Who here has been a camp councelor

Re: Who here has been a camp councelor

• Options
    I HAVE! lol

What's up?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This one time, at band camp...

No, you guys don't want to hear that story. It's so boring. /threadjacki'veneverbeenacampcounselorbeforesorryangi<3you
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_here-camp-councelor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d580ebf2-0a6f-4028-baa3-6955c2541a6cPost:bb136b1d-05e9-474b-9cbd-8e380ae724a2">Re: Who here has been a camp councelor</a>:
    [QUOTE]This one time, at band camp... No, you guys don't want to hear that story. It's so boring. /threadjacki'veneverbeenacampcounselorbeforesorryangi<3you
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

<div>Flutes were banned from our camp.</div>
  • Options
    Heh Mar!

Okay what do I bring to wear? What type of clothes, bathing suit?  What should I expect? My 1st RD rotation is at a diabetic summer camp. Basically I will be a camp councelor who shows DM kids how to eat and prepare meals, I think.
  • Options
    *Scratches flute off the list*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_here-camp-councelor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d580ebf2-0a6f-4028-baa3-6955c2541a6cPost:742e5a69-e74c-4fb7-90a8-d85a30c49363">Re: Who here has been a camp councelor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heh Mar! Okay what do I bring to wear? What type of clothes, bathing suit?  What should I expect? My 1st RD rotation is at a diabetic summer camp. Basically I will be a camp councelor who shows DM kids how to eat and prepare meals, I think.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>Where is it?  Is it woodsy?  Is it day camp?  I need more info.</div>
  • Options
    Okay. So woodsyish.

I'd treat it as a two-week camping trip.  You're going to be outdoors a lot.  You're going to get dirty.

Make sure you bring comfortable clothing - you'll probably be involved in some type of activity at some point or other.

Camps usually have "dances" and other ooey-gooey stuff, so pack at least one nice thing to wear.  

I recommend hiking stuff - good boots/sneakers, thick socks, etc.  Make sure you're protecting yourself against ticks (especially because there are horses at the camp).  Bring bugspray.  Bring sunblock.  Bring shower stuff (and a shower caddy) because you may not have a shower in your bunk.

Bring a few swimsuits, towels, etc.  BRING A CAMERA (I love all my camp photos). Bring snack food (For yourself. You never know what the mess hall food is like).

Hmm.
  • Options
    http://www.summercamp.org/CampMall/packing_list.htm

That's a basic list.  You may need to bring your own pillow, sheets, blanket/sleeping bag.
  • Options
    Ha well I will be helping make the food lol! Can I wear a bikini?
  • Options
    You can wear a bikini.  I think only the lifeguards are required to wear the one-piece suits.
  • Options
    Oh TY, A. I will save this list. You have been a big help!
  • Options
    Anytime!  Camp is really fun.  I think you'll enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    You may also want to see if they have certain theme night. We used to have certain themes for dinners at camp. Like western,formal Hawaiian etc.

Also can I go to this camp, eating habits have turned bad?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_here-camp-councelor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d580ebf2-0a6f-4028-baa3-6955c2541a6cPost:4258969e-f433-4c5d-8ac2-6b714908f65b">Re: Who here has been a camp councelor</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You may also want to see if they have certain theme night. We used to have certain themes for dinners at camp. Like western,formal Hawaiian etc</strong>. Also can I go to this camp, eating habits have turned bad?
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

<div>YES.  We had "Wild West Day" and it was excellent.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, camp wars.</div><div>
    </div><div>/imisscamp.</div>
  • Options
    Have fun! I was a camp counselor and it was a blast. The only this is on the swimsuit, I personally would go with 1-piece depending on the age/gender of the kids. If there are boys more than 10ish I'd feel more comfortable in a 1-piece, but thats me. Totally up to you.

I have a lot of cargo/hiking type pants and shorts. Bring a lot of t-shirts. I find that tank tops are really helpful too, to wear under other shirts. Have fun!
  • Options
    I have been a camp counselor twice. Once for elementary and once for high school. The camps that I was at required everyone to have a 1-piece swimsuit or they made you wear a tshirt over a bikini. You may want to check this out.

You will have so much fun though. Definately bring a camera and take it with you everywhere.

The camps I counseled at, I also attended as a kid and I know from both ends that letters afterwards are really neat to receive and send if they encourage that kind of thing. It really means a lot to the kids that their couselor cares enough about them to continue contact, at least for a little bit.
  • Options
    Dito the others. I was a camp counselor for 6 years.  A lot of dress code stuff is camp specific.  At the camps I worked at, bikinis were fine at the pool.  But if you weren't at the pool your shirt had to have sleeves (to keep the sun off of your shoulders, short sleeves were fine) and you had to wear closed toe shoes with socks always, even if you were just heading to the bathroom in the middle of the night. 

Be sure to bring a water bottle.  I sometimes brought a water filter too, I have a couple bottles with filter inserts, or I'd bring a brita pitcher.  Sometimes camp water isn't tasty, and you'll want to stay hydrated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards