Snarky Brides

What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)

Background:
Ok, so.... my FI is the only guy and the youngest in his family by quite a few years. So, my FSILs feel like I'm this kid that's marrying their baby or something like that. I think one of them (FSIL2) is seriously in love with him, it's totally weird, she gets jealous all the time and is constantly competing with me for my FI's attention, she's psycho. There are 3 FSILs.

Here's the thing:

Yesterday we were at my FMIL's house and they started asking me questions about the wedding... simple things like color schemes and stuff like that. But, they keep trying to impose their ideas and want me to do everything just like they did it for their weddings.

For example, I said it doesn't matter to me if the FGs don't wear exactly the same shoes, as long as they match each other and what they're wearing. They insisted I HAVE to have them wear the same shoes (FSIL1 is mom to a FG), I told FSIL2 who was insisting the most that if she wanted it so much she could get them the shoes (she didn't get the obvious hint).

Then, FSIL2 got a call from a friend of her who lives in Argentina and when she came back she's like "Oh, guess who's thinking of coming.......... in december!", I turn away cuz she's obviously asking me to invite her friend to my wedding. I flat out say "I don't have any more room for extra guests, I've even decided not to invite some of my friends cuz my guest list is too long". FMIL says "Oh, but some of our guests aren't coming, she can have one of their places". I say "I'm not even counting THOSE people and I still have about 25 extra people on the guest list". FMIL says "Oh, well.. then that's a problem then". WHYYYYY would I invite her friend who lives in Argentina, who I've only met twice, and who jumped on my little brother who's 15 years younger than her cuz she was too horny to reel it in???????

Then, they ask me about the RB's & BP clothes.... I tell them what they're like, tell them who they're gonna be and tell them I've already bought the fabric. Then they tell me that even though FSIL1's baby isn't in the BP (cuz he can't walk yet) I should dress him the same as them. I repeat that I've already bought the fabric, and tell them that if I do that for him, I'd have to do it for my brother's baby as well (who'll be 5 months old). Then they ask, "Well, what are they supposed to wear for the pictures?". I say "Uhhmmm ANY nice clothes?". FSIL1 "Noooooooo, he can't just wear any clothes!!". FSIL2 "Where did you buy the fabric, I can go and get some more?". It goes on... you get the drift.

Then they keep asking about the FGs dresses... and I show them what I like (cuz FSIL1 is already holding my wedding binder). Then she says "Ohhh... but don't you want the dresses to be floor length?". I say no. "Ohhh but you really should consider it... it looks SOOO much prettier". I say no. "Ohhhh but are you sure you won't change your ming, it just looks SOOOO nice!" I say NO, she keeps insisting.

How do I get them to BUTT OUT if they keep asking me wedding questions... I can't just NOT answer (Can I?). How do you all deal with nosy FILs?????????

Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)

• Ohh I don't envy you! Sounds like they are a bit overexcited, which isn't necessarily bad but I can see you are getting frustrated. Just smile, nod, play along with them a bit, then go home and have a glass of wine and relax :) My FMIL can be a bit like that and it's easier to just play along! May help to be a bit vague too when disclosing details in the future even (not sure how involved they are) to keep things surface-level?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just don't tell them any plans. When they ask you something, just say, oh FI and I haven't decided yet. 

If they don't know what your doing, they can't bash your ideas. 

• None of this sounds like that big of a deal to me.  With something like "oh you HAVE to invite so-and-so" just say "I'm sorry that won't be possible," and don't get into it.  Whatever they say, just repeat "no, that won't be possible."  Otherwise just say "thank you for your opinion" or "I'll take that into consideration" and then do what you want.  But if your FSIL wants to get the same fabric to make her baby an outfit, what difference does it really make?
    Married 10/2/10
  • edited May 2010
    Bahaha sorry hon I do not envy you. My FI has one brother and I don't have to deal with him. I guess just don't tell them..... but that being horny and not reeling it in just made my day LOL!!!!!

Seriously though I am SO OVER people telling me who to invite/inviting themselves, etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:ef999579-a0b0-488f-9a18-cd7b93608977">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohh I don't envy you! Sounds like they are a bit overexcited, which isn't necessarily bad but I can see you are getting frustrated. Just smile, nod, play along with them a bit, then go home and have a glass of wine and relax :) My FMIL can be a bit like that and it's easier to just play along! May help to be a bit vague too when disclosing details in the future even (not sure how involved they are) to keep things surface-level?
    Posted by lynds230[/QUOTE]

FSIL1's daughter is a FG. FSIL2 is nothing. FSIL3's son is in BP.
    I tried being vague at first, they just kept asking specifics... persistently vague may be an option :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:0119fb9c-31bc-43cc-ada6-a36f973ff344">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of this sounds like that big of a deal to me.  With something like "oh you HAVE to invite so-and-so" just say "I'm sorry that won't be possible," and don't get into it.  Whatever they say, just repeat "no, that won't be possible."  Otherwise just say "thank you for your opinion" or "I'll take that into consideration" and then do what you want.  But if your FSIL wants to get the same fabric to make her baby an outfit, what difference does it really make?
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

This was a three hour gathering... I've been engaged for a year and still have 6 months to go... I'm soooooo sick of these type of comments.

It's not just "Invite this person" it's "I'm going to give her one of the places of someone I'd thought of inviting who I think isn't coming" (what if they both show up, I have a seating chart to make!) even though I DON'T want this woman at my wedding cuz I don't like her AT ALL. If I had extra space I'd invite MY friends. It's frustrating....

The difference is that when my Drama Queen of a SIL (my brother's wife) sees that her baby is the only one not to be in "BP Apparel" , it's gonna create another problem. I just don't get why she NEEDS her sister's baby to be in the same exact outfit for ONE picture. I'm paying for the fabric cuz I didn't wanna MAKE everyone pay for the one I liked and now she's basically saying that if I won't include him, she's gonna go out, pay for it and dress him like the others. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
  • And trust me... they're the type to just go straight to the person who's making the dress and ask for a couple extra inches on the length of the skirt. Or to just invite her "BFF" to tag along... cuz "one extra person" isn't a big deal... And I can already picture her BUYING the FGs matching shoes, just because she thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

I'm afraid it's gonna make me look bad, that I didn't wanna pay for the FGs shoes to match or for the baby outfit to match... when really I just didn't wanna inconvenience everyone by making THEM buy matchy-matchy only-to-be-worn-once expensive things, which is why I was paying for everything in the first place.

They make me wanna elope, just so I don't have to listen to them tell me how things should be done (and then going off on their own and MAKING it go their way).
  • You don't have to tell them anything. Don't be vague about it. When they ask you something specific, tell them specifically "I don't want to discuss our wedding plans" eventually they will get the picture. Talk to your FI too, so when you are all together, it's not just you that is refusing to tell, your FI should also be saying, "Sorry, we've decided not to discuss our wedding plans"

If they do not get better I would have your FI talk to them, they need to calm down and leave you alone.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:d37bffc8-9161-470c-a12f-7bb7fd976f39">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And trust me... they're the type to just go straight to the person who's making the dress and ask for a couple extra inches on the length of the skirt. Or to just invite her "BFF" to tag along... cuz "one extra person" isn't a big deal... And I can already picture her BUYING the FGs matching shoes, just because she thought that was the way it was supposed to be. I'm afraid it's gonna make me look bad, that I didn't wanna pay for the FGs shoes to match or for the baby outfit to match... when really I just didn't wanna inconvenience everyone by making THEM buy matchy-matchy only-to-be-worn-once expensive things, which is why I was paying for everything in the first place. They make me wanna elope, just so I don't have to listen to them tell me how things should be done (and then going off on their own and MAKING it go their way).
    Posted by CristinaMBaez[/QUOTE]

Ughh! I wish I could offer advice but I have none, still I can only sympathize with yorur situation. One extra person IS a big deal and like someone said above, I get so upset that I "have to" invite people.... you dont' HAVE TO do anything... especially since you're the one forking over the bill.
  • Don't envy you at all.  Before someone loses it, is there at least one FSIL that you can talk to rationally and explain your concerns?  Maybe even with your FIs help you could convince them to tone it down a notch.  If not, you could come down with a contagious rash and use that as an excuse to not have to see them for a few months!!  JK.  Sorry, I know that some people go crazy when it comes to their youngest and/or only brother's wedding.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • stop talking about the wedding with them. period. tell them what they need to know (times, attire, etc if appropriate) and then don't say anything else. this isn't that complicated. 
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:7208f71b-7885-4518-aa72-954f2e4a6e9c">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]stop talking about the wedding with them. period. tell them what they need to know (times, attire, etc if appropriate) and then don't say anything else. this isn't that complicated. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

its really good advice.

Actually maybe something else would be to give them a job? That way maybe they will have something to keep them occupied?
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    First...leave your wedding binder at home for any future visits with FIL.

Second...if they ask about stuff, your response can be "We want it to be a surprise."  Move on to the bean dip.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:52a8a4a6-db35-49d3-8d74-7afc5f85cfb5">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always have Bethenny Frankel leave them a voicemail telling them to get a hobby.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Best advice in this whole thread.
  • Yeah, I had my wedding binder cuz I was doing wedding stuff, won't make that mistake again!

Someone suggested I assign them specific tasks, but maybe that would just make them feel more entitled to have things their way, that may be a slippery slope...

I'm not really upset upset, just kinda sick of them all...

I'll just keep quiet, it's just a bummer that I can't get excited about my wedding and talk about it with the FIL's without them trying to push their ideas over mine. I just hope they "don't take actions" gotta give all my vendors a heads up.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Why would you assign anyone tasks? Are you paying them? Will there be an earning of a badge at the end of the assignment?

• Cew515, someone suggested that (can you read?) to make the FILs feel included, if and when they offered I could assign specific things for them to do, to keep them focused on something and not having them try to change my plans... the sarcasm is unnecessary I'm aware they're not slaves to order around. It's irrelevant anyways, since someone else pointed out that wouldn't be a good idea.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:5b85edcc-01f3-4b60-ae9f-94da9d8c1498">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]It must be horrible to have in laws that support your wedding and are excited and want to make it a nice day for you and FI. If it bothers you that much, don't say anything. You're kind of fueling the imaginary fire here. 
    Posted by nboulanger[/QUOTE]

Are you out of your mind?? These people are not supporting her wedding, they're supporting what they think her wedding should be! She's in a situation where a group of women whom are about to become family are ganging up on her and demanding what <em>they want </em>at <em>her</em> wedding that <em>she's paying for.</em>

I agree with the majority of pp on here. Other than just not telling them anything, I'm not sure what to tell you to do. Have you talked to your FI about this? What does he think?

If it's possible I would try to get each one of them alone because together they are going to gang up on you and speaking with just one at a time would be a lot less intimidating & frustrating. I'd put together a price sheet be like "Here is where the fabric is and here is the person making the outfits, it's going to cost you X and X to get it made. Also, if you want your friend at this wedding it's going to cost you X to invite her since I'm already at my max and I'm going to need the money up front." That should shut them up for a little bit.
  • Actually, I can't read, but thanks for bringing it up and acting like a total asshole about it.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nosy-fsils-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84d5d435-fff2-4e83-8cfd-78d0353b0de5Post:52a8a4a6-db35-49d3-8d74-7afc5f85cfb5">Re: What to do about nosy FSILs?????? HELP! (Bit of a RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always have Bethenny Frankel leave them a voicemail telling them to get a hobby.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Oh man that's great! Probably the best response I've seen on TK.
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Well, this just took a turn from BSC FSILs to asshat OP.
  • jeb113jeb113 member
    First Comment
    It seems like they want their ideas heard so another idea would just be to say, "Thanks for the idea.  I'll think about it."  Maybe the fact that you're considering it might pacify them long enough to get through the night.  I've said that a lot with people that keep offering suggestions when they know I've already made a decision.  It's helped me so far.  Good luck!
  • Jeez that's a lot of added people! I don't know why your FMIL thinks she can keep adding people if she's not paying anything. I'm going to have my FMIL make some cuts off her list!

That whole situation really sucks girl, I'm sorry!! Keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it turns out!

• marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Dude, if FMIL isn't paying for anything, she really doesn't get a say in the guest list. Tell her that you can only have xx amount of guests and she can invite this many. Since your parents are paying for everything, they get the majority of the say. And don't let FI cut his friends just to appease FMIL. Otherwise she will keep walking all over him, and you, even after you're married.
  • I think you might have to step up and be a bit of a bi-a-tch. Answering them a couple times with no or whatever is fine, then if they STILL don't get the point- break out the attitude. I guess it depends on their personality, but some people that's what it take and they'll get over it. GL!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • She's paying for the cake.

He's not cutting his guest list to please her, he's cutting his list so I don't go after his mom with an axe and then have his sisters "retaliate" LOL. He's just avoiding conflict, cuz when it gets ugly, it gets REALLY ugly... cuz I refuse to let them all step allover us. But, I'm trying to be the bigger person here and trying to be civil about it (for now). I REFUSE to let him cut his list while all of her guests are over 60 yrs. old, if I let her get her way we're gonna have to serve an early bird special before the ceremony.

Thanks all for the suggestions I'm all "talked" out... :)
    See you at another post!
  • Sounds crazy, but I would love for my Future inlaws to be this CRAZY! haha they don't care at all about the wedding, and dont like me a bit.  It would be nice for me, but I'm sorry for all of the stuff you are dealing with, next time dont bring the binder!
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Some of them are already married, so they've already had the opportunity to do it their way.  This is your time to shine, and do it your way.  Just tell em how it is, but nicely.  That's what I've been doing.  I usually spit something out like, "Wow that sounds really great;  I appreciate your advice but lucky for me this is my day, and I'm going to do it like this."  I luck out and have an amazing Aunt who has already gotten mega bridezilla Aunt and has said it's not about you to a few people haha!  Good luck!  
  • OP, if you want to be low key about it, try saying something along the lines of - oh, we're not here for wedding stuff today, we're here to celebrate father's day or enjoy sunday dinner or what ever.  If they persist, bean dip them.  GL & HTH
  • good luck girlfriend!  my fiance doesn't understand what the big deal is either when i ask him to change the subject with his family or to answer some of their questions himself. 
    and to those of you hating on this poor girl- really?!!!  us brides should all be sticking together.  i can be excited about my own wedding for about 15 minutes with other people before it becomes exhausting.  everyone wants to interject their own opinions and its very difficult not to take suggestions as critisms.  my advice is to minimize the time you spend talking about the wedding with the in-laws.  as impossible as this seems, no doubt your fsils have their own lives they would like to talk about!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards