Snarky Brides
Options

Help me draft a letter?

Hi guys!

I'm kinda stuck with letter writing block right now. At the beginning of the summer, I started tutoring a kid from the local elementary school in math. I am supposed to tutor from 12:00-1:00 Tuesdays and Fridays. All was well until they didn't show up a week ago because the mom said, "she forgot it was Tuesday." I was at the library early like always and waited until about 12:30 for them to show up. No luck. I met with them last Tuesday and she was late, coming in at 12:15 and not picking him up until 1:15 even though I had another appointment to get to right after. I was late for my next appointment because I obviously couldn't leave him at the library alone.

Well, they didn't show up again today and I am quitting. It's a huge waste of my time to plan lessons, wait at the library, and not have anyone show up. I get no phone calls or messages until I leave and try to get in touch with them.

I don't have her cell phone number and no one is picking up at home so I wanted to send her an e-mail letting her know this situation isn't working out for me. I can't plan my days around someone who doesn't show up.

How would you word it? I don't want to be rude or burn bridges because I never know when I'll try to tutor again for a different family they know. I also don't know if I'll ever have her son in class if I ever get a teaching job here.

I just am stuck writing this because it either sounds too sweet or too rude.

Anyone wanna help? Thanks :-)
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Help me draft a letter?

• Options
    hmmm

I would try something like-

Dear X,

While I have greatly enjoyed working with Little Susie/Johnnie, unfortunately I believe our arrangement is no longer working out. I certainly understand that things are bound to come up that interfere with appointments from time to time, but I believe we would all be best served parting ways.

Hike

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    point is- I wouldn't really mention the tardiness or seem accusatory. I would be professional and short about it.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    Maybe don't mention the actual reason at all? Something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, but I feel that I won't be able to tutor your son anymore for some personal reasons. You can call XXX-XXXX to get a list of other tutors available." and leave it at that?
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, would it be worth giving them one more shot?  Maybe write them a letter and say:

Dear ___________,
    I appreciate the opportunity you have given me to tutor Johnnie (or whatever the kid's name is).  I enjoy tutoring him, however there have been two occasions now that he hasn't showed up and I was not told until after the fact.  This is frustrating, as I am a busy person and my free-time is limited. I am happy to continue our weekly appointments of ___ time on Tuesdays and Fridays at the library, but please be advised that I cannot continue to hold this appointment if Johnny cannot commit to it.

Thank you for your time,
    Hike

ETA: I agree it's rude this has happened twice now, but I would still give them another chance, warning them that if it happens again, you're done.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

I just needed a started and now I got the ball rolling. I appreciate it. I just felt tongue tied for a second.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There is no effing way I'd give them another chance.  When people cancel/don't show up for interviews with me, they get two shots (and rarely that many).  It shows a total lack of respect for you and your time.  That shiiit pisses me off a whole lot.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_help-me-draft-a-letter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:67a0212a-9fd3-4983-8e89-49fc94eb4673Post:69233d27-2db1-4b80-8130-d6d29631f6d5">Re: Help me draft a letter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is no effing way I'd give them another chance.  When people cancel/don't show up for interviews with me, they get two shots (and rarely that many).  It shows a total lack of respect for you and your time.  That shiiit pisses me off a whole lot.
    Posted by Smash Adams[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. I'm ffucking pissed. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Technically, the first situation of being late, and then them not showing the following week IMO was the 2nd chance. Todays was the 3rd. Eff them.
  • Options
    A polite letter has been sent. Now we will see how long it takes for her to get back to me, if she even does. Last time, it took her about 24 hours to tell me she forgot it was tuesday
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe you can tutor her on learning the days of the week.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_help-me-draft-a-letter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:67a0212a-9fd3-4983-8e89-49fc94eb4673Post:89e1f362-ebe5-497c-a940-81d36f1fdb64">Re: Help me draft a letter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe you can tutor her on learning the days of the week.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]
    ha and telling time?!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards