
    sneakers
    grocery store AND supermarket, I think
    remote

Also, we pronounce elementary different from most people, I think. And pajaaamas and Nevaaada. Not Nevahda.

What about suckers vs. lollipops?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards