Snarky Brides

How do I stop letting bother me?

Long story short, my future sister in law is a not a nice person. My fiance doesn't like her (she is my fiance's brother's wife), my fiance's family thinks she's crazy, her bridesmaids (2 of them) dropped out of her wedding because she was so crazy... She's just insane. Here's some of the things she's done:
1. For her own wedding, she made everyone meet bi-monthly to discuss their duties / contributions etc. to her wedding. She would have a complete meltdown if people didn't show up.
2. She planned her own stag and doe and her own shower, and told everyone what they are buying and who's doing what
3. Had a complete melt-down people weren't spending enough on her bachlorette party in Vegas
4. I spent close to $300 on the dress, and shoes, and she sent me an e-mail today she doesn't think she will be able to afford anything more than $100 for my wedding. Fine, but I haven't even discussed dresses yet! Why bring it up now??
5. She sends me texts only when she wants something, "Can you come over on Friday and help us move furniture" or "Come over after school on Thursday to feed our dog. We're going out". She will never call to say hello, or just to chat. She always wants something. It's a running joke now between fiance and I that when we see a text or call from her, we make bets on what she wants.
6. Demanded her parents and sisters be invited to my wedding 
7. She is always saying, "I hope I don't go into labor on your wedding day." You will see from my other question that even though she's not pregnant yet, she is planning on giving birth at the exact same time as my wedding. 
8. She has called me cheap for wanting some silk flowers 
9. Makes fun of my thin hair and acne I have sometimes. She does it as a joke I feel like - trying to be funny, but she will never give me compliments, just laugh when she sees me and ask what happened to my hair etc. 
10. VERY selfish and cheap. She demands everyone does everything for her, but she will never do anything for anyone else. 

It's really bothering me that whenever we are with the family and someone asks me about my wedding, she will chime in with a stupid grin on her face and say, "hope I'm not 9 months pregnant at your wedding, or "I hope I don't go into labour on your wedding day." It's not that she will be pregnant that bothers me, it's the fact that she ALWAYS says this, obviously with the intention of trying to upset me.

A part of me just wants to completely ignore her, but another part of me wants to try and have some positive relationship with her for the sake of our future children. I want them to have a good relationship with their cousins.

How do I stop letting her stress me out? It's like she doesn't even like me. She just calls to get things from me (which I ignore - I don't give into her demands anymore), and it's whenever something good happens in my life, she has to chime in and one up me (ie my wedding and her not-yet pregnancy)

She's ALWAYS making digs at my career - saying I could lose my job in the economy.

She really upsets me - the only thing that causes stress in life, and I don't have the tools or capacity to deal with the stress. I don't know how to handle her. 
It's come to the point where sometimes I think that my dress is more expensive and how it's nicer than hers, and how my wedding will be nicer than hers. It's an awful way to live and think and I don't want to do it anymore. 
I think I just needed to vent. That e-mail today about the bridesmaid dress just set me off. I just feel drained. 

Re: How do I stop letting bother me?

• Ugh! I am so sorry!

She sounds horrendous. You are so right, that it is not a way to live to feel bitterness creeping up into competition about such an intimate day. Good for you for realizing it!

If she brought up being pregnant or going into labor on my wedding day, I would probably be passive aggressive and say something like "or you'll just sit there and eat loads of cake all night since you'll be way too huge to dance" or "well should my colors be blue or pink? or don't you know the sex of the baby you're not even pregnant with?" or "wow, so we could be conceiving our first while you're pushing out yours?" haha gross. Not saying that's what you should do, just saying that's probably what I would do, haha. Be a better woman.

It sounds like she just wants attention, and can't hack that now that you're planning your wedding, the spotlight is on you! She's saying "well maybe I'll be in labor" because she wants the conversation to come back to her and her baby-making stage of life. I would try to take the high road and say something like "well the plus side is that we'd already have cake and music and the family together to celebrate!" If you're a good woman, and she's a heartless wench, people will stick up for you and see right through her vain attempts for attention!

Chances are, she won't be in labor on your wedding day. And if it happens, people will always remember both of your special days!

Also, you could bring the attention back to HER HUSBAND (your FBIL) by saying "Yeah I'm sure we would love to share our special day with FI's brother and new niece or nephew! What a great celebration of life to spend with your loved ones!"

HTH, I feel for you, lady. Good luck! Your wedding's going to be beautiful no matter what FSIL does or doesn't do.

• sometimes our brothers (or sisters or brothers in law) marry women that we don't like.  yet, we have to live with them for the rest of our lives.  best advice?  ignore when you can, and make nice when you can.  her being crazy doesn't take away from the fact that she is married to your (future) brother in law, and you have to respect their relationship, even when she doesn't respect yours.  Be the bigger person.
    Married 4/30/11
  • Why on earth did you ask her to be in your wedding?  If you all don't like her don't ask her to be involved.  If she gives out demands of move the furniture or feed my dog say no.  She does this because she gets away with it.  The word no can be your best friend.  If she says stuff about her being pregnant say what will be will be and if you can't be there then that's the way it is. 

And holy crap, bridezilla much at her wedding?  I would have walked immediately.
  • Oooh, nice catch Meg. I hadn't related the two posts at all.

OP, it sounds like you need to have a serious think about what you want. Not in a selfish way, but in a mature, "this is how my life needs to go in order for me to be happy" way. If you and FI can't get on the same page about the video games, you need help or you need to break up. If you can't live with FSIL in some way or another, that's also a problem - she sounds awful, but she's going to be around forever, so you need to figure out a way to deal with her even though it's not your "fault." And you and your FI need to be on the same page about how you decide to deal with her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stop-letting-bother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b786f184-a870-4493-8ac8-1ef398d7e9b7Post:ad459848-c29f-48c5-b80e-6752a48e04b0">Re: How do I stop letting bother me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So ... you and your FI have decided to get counseling for his video game addiction? Because I really think you should be way more concerned with working through that issue (Since you kind of left that sounding like you really shouldn't be having this wedding) before you go fretting about his brother's wife being crazy.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

<div>Wait, is this the same girl? Dude, you have serious issues. </div>
  • Were you being ironic when you started your OP with "Long story short?"  You were, right?
  • Guessing you have decided to take 2nd place with your FI and his video games?!?! Maybe you should take the back seat on this too. SERIOUSLY??? Why do you let people walk all over you?????

She sounds nice(rolling eyes). I'm the kind of person that would be a you-know-what right back. When she says something like "Well i'm just going to give birth on your wedding day" I'd reply with "good-won't have to put up with you at the wedding"  I understand you wanting to play nice but enough is enough. Tell her that you have a small budget and her parents and sister will not be invited. Put your foot down and stand up to her.
    Anniversary
  • Don't invite her family (they have nothing to do with you), don't do her any more favors and if she gives you any more crap, kick her out of your bridal party.  Just say, "listen, this isn't working.  It doesn't seem like you're supporting me, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask someone else to be my bridesmaid"   Or, "since you're so worried about being fat and pregnant and/or in labor on my wedding day, I've decided to ask someone else to be my bridesmaid."  

It seems strange that you asked her to begin with.  Just because she asked you, doesn't mean you have to ask her.  My sister-in-law included me in her bridal party, and although I felt a bit guilty, I am not including her in mine.  Not because I don't like her, but because I wanted to keep it at just my sisters, since we're having a small wedding.  

Good luck, she sounds like a psycho!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards