Snarky Brides

Can we discuss the Roman Polanski case?

Re: Can we discuss the Roman Polanski case?

• I think he belongs in jail
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's what I was going to post about if I could make new posts, which I can't.The people that are rallying around him piss me off immensely. "It wasn't rape-rape." If drugging and then vaginally and anally raping a 13 year old girl who said "no" every time she woke briefly out of her drug-induced haze isn't rape, then fucck, nothing is.

• I think prosecute him if he ever sets foot in the country, but chasing him to Switzerland and fighting to extradite him 30 years later when even the victum wants it dropped seems a monumental waste of judicial resources. Mostly, I was fascinated to learn that the Swiss would extradite.
  • It is disgusting. I think it is ridiculous that people still act in his movies and that he won an academy award a few years back. He should be in jail, not living it up. Someone in my office actually felt bad for him because of Sharon Tate. Last time I checked having something shitty happened to you doesn't give you a free pass to rape children.
  • I agree, noisy.And Fallin, if we don't extradite people who run, what does it tell people?  If you have the resources and can escape our borders, you get off free.  The only shame I see here is that it took 40 years to capture the b@stard in all the times he left France.I do, however, feel for the woman.  This will just open up old wounds for her.  I guess the bigger question is when is it okay to put a victim through a trial they don't want in order to send a message of deterrence to others?
  • I think he should pay for his crime, no matter how long ago it was.  I really don't like the French (though interestingly enough, I love french food) and this case doesn't make me feel any differently.I think what happened to Sharon Tate probably made him crazier than he otherwise would have been.  Doesn't change the fact that he fuucked a 13 yr old.  Gross.Oh, and I really like Rosemary's Baby.  That's one freaky movie and Mia Farrow is one of my faves.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • I also find it telling that one of his vocal supporters is Woody Allen--who should have also been arrested for statutory rape as far as I'm concerned!I think the Whoopi comment is as offensive as they come.
  • If drugging and then vaginally and anally raping a 13 year old girl who said "no" every time she woke briefly out of her drug-induced haze isn't rape, then fucck, nothing is.I didn't know this.  I thought she consented.  Isn't this exactly what happened in Rosemary's Baby**?  Interesting.**except for the whole Satan thing.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • It's been 30 years and the victim wants it dropped.  He owns property in Switzerland.  Not going after him for 30 year and now arresting him is ridiculous. I agree it sends a bad message, but so does letting 3 decades pass.
  • I think it's disgusting that he got away with it for as long as he did, but I'm kind of with Fallin.  Why didn't they do this years ago?  And I really feel for the victim.  His SIL going on television and saying "there's rape and then there's rape" is disgusting as well.And I do feel for him because of what happened to his wife.  It was horrible..  But that doesn't excuse him raping a child or serving only 50 days for doing it.What was the Whoopi comment?  I haven't heard that.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I really don't like the French (though interestingly enough, I love french food) and this case doesn't make me feel any differently.Oui en effet, les Français sont sneaky.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • You're right 30 years, not 40.But they have tried to go after him in that time.  France won't extradite, so every time they heard he left France, they tried to arrest him.  He eluded the authorities several times.  It's not like they just decided this was a good time to pick up an old case.
  • Whoopi reportedly said that it wasn't "rape rape."  She's not sure what it is, but it's not that.
  • I think it's disgusting that he got away with it for as long as he did, but I'm kind of with Fallin. Why didn't they do this years ago? Yeah, the whole situation is a cluster.  He's a slime, and should've been punished for his crime. When it happened.  But why the foff has it taken so long?  It's hardly "making an example" of someone if it takes 30+ years to do soAnd I really feel for the victim. His SIL going on television and saying "there's rape and then there's rape" is disgusting as well.I'd like to know her definition of rape.  You know, since this situation doesn't qualify.  Sickening
  • Prosecutors released a list of their efforts to nab the “Chinatown” director after he left the United States. Those efforts included requesting arrest warrants in England, Thailand, France and Israel since 1978.From this article:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33064282/ns/entertainment-celebrities/
  • I realize they have tried to catch him, but it just feels like too little too late at this point.  What is he, 80 years old now? 
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • She's said ever since it happened that she never said yes. Not that it really matters, because she can't legally consent anyway.The people coming to his side are the ones that disgust me most, and Whoopi (and Debra Tate's) "it's not really rape, it's just statutory rape" comments infuriate me. Oh well then, Mr. Pedophile, just go right ahead and have sex with all the 13 year olds you'd like. It's not REALLY rape.I have mixed feelings on going after him now, for cost and because of the victim's feelings, but he specifically picked France to live in because they don't extradite to the US though. It's not like he lived there first and there have been no chances to get him beforehand.

• I get so angry at people who make statements like Whoopi's.  It's as if anything other than being forced at knifepoint to have sex with a stranger suggests that the woman (girl) should shoulder some of the blame.  Rape is rape.  And even if she did consent, it still would have been rape.  She was 13 freakin' years old.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • but he specifically picked France to live in because they don't extradite to the US thoughExactly.  Not sentencing him now would be condoning absconding.
  • "There's rape and then there's rape" dances the same line that "kind of pregnant" does.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • I think it is never too late. I think he should be prosecuted.
  • I didn't have an issue with Whoopi.  She clearly stated none of it was her opinions and that she was just wanting be accurate in stating what he was actually convicted of.  She was totally right he wasn't convicted of rape it was engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor .  Did he rape her yes.  But legally thats not what he was charged for.
  • I think it is never too late. I think he should be prosecuted.Bingo. If it's not too late to prosecute pedophile priests, it sure as hell isn't too late to drag Polanski in whenever they can get their mitts on him. Funny I don't remember Whoopi and Debra Fuccking Winger rushing to Fr Whosit's defense...
    image Guess who?
  • I actually didn't know there had been multiple attempts to catch him.  I thought I read that when he was nominated for the Oscar for The Pianist, the LAPD pretty much put it out there that if he came, they wouldn't bother him or something.  Maybe it was a trap.Confession:  I find myself wanting to disagree with CS just because.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I would like for him to have to pay a shitload of fines and never be able to come into the US.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I didn't have an issue with Whoopi. She clearly stated none of it was her opinions and that she was just wanting be accurate in stating what he was actually convicted of. She was totally right he wasn't convicted of rape it was engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor . Did he rape her yes. But legally thats not what he was charged for.To-mayto, To-mahto, it's still a foffing crime.  And frankly I think the crime is heinous against ANY age, so I don't really care for the distinction
  • I read years ago that he thought she was 18 (I think because her mother/manager presented her as such) and that the plying with drugs and alcohol was less plying and more "it's 1978, let's party."  It may not be true, but if it is it colors things fairly significantly for me.  Even so, I can't imagine the money this is taking the taxpayers of CA, and the victim wants it dropped.
  • I read years ago that he thought she was 18 (I think because her mother/manager presented her as such) and that the plying with drugs and alcohol was less plying and more "it's 1978, let's party." It may not be true, but if it is it colors things fairly significantly for me. I am pretty sure the "I thought she was older" defense is standard in any case like this.
  • Yeah, but so it presenting girls as adults in Hollywood.  See Brooke Shields in nothing but her Calvins and nothing but the Blue Lagoon.
  • Confession: I find myself wanting to disagree with CS just because. No big surprise there; I figured this was the case.I didn't have an issue with Whoopi. She clearly stated none of it was her opinions and that she was just wanting be accurate in stating what he was actually convicted of. She was totally right he wasn't convicted of rape it was engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor . But why is she so insistent on pointing out the actual charge?  People plea down all the time and aren't charged with what they actually did.  If this was anyone else, she'd be leading the charge with pitchforks, screaming "RAPE."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards