Snarky Brides
Options

S/O of artwork

Have you ever had anyone tell you or make it obvious that they did not like your artwork? How did you handle it? Did it bother you?

I ask because when FMIL and FSIL were here a few weeks ago FI brought my paintings out (the 4 I posted plus my reproduction of The Scream) to show them. FSIL really liked them, but FMIL just looked at them for a second, didn't say anything and then walked away.

I know that not everyone will like my work, but it really bummed me out. I'm getting past it now, though.

Photobucket

Re: S/O of artwork

• Options
    My mom hates some of mine, she says they're creepy. She likes the "pretty" paintings and none of the darker ones. For the most part I don't care. I do art for me, not other people.

Usually I bum myself out when it doesn't turn out the way I envisioned. But other people's opinions don't mean much unless it's being commissioned. Then I listen.
  • Options
    Yes, but there's plenty of other people whose artwork I don't like, so I try not to take it personally. I have the weirdest style when it comes to what I find beautiful and my art really reflects that. I can't expect everyone to be as cool as me, haha.

I'm a designer, so everything I do is for a particular client and I guess it does really hurt when a client doesn't like my ideas (although it shouldn't).. or worse.. they're thrilled but then MIL comes over and gags at the kitchen they just spent $150K on. I hate MILs for this reason alone.
  • Options
    AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Kind of.

It wasn't someone else, but it did make me feel pretty insecure. I sat next to one of the most talented people I've ever met for 3 years of Art class, and despite the fact that she was super awesome and would always help me, everytime I looked at my stuff, and then to hers I was like "Sigh. I wish I was that good. Why do I suck so much!"

I never show people anything I'm not sure is at least half decent. It doesn't help that I get lazy with my paintings and have the focal point really well done, but then just slap on a background.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_of-artwork?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9f6e960d-199a-4858-a71e-c97c7d2e45c9Post:4d0c93c6-5ad7-491a-895b-9b39cad242da">Re: S/O of artwork</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom hates some of mine, she says they're creepy. She likes the "pretty" paintings and none of the darker ones. For the most part I don't care. I do art for me, not other people.<strong> Usually I bum myself out when it doesn't turn out the way I envisioned.</strong> But other people's opinions don't mean much unless it's being commissioned. Then I listen.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Yes, that definitely bums me out more. I think maybe FMIL comes from the "pretty" standpoint, too. Her mom painted and everyone in FI's family has at least one of her paintings, but they are all "pretty" landscapes. I actually don't like her paintings because I think they are boring. I guess we are even, but I would never even hint that I don't like them.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In high school my favorite artist was Frida Kahlo, I admired the way she put all her issues out onto the canvas in a literal way and I definitely made my own issues that people did not like. But like Seshat said, it was for me and about me so I almost didn't expect others to understand.

Also, I do a street fair where the spectator's get as drunk as possible and critique the art loudly as they walk by, so I think I have a heart of steel after going through that so many times. I do portraits of musicians, so I convinced myself people's reactions were to the musicians and not my art, which is true.
     But I also do collaged and painted cigar boxes and people really like to dis on those for some reason, so I stopped putting them out, so I'm not all steel.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You can't take it personally.  If art isn't your FMIL's thing she might not "get" the artwork she saw, or she might have a totally different aethetic than you do.  While it would have been nice of her to say "wow, that's an interesting point of view" or "what made you choose that for a subject?" or something else that would have started a dialogue between you two, maybe not saying anything was her way of gracefully not hurting your feelings?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Everyone is completely different, think about magnets, how some attract over magnets fast, and repel in the other direction, this is like arts, media etc...  Not everyone will like your work, even if they don't, just remember, you left a lasting impression on the onlooker regardless... they might even have nightmares, and then love your work in the end :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_of-artwork?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9f6e960d-199a-4858-a71e-c97c7d2e45c9Post:d194a131-50ba-4522-ac09-22b9dcebb919">Re: S/O of artwork</a>:
    [QUOTE]It used to bother me a lot until my photo teacher gave me a lecture on how some people will like your work and others won't. <strong>Trying too hard to make people like your stuff and worrying if people will like it or not can stifle your creativity</strong>, know what I mean? People view art differently so I keep that in mind too. Some people's tastes are different.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't base my artwork on if people will like it or try to make them like it. I think it's because I really haven't shown my work to many people outside of my family or art class. So I'm used to biased opinions. lol.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    CS - I'm actually working on doing just that! There's a local art show here once a month and I'm trying to get a spot in it. I'm nervous, but pretty excited!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Growing up I loved to draw 2 things, fantasy art, and horses. I rode horses and loved them, and started getting fairly good in my art work when they were involved. When I was a senior in high school my art teacher told me I drew horses too much, and was no longer allowed to draw them for school projects. He also told me that my fantasy sketches were stupid and not real art work, and not to waste my time doing them.

As stupid as it sounds, 18 year old me took it really to heart. I haven't painted in 8 years (other than the house) and no longer sketch or do anything in a drawing/painting field.

I tried to get back into it in college, but I was living with my ex who was incredible at drawing and painting. Once he saw me playing around with a painting and went "Oh...that's...cute, I guess, if you're 5." I was heart broken and threw out everything :(
  • Options
    katie - that doesn't sound stupid at all. that is absolutely heartbreaking. I really feel for you. I think you should give it another shot, though. Even if no one, but you sees them.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Katie, what that teacher did is a violation as far as I'm concerned.  He should have been excited to have a student take his art class seriously because I'm sure there were plenty of students who thought it was a joke.  He never should have told you your work was a waste of time and stifled you in any way.  It was his job to encourage you, and to bring out your creatvity; he accomplished the opposite.
    As far as your ex, you should have given him an elbow to the crotch.  I hate when talented people know how good they are and use their confidence to hurt others.  What an asswiper.

Take an art class, go to a park and start sketching.  Keep your art for yourself, as an outlet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_of-artwork?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9f6e960d-199a-4858-a71e-c97c7d2e45c9Post:bc8197ce-3010-458c-82a3-9aef3ed74c36">Re: S/O of artwork</a>:
    [QUOTE]Growing up I loved to draw 2 things, fantasy art, and horses. I rode horses and loved them, and started getting fairly good in my art work when they were involved. When I was a senior in high school my art teacher told me I drew horses too much, and was no longer allowed to draw them for school projects. He also told me that my fantasy sketches were stupid and not real art work, and not to waste my time doing them. As stupid as it sounds, 18 year old me took it really to heart. I haven't painted in 8 years (other than the house) and no longer sketch or do anything in a drawing/painting field. I tried to get back into it in college, but I was living with my ex who was incredible at drawing and painting. Once he saw me playing around with a painting and went "Oh...that's...cute, I guess, if you're 5." I was heart broken and threw out everything :(
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

That's horrible. I love fanasty-ish stuff art, and luckily my teacher was pretty accomodating. We had several assignments that were fairly based off of this. Cause I mean, it's called creativity. Imagination is what makes for awesome art imo.
  • Options
    I gave the teacher a foot punch in the junk, literally. He was also my karate teacher and I may have "missed" a kick that was supposed to be aimed at his ab area. Oopsy.
  • Options
    My college art teacher. I got a C in art. How do you give a grade in something like that? That was a big speech he gave at the beginning of class. We were supposed to keep a dream journal. Yes, I fudged some of them, but I had odd dreams - at least the ones I could remember (people in army fatigues robbing a pink and gold marble jewelry store?????), so I drew a lot of images of things I thought of.
    The journals were what he based our grades on, primarily. And, when the class critiqued our paintings, it was always " the corners are lost" or something like that.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Well, I write. But I've gotten my share of hate mail. I actually love hate mail though because it means people are reading my articles and it made them angry enough to take the time to respond.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards