Snarky Brides
Options

need some WR advice

Hi ladies. I am hoping to get some ideas from you guys because the ones from FI and Mom are conflicting.

Our reception will be a "stations" style dinner. We will have things like a mashed potato/risotto & mixins station, something like a carving station where people can get little sandwiches, and other such stuff. We'll be using the smaller hors d'oerves plates in lieu of dinner plates, and will have a mixture of high top seating and a few booths (it's at a restaurant). Do guests need to be notified that this is not a typical buffet or plated meal? It's not quite a cocktail setting, because there's lots of food, but it's a little off-kilter.

Any words of wisdom?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: need some WR advice

• Options
    If there is enough food for it to be considered dinner, I'd say "no", you don't need to elaborate in advance.

However, I'd re-think the small plates unless there's a really good reason.  I assume folks will walk from station to station filling their plates, then sit (or stand at a high-top) and eat?  Small plates = annoying.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    The word you're looking for is SEX. I promise. No, it's not gender. It's sex. You're welcome.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't think it needs to be explained to your guests.  We did our food buffet style - and we just had our guests check chicken or beef when they returned their RSVP, so we knew how much of each should be served.  Stations sounds somewhat like buffet - if I am not mistaken.  As long as people are directed to where to go and when to go, I think it should be fine.  Trying to explain it on an invitation might end up being convoluted and confusing.  That's just what I think though.
    panther
  • Options
    I agree with mypalbabs on both counts. 
  • Options
    I agree with mypal as well.  Don't need to notify as long as there is enough food to constitute a meal (there IS enough food to constitute a meal, right?) and I think you should have normal plates.  Otherwise people will be up and down and up and down.  That would irritate me reaaaaallllyyyy fast. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Ditto Babs (can I call you babs?).  Just make sure you have enough seats for everyone.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Yes, potentially something to think about are bigger plates, but it gets away from the overall feeling of the party I want. But it's better to appeal to my guests than to appease my own sense of style. I attend a fashion show/breast cancer benefit/wine tasting yearly, and that's where I got the idea. I love it and it feels more social or something. Butttt I get what you're saying. 

ETA I hate how many times I said "but" in this. Sorry.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_need-wr-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:185126ac-1817-4df4-932c-70564a1de9acPost:a50aa4a4-7ea1-4305-aee9-c4bc25561e14">Re: need some WR advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, potentially something to think about are bigger plates, but it gets away from the overall feeling of the party I want. But it's better to appeal to my guests than to appease my own sense of style. I attend a fashion show/breast cancer benefit/wine tasting yearly, and that's where I got the idea. I love it and it feels more social or something. Butttt I get what you're saying.  ETA I hate how many times I said "but" in this. Sorry.
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]

Honestly, as a guest, the only thing I would notice about bigger plates vs smaller plates is what a pain in the ass it was.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_need-wr-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:185126ac-1817-4df4-932c-70564a1de9acPost:45acdc96-d716-4fab-9b1f-d1a418093f4a">Re: need some WR advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: need some WR advice : Honestly, as a guest, the only thing I would notice about bigger plates vs smaller plates is what a pain in the ass it was.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ack, I totally don't want to be a pain in the ass. I honestly think that I am completely turned off by typical wedding stuff because I was deluded enough to work in the most popular wedding banquet facility in my area for 5 years. Monotony wears on me. But I'm also irritated by difference just for the sake of difference. So, okay, I will revisit this with my reception site.</div>

• Options
    I like bigger plates because I like putting a ton of food on them at once.  Having to go back is no fun. 
    panther
  • Options
    Agreed with PPs.  Larger plates and fewer trips to the food stations required = good idea.  You could always put both larger and smaller plates out for options and let people decide about how much they want to eat/what plate they want to carry around.

As long as the food you provide is equivalent to a full meal, is served at a meal time, and people don't need to eat something before or plan to eat something after, no extra notice about the reception style is required.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_need-wr-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:185126ac-1817-4df4-932c-70564a1de9acPost:1dbad921-c821-4120-be74-e4f19915acdf">Re: need some WR advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed with PPs.  Larger plates and fewer trips to the food stations required = good idea.  <strong>You could always put both larger and smaller plates out for options and let people decide about how much they want to eat/what plate they want to carry around</strong>. As long as the food you provide is equivalent to a full meal, is served at a meal time, and people don't need to eat something before or plan to eat something after, no extra notice about the reception style is required.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, if that's an option for you, M&K.

• Options
    I'll be off the wall and say, what about both size plates??? Then you can have the big plates for the people that want to sit and enjoy the food  and small plates for people who want to walk and mingle.  :-)
  • Options
    We did stations. We were introduced at around 2:30, there were assigned tables (not assigned seats). We had a carving station with veggies, a salad station and a pasta station. I would definitely go with bigger plates - people will eat a lot. Tables were called up one or two at a time. And no, we didn't make any announcements in advance.

HTH!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards