Snarky Brides

Droid vs iPhone?

2»

Re: Droid vs iPhone?

• Maybe the GPS charge is a Verizon thing? We got the Iphone the day that they were released for Verizon and I remember that charge being one of the big reasons that we got rid of iphones. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:774fcbb9-f7fc-47b1-8fe4-916ab84a625e">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Droid vs iPhone? : What GPS charges $10/month? I use the Maps button on my phone for GPS so I'm confused.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>I was wondering this as well.  And if by GPS you mean the locator that's free.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I hate my droid phone. It doesn't have any apps that I want. and it's really not user friendly. I just bougth a iphone 3gs online at att.com and it was only 99 cents. so I figure I'm not loosing to much to get it. 
  • Well damn now the decision is even harder. We'll have to figure out the GPS thing because H will definitely use that, but it's good to know that you can do the synching thing for the Droid as well. I have a feeling it might come down to what's available at the AT&T store.

Dmiller, I hate Apple too. I refuse to use a Mac. So if I have to get an iPhone, it will be grudgingly so.
  • chirpchirpchirpchirp member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    LP, you have to remember with Droid phones that the new software is for a shitton of different versions- phones and carriers.  Of course Apple would be more efficient in rolling out updates because they only have one product. Also, updates are automatic.  My phone notifies me that there is an update, I press okay and she's done.  

And as far as the manufacturers withholding updates to get people to buy new phones?  What exactly did Apple do when they rolled out two phones in the same year?  And now 5 is rumored?  How are Apple users supposed to keep up with their friends if they don't go out and buy the new phone at $600?

But I digress.  I hate Apple too and think they are a brilliant company in terms of doing business because they sure as shiit know how to turn a profit but they are unnecessarily expensive for the quality.
  • My droid has flash.
    I love the built in google maps.
    I just used my droid razr maxx for 48 hours and still didn't kill it- close but not quite.
    I also like that my phone gets OS updates automatically and remotely. 
    I also have face time on my droid.

Honestly I think that to iphone or not is the fundamental difference between mac people and pc people.

• Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'm going to show this to H and we'll do our research from here. I can upgrade after March 12th and an event the 24th-25th, so I have until then to figure it all out.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    This might have already been said but I skimmed.

My phone automatically backs itself up to Google every night.  And my calendar on my phone syncs to my Google calendar which I also have set up to sync to H's Google calendar (and his phone) which he has set to sync to his work calendar.  Basically, all that to say that if I put something on my phone calendar, it shows up everywhere both of us look.  Same for him. 

Google maps has turn by turn directions and it's free on Droid. 

And, knowing what your H does for a living.  I'd be scared to hand him an iPhone.

Look into Otterbox cases, no matter which phone you choose. 
  • Apple emailed me telling me that an employee stealing my debit card number and charging up hundreds of dollars wasn't really worth their time to investigate and that I should just be happy with them giving me back the exact amount that was stolen. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow Dmills.  And did they follow that up with "Be sure to buy the new iPhone!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:90bc9073-620d-442b-88fa-5a9ec0f0d2f6">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apple emailed me telling me that an employee stealing my debit card number and charging up hundreds of dollars wasn't really worth their time to investigate and that I should just be happy with them giving me back the exact amount that was stolen. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

<div>Whoa, what?? Did you report that to the BBB or file a complaint somehow? Because that's definitely not acceptable. </div>
  • I own the LG Revolution. I really like it- it is big, and the battery life, like most droids, is pretty bad. I could buy the extended life battery if it was that big of a deal, and to be honest it hasn't bothered me to the point I needed to purchase it.

I think it gets tricky with Androids- the are thought of to be better than iPhones, but because each one is so different, it is hard to say which is the best, or how much of an improvement there is from one version to the next. Whereas with Apple, you know each successive iPhone will be better than the previous one.

• They were the biggest a-holes ever about the entire thing. When I finally got to talk to someone they basically told me that would bury me in legal fees if I tried to pursue it. I hate thieves, I honestly would have preferred the asshole that took my card get arrested over getting my money back. They have some super shady business going on through the iTunes stores. So I filed complaints about them with as many places as I could think of and don't spend any more of my money with them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:0af7a6bf-cfbe-4353-b8d5-6e3154dcfa76">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And, knowing what your H does for a living.  I'd be scared to hand him an iPhone. Look into Otterbox cases, no matter which phone you choose. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. Although, he usually leaves his phone in the truck.
  • Re: the iPhone GPS. You get directions, but it's not 'real' GPS turn-by-turn like the one that's included on Verizon's navigator.  At least that's how it was last fall. If you want it to work like a real GPS where it shows you where you are and gives you voice commands of when to turn, that's when you have to pay extra.

I hate iPhones, with a passion. I had a Droid for two years, then switched to the iPhone when it came out at Verizon. I used it for about three months until I got so sick of it, I sold it to my sister and switched back to an Android phone again. The girls at Verizon said it was super common for people who pervious had Androids to hate iPhones.  I think it's all the customizing you can do and stuff. Plus, admittedly, all of my work and personal emails/calendars/docs are Google, so it runs far better with Android.

That being said, I think it depends what you're looking for.  If you've never had a smartphone before, you'll probably like the iPhone.  But if you've had an Android before, or want to do a lot of customizing stuff, I think you'll notice the shortcomings with Apple. (This being said by someone who has a MacBook and loves it.)
  • iPhone, for sure. Many, many apps are free, they are fairly easy to learn to use and the square app works flawlessly. Plus, Apple stores give free workshops on how to use and get the most out of your phone. I've had one for years now and I love it...FH and I have shared calendars and contacts and it is super convenient. My 75 year old grandmother just got one for Christmas and loves it. We video chat with her frequently (she lives in IL, we are in AZ), and I play her in scrabble all the time. The extended warranty that is available with an iPhone is called AppleCare+ and is $99. It covers your phone for any manufacturer defects for 2 years as you get 2 incidents of physical or accidental damage (i.e. water or shattering) that allow you a $49 replacement. If you ever have questions or issues, you can simply walk into an Apple store and someone can help you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards