Snarky Brides

Tell me I'm ridiculous?

I'm being a crazy person.

I was at an event on Saturday for work - a dog walk event. Very fun. Anyway... there was this little dog there that was up for adoption. She was the most precious thing ever and we immediately bonded. I absolutely fell in love. She was a little 8 month old Doxie mix and would be perfect for us! AND to top it off her name is PIXIE!! Talk about meant to be.

So I went home and talked to fi and did research and we got all excited about getting this dog. We slept on it to make sure it wasn't an impulse thing but I just couldn't stop thinking about her. We decided to go for it. As a courtesy I emailed my landlord to let her know. Our downstairs neighbors have a golden retriever so I thought it would be no problem.

She emailed back and said that we were not allowed to have the dog and that they made an exception for our neighbors but won't for us :-(

I am SO sad. I could not stop crying and I still can't stop thinking about her! I am in a lack of Pixie funk. I'm ridiculous right? I knew her for an hour and really it's totally impractical to have a dog in an apartment. I just thought I'd vent here and you can all tell me I'm crazy and that she'll go to a wonderful home. Ok thanks :-)

(PS - Sorry I'm not around much -we are understaffed and overworked right now - hopefully I'm not overstepping by posting.)

Photobucket

Re: Tell me I'm ridiculous?

• why would they make an exception for your neighbor and not you?

Would you be willing to pay higher rent?
    Photobucket
  • Aww that sucks. I don't think it's ridiculous though. Everytime I go into a pet store for 5 minutes I want to bring home every dog and cat, and after I leave I feel kind of sad for them for a while after.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • It may depend on where you are, but once a landlord "makes an exception" or even knowingly ignores the unlawful pet, that clause in the contract becomes void.  At least in MD.  I forget what the legal term is.

But, you may have a leg to stand on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Could you offer to give an additional "pet deposit"? It's not cool that they let their neighbor have a dog and won't let you, but I also wouldn't want landlord to be like. "Fine. neighbor get rid of your dog then!"

You're not ridiculous either. :)
  • Ya I'm pretty sure that once they make an exception for one person, as long as it isn't something like a pet being prescribed to a person or a guide dog, that they have to make that exception for the rest of the tenants.  They can charge you more but I think that's about it.  At least here anyway.
    Sorry about the dog though :(
  • Yeah I'd see about giving a pet deposit. We did that for my cat, a 1-time deposit in case he destroys anything.

It's not ridiculous. You got excited and attached, I'd be the same way.
  • Aww thanks guys - I feel less crazy :-)

I know I thought it was weird (and shady) - I guess it's something where my landlord's bought the building (it's a big house) when the neighbors were already living in it with a dog so their dog was grandfathered in. I am going to go over my lease closelyl because I honestly don't remember there being anything about pets in there - I mean I have to fight for Pixie as much as I can. I would totally be willing to pay an additional pet fee.

Thanks for the advice!!
    Photobucket
  • I think it would still need to be in the lease where it says "no pets unless grandfathered in" for him to get around the "one exception voids the clause" thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hope it works out for you! Pixie hopes so too. :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-im-ridiculous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eb4b165-7a66-41c0-bdd8-1fc53d901bf3Post:7a95e1a7-9562-4924-97ff-c9c68aeae5d3">Re: Tell me I'm ridiculous?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would still need to be in the lease where it says "no pets unless grandfathered in" for him to get around the "one exception voids the clause" thing.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely looking into this. Thank you for the info! I'm still at the office (I'm pathetic) but I'm finding my lease when I get home and going over the specifics. I'm all fired up now! haha
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-im-ridiculous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eb4b165-7a66-41c0-bdd8-1fc53d901bf3Post:52e09e1d-d82a-44ee-8f0b-79ec55f26274">Re: Tell me I'm ridiculous?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope it works out for you! Pixie hopes so too. :D
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Thank you!! I'll keep you guys posted. :-)
    Photobucket
  • Good luck!  The only other thing... I've lived in apartment complexes where dogs are only allowed on the first floor?  Maybe talk to the neighbors (if you're friendly) to make sure they don't mind.  You can use that when you talk to the landlord, too.
  • You're not being ridiculous.  I get attached enough just seeing them when we walk past adoption events in our town.  I really hope it works out for you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-im-ridiculous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eb4b165-7a66-41c0-bdd8-1fc53d901bf3Post:3ebf7b8b-b6ee-4c2a-852c-644e2b95b9fc">Re: Tell me I'm ridiculous?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, you are not ridiculous.  Animals have a way of worming their way into your heart in no time!  We fostered a beagle for a week last summer.  I fell in love with him the second I got home and saw him.  Giving him to his forever home was heartbreaking. First, and last, fostering we did.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Aww I'm so sorry!! I don't think I could foster - that's so hard. That's where Pixie is now - with a foster home. So at least she's not in a little cage. That makes me feel better.

Also Steph - good idea. I'll chat with my neighbors. They're perfectly friendly!
    Photobucket
  • Pixie, good luck with your quest!

Just so you know, this is what my Doxie mix looked like at 10 months:

He now weighs 64 pounds :)
    That's what happens when you put 25% doxie with 12.5% lab and 66% unknown (which I think is Catahoula).
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I was in love with Demon the second I laid eyes on her. I was also in love with about 30% of the cats in my adoption center though, which could have gotten very bad lol.

Definitely look in the lease, but don't bring it up in a  "Well I looked at my lease and you suck and now you have to let me have a dog." Just mention that you looked over your lease agreement and there was no pet rule listed, and would they allow you to have a pet if you provided a deposit for potential damage. Also make sure to mention it's a small dog.
  • Missy that's so funny! He's awfully cute!!

Katie that's a great way to say it. Although secretly I would like to tell them they suck :-)

This is Pixie - she seems like she'll stay little!

Photobucket
  • Yep, no big paws there. We kinda knew he was going to be a little bigger than we expected, but we didn't even know he had dox in him - the ARL told us terrier mix.

This is what we brought home (3 months - 13 lbs):

Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Awww she is adorable!

We got screwed with one of our apts because a manager made "an exception". The management policy was dogs 35 pounds and under, but when we signed we were told it was no problem to have a bigger dog since she was a senior. We scoped the place out and there were about 20-30 bigger dogs so we figured we would be fine. 60 days later we got a notice that we had 30 days to remove the dog from the property or we would be evicted. Apparently someone complained about the amount of dogs, pulled out their lease stating the weight restriction, and that forced everyone with dogs to move. It sucked.
  • Look at your lease paperwork, and see if they mention anything about pets.  If they don't, you can further question your neighbor, to see what excuse they used to get their pet into the apartment.

Hope it works out for you!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • OMG Katie that sucks! That is so unfair. This is why things should be clear! Ugh I'm sorry that happened.

And Missy - he is so freaking cute.

I'm heading home from the office now so I'll be back in a little bit!!
    Photobucket
  • Yeah, it's one of those "we should have known better moments". We were able to find a new place quickly though and once we brought up that we knew a really good DC lawyer they gave us our security deposit back.
  • awww I'm sorry girl, I hope you can find a way to get your pup! I feel in love with my dog at a shelter and had I not been able to get him, I would have been heartbroken!
  • that sucks pixie

sorry i am late on this but no - i totally get your bond even for an hour...i foster and i can tell - can't explain it but i just call it the "it" factor (paired with my gut too)

i was like that seeing Laila's picture on the dog shelter's website...i was OBSESSED the min i saw it - checked the website several times then she went to foster care and i just about lost it - left three messages for the volunteer coordinator to set up a visit - then seeing her was the icing on the cake.  even a shelter photo got me - and well i got her she's my baby now!

not sure what to tell you about the landlord unless they were grandfathered in for some reason....hence the exception?
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards