Snarky Brides
Options

Tell me about your sucky gifts!

Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:8a88f46d-35e3-483b-93e2-d7de18de0bdf">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about a surprise clown that spins and plays music?  Huh?  
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]
    I want to send that to someone I hate.  I don't know who just yet, but I'd love to have it lurking in the closet, waiting for the perfect opportunity.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:524edeb4-249a-4249-aae0-093d67e2da7e">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts! : And apparently, you also need massive amounts of random house decor, sheets, blankets and other random crap during the first 5 years of your marriage too.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]
    Ha I think so!
  • Options
    Oh and I got a giant cupcake pan, that FI and I actually bought 4 years ago. We MADE them a cake with it, a few months after we purchased it. But apparently, they don't have a reciept for it. So, I felt really bad, because they couldn't get their money back, and now it's just going to sit in the box in our storage unit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:2a0acb0d-abed-4e82-aba6-ed796987fbb2">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts! : I want to send that to someone I hate.  I don't know who just yet, but I'd love to have it lurking in the closet, waiting for the perfect opportunity.
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

<div>hahaha oh man, this makes me want to send it to you just so you can be all evil 7 years from now when someone pisses you off.  Awesome.</div>
  • Options
    Milkduds - I could see that if it weren't for them knowing about the two ER visits and the complications that I am/was having. Oh, and Mil got me a wooden figuring of a pregnant person, which I will absolutely love and adore after I have my ultrasound and know everything is ok.

CS-  Ugh! You too? I thought the worst of it was when we bought the house and both our parents were giving us stuff. Some of it was awesome but mil kept giving us "family heirlooms" that were falling apart and we weren't allowed to fix them or ever get rid of them as long as she lives. Um...my house is not your free storage unit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:484bd8cf-ee55-4c01-89c4-52f4e32c47bf">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts! : Your new name is Gem and the Holograms.

Haha! That's what I think of every time I look at it. They crack me up. I was Jan for a while, but I think I like Gem better.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:c9774332-9fcf-4087-8549-9f15acbb6149">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guys. Grandfather Clock.  That's all I have to say.  It still makes me scratch my head.

WTF?
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:9462ed2b-82b3-44dd-80af-bdcf093adf92">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts! : hahaha oh man, this makes me want to send it to you just so you can be all evil 7 years from now when someone pisses you off.  Awesome.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]
    You know I would keep that thing for just the right opportunity and then BAM. (Or, to honor Nebb, BOOM penis stomped).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:010c3f42-8ef6-4814-97cf-15ce609a8f34">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts! : Haha! That's what I think of every time I look at it. They crack me up. I was Jan for a while, but I think I like Gem better.
    Posted by JenGin74[/QUOTE]
    I got demoted this year by FI's grandparents.  Originally, when we moved in together (so for the past two Christmases), they addressed cards to both of us.  This year, now that we're engaged, I wasn't on the card at all.  ::shrug::
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:283431a6-6ac0-4d18-92ed-54c5aa604b7c">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom also gave me cocoa that has 17 grams of fat per serving. I will bew giving that to someone else.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>OMG! There's a nice healthy snack!</div><div>
    </div><div>My SIL gave me a secret santa gift (lulu crops, wicked!) but then (I imagine to top it off to make the $100 limit) she gave me six lindt chocolate balls. Um, thanks, you know I am trying to watch what I eat (so is she) and lose weight...if I weren't more rational I would think she was trying to sabotage my weight loss! Of course, I have already eaten three of them so clearly the sabotage is a success.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-sucky-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a4122f45-8da8-4fb1-9f9b-b515e607b298Post:f1a1d710-8d90-4f8f-9293-86cdc39ead8a">Re: Tell me about your sucky gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]To put this story into perspective, the first time I met H's grandma, she was dancing to "Sexy Back." Oh, and on Christmas Eve she asked me to find her a Mexican boyfriend. I told her I'd do my best. She said, "I just like to say that because it makes me sound dangerous." I <3 her.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]
    Hehe, I used to have a crazy g-ma.  It was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Oh grandmothers...is this his mom's mom or his dad's mom?
  • Options
    Mom's mom. We don't know his dad. Which is unfortunate, because he could have a whole other set of crazy grandparents we don't even know about.
  • Options
    We actually didn't get any sucky gifts. My dad's girlfriend's kids got me a movie I already own, but I didn't say anything because I know they were very excited about the present and I didn't want to burst their bubble. I gave it to my brother since he wanted to see it anyway.

As a gag gift, my dad put a gift card for H in an old popcorn box. Poor H thought he just got popcorn and acted all excited about it, then when he set the box on the floor dad was like, "Are you going to open it?"
  • Options
    FI got me a giftcard for a store I LOVE to shop at. He thought it was lame but I can't wait to go shopping. His mom wrapped the card and put in a Tang juice box and wrapped it, put that in a bigger boxed and wrapped it. The Tang happened to be the grape one and we joked about how I would have an allergic reaction to it before I opened the gift. I'm allergic to artificial grape flavouring. It wasn't a crappy gift but a crappy idea for wrapping because I have had bad reactions to the boxes. FI didn't know about the Tang and when he saw it he got really nervous.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The only sucky gift I got is the same one I get every year from my aunt.. A big tin of the caramel/white cheddar/ butter popcorns that is most likely already stale:/ I never know what to do with those.
  • Options
    I got some really hideous dishtowels that have a knit top that has a button so you can attach it to the stove handle. They are so fucking ugly, and I will never use them, but my gpa's neighbor who takes care of him gave us all them so I pretended I liked them for his benefit.

Hahahaha, I also got a christmas card from a friend of my moms made out to "Sam & Brian" haha wtf is brian?!
  • Options
    Part of my otherwise awsome gift from my godmother was a pocket day planner for 2011, with the 50 cent pricetag still on the front of it. I just shoved it back in the bag with the rest of the stuff before anyone saw it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Have you guys ever heard of royal doulton figurines?  My ex-MIL used to give me one *every year*.  Last count was 14.  So not my style, and they stand about a foot tall.  Almost made the divorce worth it, so I didn't have to pretend to be thrilled every year.  They look like this:

• Options
    Oh, Jackie! Those are certainly special.. to someone. 
  • Options
    Aw I think those are pretty Jackie :) But I also think once I got the second I'd go "wtf am I supposed to do with this?"

I think every Christmas just reinforces the fact that H's family knows nothing about me when it comes to presents. I still have no clue what he bought for them either, hopefully something good.
  • Options
    H got me a can crusher one year.  This plastic contraption you mount on your wall and crush pop cans etc in.

• Options
    EBay, Jackie.  That's all I can say about such a collection.

The only sucky gift I got was . . . nothing.  DH's kids gave him a wallet so thick he's trying to figure out how to cut the middle out of so he can use it.  And for me and my daughters - absolutely nothing.  Not a card, not a text message, nothing.  Maybe I'm just a little bitter since it's our fifth Christmas together, and I expected something, anything.  Guess I'm just a greedy bitch. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Skippy, I would actually love that.  It would be SO useful with all the Dr Pepper we go through.
  • Options
    LesPaul--I'm cringing for you.   No gifts from your stepkids?  What does DH think of that?  I'd be appalled if my kids didn't think to get a gift for Chris (their stepdad).  You're not a greedy bitch.  You are a human being and worthy of some appreciation!
  • Options
    Les, that sucks! I really strongly dislike my stepfather but I got him a giftcard to a winemaking shop he likes. Because if I didn't, my mom would be mad, and I'd be a bitch. 
  • Options
    Les, you're not greedy. That is just inconsiderate and crappy.

Did H get you some neat stuff at least?
  • Options

Yes, H got me awesome gifts, and gifts for my daughters too.  I'm just disappointed that after 5 years they would be a little more accepting.  I had nothing to do with the divorce - I met H after it was over.  Getting his children to come over for lunch was a big deal (and it shouldn't be).  I'm not expecting large gifts, but a card or some acknowledgement would be nice.  They're (almost) 18 and 21 - certainly old enough to be courteous.  Especially in light of H's generosity in paying for their college, etc.

imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    KW if it makes you feel better FI's mom knows nothing about her own kids let alone me. All of her gift ideas came from someone in my family or FI himself. Last year she got him a leather coat. He hates wearing coats. She also wanted my mom to buy him this huge sweater. My mom was like "uhm...your son is walking around in shorts in -30 degree weather, he isn't going to wear a sweater". Her reasoning was "but then I'll get it". Apparently I'm cut from the equation here....
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards