Snarky Brides

Could you graduate 10th grade?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/when-an-adult-took-standardized-tests-forced-on-kids/2011/12/05/gIQApTDuUO_blog.html?tid=sm_btn_twitter

CN: A school board member took (and failed) the 10th grade standardized test.

The article is interesting, but there are two links to sample math and reading questions.  Can you answer them all??

Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?

• Without looking at it im going to go out on a limb and just assume that I couldnt.
  • I'm not surprised. I always said that those crazies in Albany (capital of my state) needed to practice what they preach. I hope more educational professionals take this as a lesson to work harder on themselves before assuming they know best.
  • I got all but one right on the reading, but it didn't show me a score, unless I just didn't see it.

The math I didn't even do, I am HORRIBLE at math.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:3ef9514a-6f22-4d65-8334-74f3d4bac52b">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find the links to the tests.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

It's in the first paragraph.

<strong> <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/conversations/could-you-pass-a-tenth-grade-reading-test/2011/12/09/gIQALYfSiO_page.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Reading Quiz</a> | <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/conversations/could-you-pass-a-tenth-grade-math-test/2011/12/12/gIQAhglKqO_page.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Math Quiz</a>.</strong>
  • I missed 1 on the math, and got all of the reading ones correct.

BUT I've always been a little of a freak when it comes to standardized tests.  I think I'm better at analyzing the questions than actually knowing the material.
  • I'm constantly feeling dumb at work when I listen to the kids projects/homework assignments. Then they tell me they don't know how on earth I can juggle bills/groceries/kid/pets/whatever. I feel like we trade book smarts/ffacts for life knowledge somewhere after high school.
  • I got 7 out of 7 on the reading, and 4 out or 7 on the math, nto as bad as I expected.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:a107a08c-428d-4312-b173-20884509a112">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I missed 1 on the math, and got all of the reading ones correct. BUT I've always been a little of a freak when it comes to standardized tests.  <strong>I think I'm better at analyzing the questions than actually knowing the material.
    </strong>Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this same thing screwed me over with colleges. I had ridiculously high SAT scores but only an average gpa even though I worked really hard...but I think to admissions offices, it just looked like I was lazy in class. Standarized tests suck for everyone, not just the smart kids who suck at multiple choice.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Edie- try the individual quiz links and then waiting a minute or two for it to load, that's what I had to do.

I passed! My grammar sucks, but I could pass a tenth grade test, dammit. Math took me way too long, but I still passed. If I can do it, I know you guys could do it.
    Photobucket
  • ha, Krizzo. I'm the opposite.  My ACT score (34) is probably the reason I got into college.  My GPA was a little ridiculous (3.8.... on a weighted 5.0). But I *was* lazy in class. ;)
  • 5/7 on reading
    4/7 on math.. and I stink at tests..
  • I got all the reading questions right. I didn't think they were that hard actually. But I only got like 4 of the math right lol. I was annoyed at one of them though.

In music a certain “A note” has a frequency of 440 hertz (vibrations per second). This is called the first harmonic. The second harmonic of that “A note” is 880 hertz, and the third harmonic is 1,320 hertz. According to this pattern, what is the frequency of the fifth harmonic?

I figured it was just adding 440 each time, since 440+440 is 880, and 880+440 is 1320. But no, you were supposed to add 1320+880. Now how are you supposed to get that pattern from just those examples, unless I am really dense and missing it somehow?
  • reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    K Byte- you are right, just missing a step, as they asked the fifth harmonic, not the fourth. They ended their pattern at the third, so you have to "skip" fourth and add one more for the fifth. (I think)

(ETA: high five to Koda for our mad math skillz)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:bb9b4efe-0ca6-427a-8d1e-3eb117c5395d">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got all the reading questions right. I didn't think they were that hard actually. But I only got like 4 of the math right lol. I was annoyed at one of them though. In music a certain “A note” has a frequency of 440 hertz (vibrations per second). This is called the first harmonic. The second harmonic of that “A note” is 880 hertz, and the third harmonic is 1,320 hertz. According to this pattern, what is the frequency of the fifth harmonic? I figured it was just adding 440 each time, since 440+440 is 880, and 880+440 is 1320. But no, you were supposed to add 1320+880. Now how are you supposed to get that pattern from just those examples, unless I am really dense and missing it somehow?
    Posted by K Byte[/QUOTE]
    I got that one wrong too
  • Oh duh! I guess it tests how closely you read and pay attention too lol.
  • ha, KByte, that's the one I got wrong too. Reading comprehension fail. ;)
  • In all honesty, I didn't think either test was that hard and I'm sure I would have done better on the math if I were still in 10th grade and knew what the fuuck a Pythagorean theorem was or whatever. Like I've heard that term before but I haven't taken a math class since 11th grade, other than Statistics which is really different from the normal algebra - geometry - trig - calc sequence that the kids who were good at math took in high school.
  • 100% on reading comprehension, 5 right on the math portion (one I just didn't understand and the other I read the question wrong but had the pattern correct if only I'd read FIFTH in the sequence instead of assuming they meant the next one in the sequence...)

I do agree that standardized tests are BS though, they have no real bearing on how intelligent a person is or isn't and I don't think it should effect someones ability to attend a university.
  • Well I got 7/7 on the reading one, I'm not even going to bother with the math one. Tell me when in the real world I need to know how many laps Susie has to run before she makes as much money as Joeschmoe. They need practical application questions, like if your mortgage and bills take up 70% of your paycheck and you have an unexpected $200 expense this month, how much do you have left for beer?
  • 100% on the Reading and 86% on the Math, which is ironic because I'm a math junkie. I only missed the last question because I thought it asked for the fourth one, not the fifth. Reading fail.
  • I agree Kbyte, It had been a while since I took a math quiz that started with "Johnny and Louise had..." and I groaned when I saw it. I hated the story problems and showing my work, etc. I hated everything in math.
    Photobucket
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:bb9b4efe-0ca6-427a-8d1e-3eb117c5395d">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got all the reading questions right. I didn't think they were that hard actually. But I only got like 4 of the math right lol. I was annoyed at one of them though. In music a certain “A note” has a frequency of 440 hertz (vibrations per second). This is called the first harmonic. The second harmonic of that “A note” is 880 hertz, and the third harmonic is 1,320 hertz. According to this pattern, what is the frequency of the fifth harmonic? I figured it was just adding 440 each time, since 440+440 is 880, and 880+440 is 1320. But no, you were supposed to add 1320+880. Now how are you supposed to get that pattern from just those examples, unless I am really dense and missing it somehow?
    Posted by K Byte[/QUOTE]
    It is just adding 440 each time.  It asked for the 5th, not the 4th so you have to add two 440s to the last example to get the answer.
  • That was pretty interesting.  I'm a little concerned that the school board member only got 10 out of the 60 math questions correct.  Statisically you should be able to guess more correct answers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:3ef9514a-6f22-4d65-8334-74f3d4bac52b">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find the links to the tests.
    I'm sorry but this made me laugh (literally, out loud) long enough for FI to look at me and ask what I ate to make me weird today.<div>
    </div><div>Anyway, I know I couldn't pass that stupid test.  I hated math class and dreaded every waking (or sleeping) hour of it. </div>
  • I'd fail the math portion without a doubt.
  • Edie, when I first clicked on those links they loaded blank sections where the test was. I thought it was a glitch but it turns out it just takes a while to load.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:55bbe398-025a-4775-9ca7-e79c223e0f96">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got all the reading questions right. I got 6 out of 7 right on the math.  I would have gotten all of them, <strong>but I don't have my big calculator anymore.  And I was never good at square roots without a calculator.</strong>
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

It wasn't testing an actual square root, just the process of factoring it out.

sqrt(50) = sqrt(25) * sqrt(2) = 5 * sqrt(2)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:a83d20d2-ef62-4224-874f-079c007120a4">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I got 7/7 on the reading one, I'm not even going to bother with the math one. Tell me when in the real world I need to know how many laps Susie has to run before she makes as much money as Joeschmoe. They need practical application questions, like if your mortgage and bills take up 70% of your paycheck and you have an unexpected $200 expense this month, <strong>how much do you have left for beer?</strong>
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Not nearly enough. That is always the correct answer.

The thing is, the types of math problems presented aren't "applicable"--but it's the same math. People that can see these as math problems, independent of context, are people that will be able to approach applicable problems in an appropriate way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:5ffbc6de-6f27-4f0b-a59b-f98fdbd068bd">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Midge, I'll try again. arwo! Hello!

Hiya Edie! What's the what?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards