Snarky Brides
Options

Am I getting ripped off, or is this standard in the business?

My mom thinks this is nuts. She thinks I'm getting ripped off over the cost and his structure. I met with a videographer today, and he will cost $1400 for the following:- ceremony shot with 3 hi-def cameras, which include guests arriving, location details, ceremony and brides arrival
- processional and recessional 
- moments following the ceremony - congratulations etc. 
- reception - establishing shots, hall details guests arriving, candid shots, guests at tables, kissing games 
- introduction of bride and groom, wedding party 
- all speeches and toasts 
- father daughter dance, first dance etc.

IF I want him to come to my house before hand, that's an extra $800.
IF I want him to video the cake cutting, that's $50. 
IF I want him to video the bouqet toss / garter toss, that's an extra $50

ALSO, 50% of the deposit is required upon signing, and he owns all of the rights to the video
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Am I getting ripped off, or is this standard in the business?

• Options
    I would ask this question on your local board.  I'm in NYC so it sounds like a steal to me.  Areas differ greatly
  • Options
    I think you could do better, but Ootmother is right, your local board would know better than we would.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It sounds reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable.  I'm surprised that the garter toss and cake cutting cost extra though. 
  • Options
    Heels, it's probably extra because those things happen later on in the evening and the videog has to hang around to wait for them....(?)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-getting-ripped-off-this-standard-business?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:131e2501-03fc-4f79-899e-cf26209965c8Post:18e9b500-62be-4e31-bad6-5973036a1fb4">Re: Am I getting ripped off, or is this standard in the business?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds reasonable.  <strong>I'm surprised that the garter toss and cake cutting cost extra though. </strong>
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah me too, especially since he advertises he does full ceremony and reception, and then when I went home and CAREFULLY read over the 3 page contract, I saw it in small print that each are extra. </div><div>
    </div><div>It seems pretty slimy to me. It's not like he has to use any additional equipment, and since he is there in the reception hall anyways, why are these things extra??</div><div>I'm going to sleep on this one and decide tomorrow.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for your opinions ladies.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go with your gut.  If you are getting a shady feeling from this guy, find another vendor. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would totally get quotes from at least three diff people and see how they stack up. I agree it seems odd that he gives you a flat price for the WHOLE night and then charges you little extras for those things - how odd... (PS where I'm from $800 for one additional location - usually with just one camera - is pretty high, I've only seen "additional location" at an additional cost of like $250 or so - which was like $150 hr + $100 additional location fee)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I agree. I ALSO just found this: 

IF I want taping of the picture session, it's an extra $300, even though it's in the same location as where he will be
    IF I want clips taken of guests dancing, it's an extra $125 for 3-4 back-to-back songs.

My fiance thinks we definitely need to cancel, because when we met with him he said everything is included from 4pm - 1am, but reading his contract says differently. But I'm worried about backlash when we cancel. He knows my wedding date, wedding location, address - what if he tries to do something sketch? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm going to send him a registered letter tomorrow cancelling. 

Good lesson to others: don't be stupid like me. Take the time to actually READ the WHOLE contract before signing, no matter if it's 3 pages with size 10 font :)
    Also, remember that most states and provinces have cooling off periods, so if you did make a boo boo like me, chances are you have 5 - 10 days to cancel the contract.

Thanks again
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you can do better.  Sounds like you're being nickel and dimed to death. 
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
     Consider dropping to a regular video package without the high def and you may get more included like the cake cutting and video of you getting ready.   I also wouldn't pay someone to take video of the photo sessions after the ceremony.  You'll have pictures of that, no need for video.  He should include some of the dancing but not at an extra cost; same with the cake cutting and garter toss.  I would call and talk to him and see what he has to say about it.
  • Options
    I would send the registered letter but I would also call him just to tell him fast that the letter is in the mail. Don't worry about backlash - they will be like "ok, we'll just open the spot back up".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2010
    So you'd signed already?  yikes.

I wouldn't worry about him trying to do anything on the day.  There's plenty of time for him to book someone else, and by the time it rolls around he'll have probably moved on.  If he's still harboring that kind of ill-feeling in a year then geez.
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  Cancel.

This is almost humorous to me.  If you don't pay extra to have the cake cutting, garter toss, guests dancing, etc, what is he going to video tape for 4 hours?  His shoes? 
  • Options
    That is ridiculous. Cancel, and don't worry about him showing up at your reception. You are still far enough out I doubt he will remember you.

Sounds like a bait and switch to me. We checked out a ton of videographers, and I have never heard of one charging for individual shots like that. I would worry that he would demand more money after the ceremony, and hold the footage hostage until you paid up.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Have you called his references? Thats the biggest thing. If he hasn't provided refrences, I would ask for some... If he's hasty about it, I would find someone else.

I'm not really knowledgeable in how much it costs--but around here its around $600-800... being that your in NY, it will probably cost a bit more.

[ETA] Did you already sign the contract or do you just have it to look it over? If you haven't signed it, then you aren't obligated to use him. If you have, you might still be obligated to paying him something (depending on what the contract says). I doubt he'd do anything shady at your wedding (as in showing up and ruining it, etc) as his businesses reputation is at stake... Any sane business owner would just move on.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-getting-ripped-off-this-standard-business?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:131e2501-03fc-4f79-899e-cf26209965c8Post:e9cc48ec-56b6-4119-a047-794b5903cf07">Re: Am I getting ripped off, or is this standard in the business?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you called his references? Thats the biggest thing. If he hasn't provided refrences, I would ask for some... If he's hasty about it, I would find someone else. I'm not really knowledgeable in how much it costs--but around here its around $600-800... being that your in NY, it will probably cost a bit more. [ETA] D<strong>id you already sign the contract or do you just have it to look it over? </strong>If you haven't signed it, then you aren't obligated to use him. If you have, you might still be obligated to paying him something (depending on what the contract says). I doubt he'd do anything shady at your wedding (as in showing up and ruining it, etc) as his businesses reputation is at stake... Any sane business owner would just move on.
    Posted by eav2c[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes, I was stupid and signed. He explained everything to us, and we signed at his house. Then we got home and actually read the fine print, which is where we found all of these extras.</div><div>
    </div><div>In my province though, we are allowed 10 days "cooling off" period to cancel an already signed contract if we change our minds.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-getting-ripped-off-this-standard-business?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:131e2501-03fc-4f79-899e-cf26209965c8Post:4f4146db-d001-4f91-b811-13836aec259e">Re: Am I getting ripped off, or is this standard in the business?</a>:
    [QUOTE]what are kissing games?????????? i think all videographers are a rip off so i can't help lol
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

<div>HAHA true. </div><div>
    </div><div>I actually had to google it - kissing games are where the DJ will say clang your glass and the couple will kiss, or come up here and karaoke to see the couple kiss... Not my style</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I have no idea. That seems so cheap to me...
  • Options
    While the actual "price" is very much reasonable, all of the extra money for filming different aspects. is what bothers me. I can see the additional fee for another location, as this is standard, but the other additions are alarming.

I would cancel him for sure, and make someone look over the contract and make sure you are within your "cooling off" rights to cancel, and that he cannot come after you for 50% of the total fee.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    AlbireoAlbireo member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I find that most of them up here charge a huge price for a package deal that includes all of that stuff. I would rather they let me order 'a la carte', as it were, because I don't need them to come to the house beforehand or anything. Ceremony, official photos, reception or at least a bit of it.

That said, what does it mean that he owns ALL the rights to the video? It likely means that you can do anything you want with it, and he can also use it for his own promotional material. Check with him on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards