Snarky Brides

H1N1 vaccination success

I got the shot this morning from my OB.  It was not the thimerosal-free version, but I figure this kid's got larger issues with me and H as his parents than a little bit of mercury in his blood.Lindsay (and others in the greater NY/NJ area) - it sounds like doctors around the area have finally gotten a shipment of vaccines, so if you want it, you may want to check in w/ your doctor to see if they have it.  Mine is only giving it to preg patients and is not alerting anyone that they have it - you have to call to find out.
image Mabel the Loser.

Re: H1N1 vaccination success

• Awesome, thanks. Re: thimerosal, word on the street is the mercury in the vax is not significantly more than you'd get eating a can of tuna.  And you're allowed one of those a week.  I wouldn't worry about it, particularly if you were able to get a thimerosal-free season flu shot.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • Good for you!! I know how irritated you were. I have heard the thermisol is so minimal anyway, that even some fish has more mercury.It is arriving in Houston at free clinics.
  • Yeah, I wasn't that concerned about the thimerosal.  I was getting totally annoyed bc everyone kept telling me that I needed the vaccine, but nobody had it.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • It's great that you were able to get access to one. My friend waited in line, outside in the rain, for two hours to get her 13-month-old son the H1N1 vaccination. This was a couple of weeks ago.And my sister-in-law's college is holding an H1N1 vaccine clinic next week, and they sent out an e-mail saying they only have 300 doses. There are like 3,000 people on campus. It's ridiculous.
  • why is a college getting some next week when many places with high risk people are still waiting for weeks?
  • It's an f-ed up system, Winged. But the college is planning to prioritize who gets it as well. Pregnant students/faculty, those with pre-existing health conditions, those with infants under 6 mos of age, and then those between the ages of 18-24. It's the last category that kills me. 18-24 years includes almost every single student on campus.
  • I think a college campus IS pretty high risk.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • i agree, but i dont think they should get enough shots for all 3000 students like i thought heather was saying when there are entire states that have no flu shots at all yet. I just don't understand the system.
  • No, they have 3,000 people but are only getting 300 doses. So clearly the state agrees with you, Winged.And it does make sense, but I just don't understand how they are going to truly be able to control whether a pregnant woman gets it over an 18-24 year old, when they're all considered "high risk" groups. There are going to be huge lines of people.
  • it't not even the pregnant woman thing. it is children with poor immune systems, people who work with high risk pops and places that have higher rates of infection and death, etc. I guess I just wish they have found a way to distribute this in a more even manner since they obviously don't have enough for everyone.
  • That's what's kind of scary, pretty much everyone seems to be a high-risk group. Usually college students are singled out, but in this case, the CDC has identified them as one, between how many young people are dying, the close quarters they live in, and how easily disease is transmitted.In fact, this is what the CDC says:Young adults 19 through 24 years of age because many cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza have been seen in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity, and they are a frequently mobile population;I agree that the system is confusing and possibly unfair, but it's not like they're giving it out all willy-nilly to anyone who asks. I'm a high risk group who hasn't been able to get access yet and yes, it's frustrating, but there are just so many factors involved.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • I would have less of a problem with it if it was at least available in all states at roughly the same amount of time. I could at least get behind that.
  • Lily and I both got our shots today. They are not available in the doctor's offices here, they have clinics set up in schools and public buildings. What a long day! I was there for four hours.
  • Winged, how did I miss the exchange that earned you the siggy quote about being a skank for using the word 'vagina?'  that is pure comedy.
  • bloomie, the best part was when she complained to the knot and i got an email saying to take her screen name out of my siggy or be banned.
  • that just makes me want to post it in my sig.  People.
  • i know. so i altered the name enough to keep the quote.
  • I finally got Alex on the list for the shot next Thursday. I don't think I've told you guys but turns out he has Reactive Airway Disease (Asthma, really). He's high risk and I've had to call everyday for almost a month.
  • Reactive Airway Disease sounds cooler because the acronym is RAD.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • It's the "Disease" part that scares the fluck out of me. Why do they have to call it a disease??
  • My daughter has Reactive Airway Disease too and just got her first dose of the H1N1 vaccine yesterday. She did really well which so far this is looking to be her best year with it. They say it can be outgrown by age 4, which she will be in December, otherwise they then label them as having asthma. It's pretty much just a way to say it without it being automatically permanent which asthma is. Thought the info might be comforting because it is a scary thing. 10/10/10 Bride!!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards