Snarky Brides
Options

Black/Grey wedding cake??? because you are all so honest :P

So if someone had told me i was going to have a grey/black wedding cake i wouldn't believe them....

What does everyone think of this cake? I am completely in love with it,but dont want it to look to gothy or anything like that

http://ourlittlegardenwedding.weebly.com/the-cake.html

thanks

Re: Black/Grey wedding cake??? because you are all so honest :P

• Options
    I actually really like this. It's simple yet elegant. The gray/black reall makes the flower stand out. I love it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Love the style of cake and the idea of the black. I think I would prefer black/silber or black/white?

Don't get me wrong, this is very likable as is and definitely distinctive.
  • Options
    I love it and I never thought it looked gothic.
  • Options
    thanks guys, yeh i think im going to do either black with silver ribbon, or dark grey with silver ribbon too , and i think the flower might be a little bit brighter just so it matches some of the flowers in my bouquet
  • Options
    I think its very pretty, but I fear what my teeth would look like after eating back fondant, even if it was just airbrushed. You may want to ask the baker, or get a sample with that color, so you can see if it stains your teeth and tongue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    HAHA wow i cant believe i didnt think about that....i will ask and samplebefore hand thanks sarah..
  • Options
    If you like it, go for it.  You don't need our approval.

But since you asked.... I really don't like it.  My tastes are pretty traditional though.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    About the fondant, it can be removed before serving.  Fondant is beautiful, but not very tasty so the cake can have buttercream icing under the fondant. 

This is how our cake was done:  fondant removed at cutting to reveal buttercream.  As long as the buttercream isn't black/gray, you shouldn't have to worry about stained mouths.
  • Options
    I think it's fantastic.
  • Options
    I also don't like it, but its up to you.  Also about removing the fondant, as a guest I would be confused if it seemed I wasn't eating the cake displayed, but I am easily confused and I would think it was weird they had a display cake, and then move on (especially if it was yummy).
  • Options
    love it!!!!! it would look great too with a silver ribbon.
  • Options
    Its pretty cool looking, but i'd worry about the teeth too.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with a PP that you should try a sample of black airbrushed frosting and black fondant.  The worst time to find out is on your wedding day that it stains teeth.  Or else have spare toothbrushes in the bathroom at the venue!
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    I like it and actually think it's really chic looking ... but not for a wedding cake.

But I know I have a stick up my but about things like this though, so please don't take it personally.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    leaynleayn member
    First Comment
    I really love it!  It is very different. 

My brother's wedding cake had some black icing.  It definitely turned everyone's lips and mouths a dark blue kind of color, but it was buttercream icing. 

I agree they can remove the fondant and you won't have a problem.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love it. Do it!
  • Options
    I wouldn't use it for my wedding cake, but I think it looks awesome!
  • Options
    I think it's pretty
  • Options
    leaynleayn member
    First Comment
    Why is my post all centered?  I must have done that by accident.  WEIRD
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree about the taste of the fondant issues.

We had bright blue fondant cake at my sisters shower.  The more food dye you have to use to color it, the worse it tastes.

I would take the suggestion and have them remove the fondant before serving.  Check to see what if your venue is going to charge you for it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

It looks cute and unique.

• Options
    OUR groom's cake was pure black and it had not 0 taste at all. Get the baker to make you a sample of the icing and taste it first.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty. What other colors are you using?
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    My bm dresses are a really dark purple and the flowers will be fuschia, orange, green,yellow etc....its an outdoor wedding so i 'm not really stickingto one colour scheme :) yeh my only problem with asking to try a ssample is that bakers in florida and im in texas until 2 weeks before the wedding, ill talk to her and figure soething out though :) thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's a pretty cake. I think as a decorative piece, it's unique and elegant. But in my opinion, it doesn't look appetizing at all. Something about slate grey fondant just doesn't really say "yummy cake" to me.

My favorite cake(s) of the bunch is the set of three with the leaf cutouts. I love those.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't really like it and agree with PP that it just doesn't look very appetizing. However, I LOVE the last cake on that page.

Whatever you decide will be lovely :)
  • Options
    Pretty!! I love it! But, I tend to like the nontraditional.
  • Options
    I don't think it looks goth, but I also don't think it looks appetizing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    its pretty, but most of the black/red/dark blue (intense colours) I have eaten have tasted pretty bad!
    5 Hot Wedding Cake Trends
    I'm sure you have seen this cake on TK, I think I read somewhere that black accents are better (as in taste better). What about silver/grey icing (you could get your baker to mix in shimmer powder so it could be pearly?) and have a black ribbon?
  • Options
    I think it is very pretty but I am not a fan of fondant.  I like what a PP said about using black (or whatever color you like) accents on white icing or maybe even chocolate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards