Snarky Brides
Options

What are your thoughts?

How do you feel about the idea that "we are celebrating our two families becoming one" upon the marriage?  I feel like it's a nice, but naive thought. My parents love my fiance, but they aren't "joined" to his family. OR am I missing the point with this idea? I just find it aggravating.....

Re: What are your thoughts?

• Options
    This seems like a really odd thing to be aggravated about.

Is there more to this story?  I mean, WHY are you aggravated about it?  If it doesn't apply to you, then just don't worry about it.  Is someone trying to force blending and happy togetherness on you?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    You're right it's something so trivial to be aggravated about. I do have a few people in my life that say this.  They just say it all whimsical, and apparently it's the point of marriage to them. Don't get it, but I'm not close enough to them to ask for their reasons for thinking it. I also think aggravated is too strong of a word. I'm just confused about the reasons behind that, outside of cultural reasons. 
  • Options
    Got it.  I'm with you--I mean, we joined ourselves together...but not really our families.  I mean, I guess yeah, now they're joined by marriage technically and such, but it's not like we have giant family to-dos.

Just let it go. 

• Options
    Whatever, J. You didn't take his last name. You're OBVIOUSLY not joined together.
  • Options
    You're right, they aren't joined. Your two families aren't so much joining as much as you and he are joining and creating a new branch on tree.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:af0a6a55-f70e-4a0c-94b9-8bfb51a162a1Post:68ad7283-d1fa-4b83-a9e2-d301fde053ef">Re: What are your thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whatever, J. You didn't take his last name. You're OBVIOUSLY not joined together.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Oh no you di'int.

(don't forget the bank accounts)

• Options
    You should really feel sorry for FIL, since he's the one that seems to be most personally affected.

In his mind, at least.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thoughts-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:af0a6a55-f70e-4a0c-94b9-8bfb51a162a1Post:44f4d5fb-3fc8-44d0-a5f1-f3b16ba82f59">Re: What are your thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But, though I question your marriage, I still think you have the best wedding pictures.  So there's that.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

*like*

I'd say thanks, but all we did was stand around.  The credit goes to our wonderful photogs :)

• Options
    When we got married our two families did kind of merge. I know it's not the same for everyone. But this was probably because my husband only has a sister for family and my family is quite large. I think it's kind of nice that we all consider eachother family and treat eachother as such.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards