Snarky Brides

Can we talk about spirits?

Re: Can we talk about spirits?

• Do you believe in spirits? Why or why not? Yes, without a doubt. I have had too many spooky experiences

Good ones? Bad ones? Demons, angels? I do believe in good and bad people, and I think their spirits stay who they were in life. I do not believe in Angels or Demons, but I do believe that what people think are "demons" are really just very evil spirits who become even more evil in the afterlife, and that "Angels" are the good people trying to counteract the bad ones

Do you think there are ways to communicate with these spirits? OH YEAH.

Your take on ouiija (sp?) boards? - Done it, never had anything happen.

Are you/Do you know someone that can see them?Yup

Any personal experiences besides sightings? I was burned in my sleep ny a cigarette, in my house, then found a butt that could only have belonged to my late FIL. He bought his smokes in Korea, and that brand isn't available in the US. Plus, it was in my bedroom, which nobody goes in but H and I. I have seen evidence of them but never actually seen one (that I know of)

And now I have to go back to work so I can't stay around to play anymore. I do so live talkig about ghosts.

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:81cf15d3-a4c3-4576-8c2f-936d464aa2d6">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about spirits? : That does suck. When I was 16, I was at a bowl-a-thon. 12 hours, all night. At about 11 PM, I walked over to one of the girls there, who I had bowled with in a league for about 7 years. I told her out of nowhere that she shouldn't drive home the next day, that she should have someone come and get her, because I didn't feel like she would be safe. She lived about 10 miles out of town, and she planned to drive to her friend's house in the morning, sleep for a few hourse, study, then the next evening, drive back to her house. She laughed at me, rightfully so, and off we went to continue the bowl-a-thon. She never made it home. She fell asleep at the wheel/had a kidney issue (noone ever knew for sure) the next evening, rolled her truck, and died.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

DUDE. wow.
  • Shiit Nicole and Jesse.  Yikes indeed :(
    panther
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:7f0b3da9-afcb-425f-904b-ddb862dcea1a">Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've gotten really curious about this subject over the past little while, and noticed it's a bit awkward to discuss with people IRL. <div><strong>-Do you believe in spirits? Why or why not?</strong></div><div>Yes I believe in spirits. I have had some personal experiences and people I know have had personal experiences. Although even if I didn't know anyone who had I would still believe because there are too many accounts from random people for me to not believe</div><div>
    </div><div><strong> -Good ones? Bad ones? Demons, angels? </strong></div><div>I think that there are spirits that have good or bad intentions. Not sure if I think that they are Angels or demons necessarily. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>-Do you think there are ways to communicate with these spirits?</strong> </div><div>I don't know, maybe? I think there are people who are more open and able to see spirits and have 6th sense type of experiences. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Your take on ouiija (sp?) boards?</strong> </div><div>When I was younger a friend and I were playing with an Ouijia board. The little pointer thing told us that we were talking to the devil. I haven't touched an Ouijia board since. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>- Are you/Do you know someone that can see them?</strong> </div><div>I know people who have seen ghosts on more than one occasion. I have seen something that might have been a ghost, but I am not 100% sure.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Any personal experiences besides sightings?</strong></div><div>I have had more 6th sense type of experiences than ghosts. I know that's not really the same thing. But I think they are connected in some way. 
    Posted by KarleeKrause35[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    mrs.jesse- The same kind of thing happened when my grandma passed away. I went to see her (she had had knee surgery, but she was at home recovering), and when I gave her a hug, she held me longer than usual and wouldn't let me go. She told me she loved me and watched me leave. As soon as the door shut, I knew I wouldn't see her alive again. It was just a gut wrenching feeling, but I also had a sense of peace. Like she was ready.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Jesse, I do think that some people just 'know' their time is coming soon. And they probably don't realize it, but after the fact when you look back you're like "Woah, it's almost as if he knew his time was almost up." That happened with my friend's dad, there were a lot of things he'd been putting off that he took care of (paperwork, tax stuff for their business) in the few weeks before his death.
  • I personally don't believe in ghosts, in the sense that most people do. I think there is paranormal activity, but I also don't think it's the work of once living people.
  • AATB, I fully enjoyed reading that. That sounds intense, and I would guess that you are extremely susceptible to paranormal activity given your family history. I think that there needs to be an open mind for any of it to take place, though. KWIM? like, you've got the people who truly to not believe, and then the ones who just say they don't out of fear (me.) I think that a spirit would be able to connect with me if it wanted to, and I would feel it. And be afraid of it.
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    I agree that some people know it is their time, even if they and the people around them don't realize it at the time. 

I often wake up in the middle of the night, usually between 2:00 and 4:00, I have always felt that something is waking me up. I don't feel afraid or feel a presence or anything, just that something is waking me up. I am not sure if this is related to anything paranormal but I have felt that there is more to me waking up like that or that I am missing something about why I keep doing it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:ace7c6b2-8da7-4f75-b471-0da02e8d11e9">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally don't believe in ghosts, in the sense that most people do. <strong>I think there is paranormal activity</strong>, <strong>but I also don't think it's the work of once living people.
    </strong>Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Can you explain more on this? I am just interested in what you believe there are. Like are they all demons sent from Satan?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:bbeb7424-5e3e-4ce3-b2b6-b982741f540b">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about spirits? : Can you explain more on this? I am just interested in what you believe there are. Like are they all demons sent from Satan?
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Demons or angels depending on the intent.  Based on what I believe, the concept of ghosts (spirits of those who have died) goes against God's teachings, so sometimes the devil does it out of desire to pull people away from God (even if it's not a horrifying experience).  If that makes sense?
  • I think my grandpa knew it was his time, too.  The last time I saw him was at a small family reunion.  My grandpa held on for a very long time, he was so sick and didn't take a nose dive - he took years to die.  I think he waited until all the family was together one last time, with him.  Two weeks later he died.  He even waited for my grandma to leave - he was at a nursing home, and my grandma spent most of her time sitting by his bedside.  He hadn't spoken in months.  She left to run a quick errand and when she came back, he was gone.
    panther
  • Mrs.Jesse, I responded before I read your comment. Do your dreams alarm you? I can't imagine that premonition and I bet that must have been difficult for you to accept/move on from? I don't want to sound too blunt here, so forgive me, but are you ever afraid that one of your dreams will predict your own death? Chels, the demons, do you think that they can do more than that? Do you think that they can physically harm people?
  • edited March 2012
    I think it is really interesting to hear the stories where sick people don't end up dying until they receive "permission" or an ok to do so from their families. Kind of makes me think of how weird it is that people can have more of a say in when they pass than we probably realize.
  • Okay guys, here's my nub: I'm afraid of demons. I'm afraid of believing in them, and I'm afraid of saying that I do not. Someone once told me just to "say a little prayer" whenever I felt afraid of them or whatever. But I struggle with the idea of God just as much as I struggle with idea of hell. And then I think, well, if I'm not devoted to God, why would the power of prayer work for me? How could I ever counterract this with something I didn't 100% believe in? Or only believed in that moment?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:17f68327-3955-4dfb-b3b5-40c32052ea1f">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mrs.Jesse, I responded before I read your comment. Do your dreams alarm you? I can't imagine that premonition and I bet that must have been difficult for you to accept/move on from? I don't want to sound too blunt here, so forgive me, but are you ever afraid that one of your dreams will predict your own death? Chels, the demons, do you think that they can do more than that? <strong>Do you think that they can physically harm people?</strong>

Oh yes. Just like angels saving people, I believe demons can harm people. But like PPs have said, I have no desire to open that medium.  I was told by the priest at FI's family's church that he knew of some people that played bloody mary and had a terrifying experience with it.  They came to him to get that room blessed.  Shiit like this scares me.  I did try a ouija board when I was like 10 just for shiits and giggles and nothing came of it.  But I'll never do it again.  Demons/Devil are not welcome in my life so no sense in inviting/taunting them IMO.
  • Karlee, I think that is why I am not sure if I believe in Angels or Demons. I'm not even sure if I believe in Heaven or Hell, so how can I believe of something coming from them?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:9045ab4f-3b02-4918-a6e7-4f8a3d4b78ed">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay guys, here's my nub: I'm afraid of demons. I'm afraid of believing in them, and I'm afraid of saying that I do not. Someone once told me just to "say a little prayer" whenever I felt afraid of them or whatever. But I struggle with the idea of God just as much as I struggle with idea of hell. And then I think, well, if I'm not devoted to God, why would the power of prayer work for me? How could I ever counterract this with something I didn't 100% believe in? Or only believed in that moment?

Well if praying to him, even if you are doubtful, gives you any sort of comfort, I say do it.  And I don't think God will say "nope, she doesn't believe, not helping her".  God's #1 goal is to bring people closer to him, so he's not going to shove you towards the devil just because you are questioning your faith.
  • edited March 2012
    My beliefs are pretty much what Chels said. I don't believe mediums conmunicate with human spirits, I believe they are demon spirits acting in disguise.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:9045ab4f-3b02-4918-a6e7-4f8a3d4b78ed">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay guys, here's my nub: I'm afraid of demons. I'm afraid of believing in them, and I'm afraid of saying that I do not. Someone once told me just to "say a little prayer" whenever I felt afraid of them or whatever. But I struggle with the idea of God just as much as I struggle with idea of hell. And then I think, well, if I'm not devoted to God, why would the power of prayer work for me? How could I ever counterract this with something I didn't 100% believe in? Or only believed in that moment?

I've been told that demons can hear your audible prayers but not ones you do silently.  Kinda creepy, huh?
    panther
  • edited March 2012
    Oh my God, what a tough year. You seem extremely level-headed, I really admire that because I tend to let problems consume me. Yours is a quality I wish I shared :) AATB, that's creepy as fuuck. So, then, do they recommend that people pray out loud so that the demons can hear it and it drives them away, or is one supposed to pray silently to keep it between them and God? ETA: spelling
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:7bfad758-1233-4cde-94ea-bb67c7873bbe">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my God, what a tough year. You seem extremely level-headed, I really admire that because I tend to let problems consume me. Yours is a quality I wish I shared :) AATB, that's creepy as fuuck. So, then, <strong>do they recommend that people pray out loud so that the demons can hear it and it drives them away</strong>, or is one supposed to pray silently to keep it between them and God? ETA: spelling

I would imagine it's this.  Whenever I envision angels and demons battling it out, the angels always win.. so I have this image of angels on white harleys with white bandanas riding in whenever someone prays being so badass that it scares the demons away lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-we-talk-about-spirits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:54b70b9b-5345-42a0-935c-2a1ee2ceaaffPost:7bfad758-1233-4cde-94ea-bb67c7873bbe">Re: Can we talk about spirits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my God, what a tough year. You seem extremely level-headed, I really admire that because I tend to let problems consume me. Yours is a quality I wish I shared :) <strong>AATB, that's creepy as fuuck. So, then, do they recommend that people pray out loud so that the demons can hear it and it drives them away, or is one supposed to pray silently to keep it between them and God?</strong> ETA: spelling

Eh, it depends.  I do both.  God always hears my prayers, whether they're silent or audible, so it doesn't matter to me I guess.  I do pray audibly sometimes.  To protect yourself you can maybe pray silently about things you feel make you vulnerable, which is something demons could latch on to.

Ultimately though, I know I have God on my side, so I don't let any of this bother me.  Too much, anyway.  Lol :)
    panther
  • Chels, that's actually really cute lol!
  • I only got about 6 posts into this thread before the heebie jeebies took over.  I am now so creeped out I don't know what to do.
  • I absolutely believe.

My uncles used to worship the devil and did some kind of weird praying to Satan when they were younger.  My grandmother had a priest come over to bless the house, but it absolutely did not get rid of the spirits.  The house just has this feeling about it.

I lived there for 3 months before FI and I moved to DC.  I got really sick and was in bed sleeping.  All of a sudden there was a loud pounding on the door.  I thought it might be my grandmother, so I said "come in."  When no one came in, I got up and opened the door.  No one was there.  I thought I must have been imagining it, so I got back into bed.  The moment I pulled the blanket over me, there was another loud knock on the door and still no one there.

I also know there was something in the house shortly after my grandfather died.  The day of the funeral, my mother and I were cleaning up their house and I leaned down to grandma's cat just outside of my grandfather's room (which happens to be where the devil worshipping happened).  I asked the cat if he missed my grandfather.  He looked over my shoulder, slinked back with very wide eyes and meowed at me.  I raised that cat as a kitten before my grandmother took him, and I had never heard him meow.

My parents also have this little elf statue that they call the "evil elf" because he has a maniacal look on his face.  While the evil elf's home is on top of a shelf in the kitchen, he has on many occasions been found in a completely different place in the house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am a believer and have had quite a few experiences.

When I was younger, my hand was dangling off the edge of my bed, and in the middle of the night a hand grabbed and tried to pull me off the bed. This is why I started sleeping very compactly with no limbs hanging off the edge (It was mostly the room though, there was always a bad feeling when going into my childhood bedroom, it still creeps me out to this day).

One day I was home alone doing laundry in the basement and over the clacking of the dryer I thought I heard something, so I turned the machine off and sure enough I was hearing a little girl singing. I always felt like someone was watching me in the basement, and a couple of times I saw things move on their own. I never got a bad feeling from the girl, but it creeped me out.

There have been other experiences within my family as well, including seeing relatives who have passed away.

My grandfather, shortly before dying, kept talking about a child standing in the corner. He described the child and then called it "Priscilla" which was the name of his daughter who had died in childhood. My family thinks she was there to help him pass on peacefully.

On my grandmothers deathbed she kept repeating a set of numbers. No one could figure out what they meant until she died. She had been repeating the date and time of her death over and over again (down to the minute)

Living on my own I haven't had any real experiences, a lot of the weird stuff that has happened is related to my childhood home and my grandparents home.
  • I believe in all of it, and  have personal experiences as well.

Part of the reason that my group of friends and I are so close is because of our shared experiences with all of this.  There was a period of time when we were getting together and doing bible studies and really studying our faith.  And the demons didn't like that.  It seemed like every night we were together, someone would get attacked.  

It really impacts you when you see one of your best friends start convulsing and talking in tounges and not able to control any thing about their body.  We would sit there and pray, and whatever was attacking them would leave, sometimes.  We had to call our college priest a couple of times to come over and help.  It wasn't at the level of needing at exorcism, but it was still pretty intense.

My best friend has a sixth sense and can feel spirits pretty much everywhere we go.  It's gonna be interesting when she goes to my reception...it's across the street from the Alamo.  She can tell if spirits are in a place just by looking at photos.

My parents live in my grandparents old house and have experienced stuff.  My uncle passed away a few years ago, and they have seen him at the house.  They have also heard stuff as well.

Sorry my response is so late.  I was running errands and typing on my phone sucks.  
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • On the other side of this, I truly believe I've had an experience with a guardian angel.  When I was like, 9 or 10 years old and visiting my grandparents in Cali, my mom and sisters and I were at the beach.  I was swimming in the ocean and got worked by a wave, and when I came up another wave was right on top of me, even bigger than the first one.  I was smashed into the sand and didn't know which was was up and was pretty sure I was going to drown.  Then someone grabbed me by the arm, really forcibly and strong, and yanked me out of the water and before I knew it I was on the sand again.  I said thank you but when I looked up no one was there.

My grandma had a similar experience, at one of my uncle's college football games.  She got separated from my grandpa in a large moving crowd and couldn't get out of it, and panicked.  Somone grabbed her arm and pulled her off to the side, where she could wait for my grandpa.  She never saw who it was.
    panther
  • AATB, what makes you think demons can't hear our thoughts/prayers to ourselves but can hear what we say out loud? I agree, I've always thought that too, but I'm not sure where it came from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards