Snarky Brides

wwyd? my reception location stood me up!

I called last week to talk to the owner of the restaurant we are having our
reception at. I waited 5 days (including the weekend plus) before calling back because I hadn't received a return call. When I called back Tuesday afternoon I spoke w the owner himself, he said he was just getting ready to call me, was glad I called, he could accommodate us that day, etc.

We decided FI and I should come in to discuss menu options tonight around 7,30/8pm because it wouldn't be the hectic rush for him (plus FI worked today).
I told him I would call when we were on pur way, he said that was fine but he is always there Sunday nights.

Well I called while in route, and guess what...he wasn't even there.
The girl I spoke with said he's never there on Sunday nights.

I'm not trying to be a bridezilla....but my time is so limited because of kids, work, et and trying to plan a wedding, and he decides to forget?! Lol

I'm upset...so I need some rational advice. Wait until tomorrow and resolve/stay with this place or tell him never mind.

The sad part is I already put this place on pur invites as the reception location :/
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!

• I'd stop trying to do stuff on the phone.  I'd go there in person on Monday and talk directly face-to-face to this guy and see what's up.
  • ok this might work,...but its 30 minutes away plus i have kids/job, not sure if that will work, especially if he isn't there thats a wasted trip/
  • I might try to reschedule 1 more time if you really want it there but if you can't trust him to show up for a meeting you can't trust him to have your reception there IMO. I might start investigating other options. Sucks about the invites though.
  • I would be frustrated too. I'm sorry that happened to you. Have you signed a contract or given any sort of deposit to the restaurant? I would try to meet with him one more time and see how it goes. If he disappoints you again, you may have to trust your gut and look for a different place to host your reception. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Did you go ahead and show up at the restaurant and he didn't come? Maybe he was making a special trip in to meet with you and just wasn't there yet. Regardless, he should have called.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:c2463d17-e8f3-4f0d-a6e3-cbeb1e4c5821">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you go ahead and show up at the restaurant and he didn't come? Maybe he was making a special trip in to meet with you and just wasn't there yet. Regardless, he should have called.
    Posted by leahkate[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>no...we were on our way, but had another errand to run...the girl I spoke with took my number and said she would have him call me either last night or this morning.</div><div>
    </div><div>No call yet of course.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm thinking he forgot, who knows.  My thing is he TOLD me he was there late pretty much every night, and this gal told me something totally different.</div><div>
    </div><div>I def have my heart set on this place for many reasons...he quoted us a great price per person (def in line with our budget) plus the atmosphere, its our fav restaurant, great location, etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>That was my biggest fear last night....I would be so livid if I plan this and he flakes out that day, what a HUGE embarrasment to my guests that would be.  And Hello Mr owner this is guaranteed $ and business for the night,?! lol</div><div>
    </div><div>Im going to try calling back here in a few minutes to find out his reason/excuse for last night. If he is sincere and apologetic maybe this can be salvaged lol if not I do have a good friend that owns a restaurant here locally we have already discussed switching to him.  I think his prices might be higher though, but at this rate I'd rather pay a little more and know my guests will be served.</div><div>
    </div>
  • called....he wasn't there LOL

seriously im mad right now :s

I did message my friend though to see if he can accomodate us. Last alternative is the church reception hall which I seriously do not want...
  • and what is an untacky way to fix my invites since they have this on there?

should I make a sitcker to go over it on the invite or include a seperate paper that says the reception location has changed?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:50b7450d-46ae-4752-b73e-c58ecde34f58">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]and what is an untacky way to fix my invites since they have this on there? should I make a sitcker to go over it on the invite or include a seperate paper that says the reception location has changed?
    Posted by beautifulmama28[/QUOTE]

I would probably make a separate paper insert, I don't see how you could do a sticker and still have it look decent. Sorry for your stress!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:9987c155-1e20-4edc-bb96-bfc016505579">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up! : I would probably make a separate paper insert, I don't see how you could do a sticker and still have it look decent. Sorry for your stress!
    Posted by Angelface225[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>ok, thanks...yeah your right, i'm not in my right mind right now, seriously I did not need this stupid stress lol</div><div>
    </div><div>that being said, my friend said he peobably can't do it at his place, but he's helping me find a place in our town where I can thats not too pricey.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I've already found one option, its a historical home ( I live in a post revolutinary war town, so theres a lot of historical buildings) so here is hoping I find a better option ;)</div>
  • so he just called me back...

hes trying to say that there was a mix up on my part, that I never specified 7:30am or 7:30pm

seriously!??

we have a second meeting planned for next sunday, not sure if we are going to go or not...
  • We had something similar happen with a different vendor. We found a limo company that was local that had a great price for a party bus for our wedding day. They were in the process of remodeling the bus, and told us it  would be finished months before our wedding. The owner called and texted me pics through the process. We finally made an appt to go put a deposit down, and he wasn't there. This happened numerous times. I called and asked him to let me know what was up, and when we could come sign a contract. No response. I waited a few weeks, then called again. No response. I finally called and told him that I needed for him to call and let me know if we were still on, or if we needed to look elsewhere for transportation. No answer.

And he is also the owner of the company. I saw an ad for his business on Craigslist the other day, so I know he is still in operation, but we have gone elsewhere for our transportation. It still irriates me that he just blew us off, and I will never understand it. I went months in between calls, so it wasn't like I was bugging him constantly or anything. i would love to leave feedback on his business, but he doesn't have any place to do so. So, it stunk, to say the least, but we went with another company. My fiancee was going to go over there and call him on his bs, but at this point I wouldn't trust him to show up. Make sure that in the long run you are going to trust this guy to actually provide what he is "selling" you. If it was me, I would look for someone else who valued my business, and was more trustworthy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:48efdffc-7d2d-4dbb-a90d-5ea0d2eac7ee">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]so he just called me back... hes trying to say that there was a mix up on my part, that I never specified 7:30am or 7:30pm seriously!?? we have a second meeting planned for next sunday, not sure if we are going to go or not...
    Posted by beautifulmama28[/QUOTE]

I would be very pissed that he tried to say it's a mix up on your part. Who goes to a meeting with a vendor at 7:30 am? Is the restaurant even open then? I'd let him know that I'm pissed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:79bbebc8-47c3-4de8-b8a1-fd44d077e127">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up! : I would be very pissed that he tried to say it's a mix up on your part. Who goes to a meeting with a vendor at 7:30 am? Is the restaurant even open then? I'd let him know that I'm pissed.
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]

<div>no way! lol that was my thought too, why on earth would I schedule a meeting on a SUNDAY morniing at 7:30am.</div><div>
    </div><div>He's either really old and forgettful, or a crappy business owner.</div><div>
    </div><div>I have another local place I'm talking too tomorrow, as long as the cost isn't too much higher I'll probably switch, plus I have at least a few other options to consider. His prices were amazing...I should have known lol $10 a person, ...we aren't having a formal reception, so a private dinner room is really all we need, but big enough for 60'ish people (max)</div>
  • update....

I decided to give him a second shot...we met with him today, all is set, I am happy girl.  I think he is just incredibly busy (he own's 3-4 restaurants in our area) plus he's an older guy.

I'm glad I held out, my invites look so cool and once I got in there and looked at our room today I knew it was meant to be in there.

Thanks ladies for all your help :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-my-reception-location-stood-me-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d69ab99d-e51a-4e9d-912f-cee6e29cdbe6Post:5333ed0d-a248-4ea8-889f-6f9b9bc17b22">Re: wwyd? my reception location stood me up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had something similar happen with a different vendor. We found a limo company that was local that had a great price for a party bus for our wedding day. They were in the process of remodeling the bus, and told us it  would be finished months before our wedding. The owner called and texted me pics through the process. We finally made an appt to go put a deposit down, and he wasn't there. This happened numerous times. I called and asked him to let me know what was up, and when we could come sign a contract. No response. I waited a few weeks, then called again. No response. I finally called and told him that I needed for him to call and let me know if we were still on, or if we needed to look elsewhere for transportation. No answer. And he is also the owner of the company. I saw an ad for his business on Craigslist the other day, so I know he is still in operation, but we have gone elsewhere for our transportation. It still irriates me that he just blew us off, and I will never understand it. I went months in between calls, so it wasn't like I was bugging him constantly or anything. i would love to leave feedback on his business, but he doesn't have any place to do so. So, it stunk, to say the least, but we went with another company. My fiancee was going to go over there and call him on his bs, but at this point I wouldn't trust him to show up. Make sure that in the long run you are going to trust this guy to actually provide what he is "selling" you. If it was me, I would look for someone else who valued my business, and was more trustworthy.
    Posted by megannie[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'd recommend going to the BBB and letting them know about shady business practices. 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards