Snarky Brides

Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

• I really do see what you all are saying about the cartoons not really "doing" anything but what about the people who changed their pics and ARE doing things? My scrapbooking club is going to a children's shelter that my church has a relationship on the 18th before we have our monthly party. So some, I'm not saying all, people are doing something.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Stop actually caring, Loopy.  YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!  GOSH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:b403a3fb-3d60-4914-8321-0cb86d537561">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really do see what you all are saying about the cartoons not really "doing" anything but what about the people who changed their pics and ARE doing things? My scrapbooking club is going to a children's shelter that my church has a relationship on the 18th before we have our monthly party. So some, I'm not saying all, people are doing something.
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

And that's fine. But just go ahead and do things then. Why bother with the picture change BS?
  • What's the point of the cartoons? It's dumb.
  • You know how FB is and I would hope that the changing of the pic thing might have sparked some people to DO something. Ya know? Sometimes you have to reach people where they are and there are a bunch of folks on FB. I would hope that many people are thinking about doing something about child abuse because of this. You really don't know.

I see it as if 10 people see this and do something, then it worked.
  • I don't know the point of the cartoon, Ricks. Maybe to kinda take you back to your childhood? *shrug*
  • Its so nice that you help out at childrens shelters courtney, do you knot from there too or is that only when youre supposed to be teaching?
  • Hi Nebb! Happy Saturday!
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010

I don't take it too seriously, I didn't participate because I'm aware it doesn't accomplish anything and when I want to support a cause I actually do something like volunteer, donate, whatever. But I'm not pissed about it, lots of sheep, it's kind of FB business as usual. Though I must admit when I saw one friend change theirs to Scrooge McDuck I thought it was pretty sweet, silly awareness campaign aside, Duck Tales rocked my socks as a kid.

Photobucket
  • there should be no human faces on facebook, but an invasion of childhood cartoons, which SHOULD be the only memory any child has

So no happy memories either? I don't get it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:aa807622-bb79-4e67-9b9b-6bdb9a1c9bd7">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stop actually caring, Loopy.  YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!  GOSH!
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL.  Facebook is blocked at work, but when I get home in the morning I will change my status to support dinosaurs instead of being all caring and stuff.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:ad934b19-410a-4822-ad28-673006ff2c46">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know how FB is and I would hope that the changing of the pic thing might have sparked some people to DO something. Ya know? Sometimes you have to reach people where they are and there are a bunch of folks on FB. I would hope that many people are thinking about doing something about child abuse because of this. You really don't know.<strong> I see it as if 10 people see this and do something, then it worked.
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]</strong>

<div>Agreed MC, I see this your way.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I doubt you can find 10 people on all of facebook that actually did something because of the stupid cartoons.

If people are doing stuff for child abuse, they probably have been doing it long before the cartoons and will do it long after.    

I'd be willing bet that MC has volunteered at a shelter before this fb stuff.  I'd also bet that all these people saying "I am doing X, Y, and Z" have also done charity work prior to this.  You can hardly credit the cartoon for it all.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:c3eb48bd-55c9-445e-801a-a2c688802236">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I doubt you can find 10 people on all of facebook that actually did something because of the stupid cartoons. <strong>If people are doing stuff for child abuse, they probably have been doing it long before the cartoons and will do it long after. </strong>      I'd be willing bet that MC has volunteered at a shelter before this fb stuff.  I'd also bet that all these people saying "I am doing X, Y, and Z" have also done charity work prior to this.  You can hardly credit the cartoon for it all.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I do not believe that this copy/paste trend suddenly woke someone up about helping abused children. It's just another conversation piece. So people can say, "OMG I totally loved that show!"
  • That's all I've seen is people saying "OMG! I LOVED that show!"

The one that pissed me off was on FI's friend's status. Some girl commented with "it just a way to raise awareness and have fun with it."

I held what I really wanted to say but I did post "is it something people really should be having "fun" with?" Child abuse is clearly a joke *eyeroll*
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Actually I think a lot of people who do not have kids themselves do not always have much awareness of child abuse-or they think it is only happening in stereotypical "poor families". Not that a FB cut and paste is actually gonna help that, just saying.

I agree it is offense to talk about "having fun with" the topic of child abuse in any context.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:843ab83e-f25c-468f-9657-e2c1ae9b0cc8">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually<u><strong> I think a lot of people who do not have kids themselves do not always have much awareness of child abuse</strong></u>-or they think it is only happening in stereotypical "poor families". Not that a FB cut and paste is actually gonna help that, just saying. I agree it is offense to talk about "having fun with" the topic of child abuse in any context.
    Posted by Lenore2010[/QUOTE]

I really hate when people do this.  Just because I dont have kids doesnt mean I dont know that child abuse happens or that there are charities out there that need help and money. 

Also there are plenty of childless people out there who are victims of child abuse themselves.

I donate to plenty of childrens organizations.  But I dont feel the need to blast my philanthropy on FB.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:88aa2bea-0c1c-4913-8628-a66515558639">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : I really hate when people do this.  Just because I dont have kids doesnt mean I dont know that child abuse happens or that there are charities out there that need help and money.  <strong>Also there are plenty of childless people out there who are victims of child abuse themselves.</strong> I donate to plenty of childrens organizations.  But I dont feel the need to blast my philanthropy on FB.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

You're in my brain!
  • Wait, what's child abuse?  I don't have any children so I can't possibly know.

Also, if someone could tell me what a Diaper Genie is maybe I could sleep tonight.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:70301e13-b76f-42ee-be0d-f5b9308f6b67">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, what's child abuse?  I don't have any children so I can't possibly know. <strong>Also, if someone could tell me what a Diaper Genie is maybe I could sleep tonight.
    </strong>Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

He brings you Diapers. You're welcome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:70c36cea-6ea7-4b65-8c1f-a8bceb3b5708">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : He brings you Diapers. You're welcome.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

You have to rub a package of diapers first, though. CCF always leaves that part out. And you have to say "Abracabadra Shazam Shazam" 3 times. Then the diaper genie appears. Sleep well, Kim.  : )
  • Sleep well?!  Now I'm scared there's a genie in my house!  WTF!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:b85d0db1-2743-425c-bb60-c2eb32839c7c">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : You have to rub a package of diapers first, though. CCF always leaves that part out. And you have to say "<strong>Abracabadra</strong> Shazam Shazam" 3 times. Then the diaper genie appears. Sleep well, Kim.  : )
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

Are you KUI?

Cuz I am...
  • No! That's what you have to say for the diaper genie. It's not like he's your average genie or anything. Gosh!
  • I hear that the Diaper Genie is a portal for the devil.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't bothered reading any of this thread, but I just had to say that I love your sig, my dear Ricks! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:88aa2bea-0c1c-4913-8628-a66515558639">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : I really hate when people do this.  Just because I dont have kids doesnt mean I dont know that child abuse happens or that there are charities out there that need help and money.  Also there are plenty of childless people out there who are victims of child abuse themselves. I donate to plenty of childrens organizations.  But I dont feel the need to blast my philanthropy on FB.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't have kids - so no slight on anyone. I have just noticed some of my fellow child free friends (not all, by any means) seem to be a bit tone deaf to issues involving kids - issues all the way from legal and custody issues to facts about abduction and abuse.  On the other side of the equation, I do know people even my age who don;t have kids and are very aware of all this stuff, sometimes because their work or the cause they contribute to put them in the way of it. or sadly because they were victims themselves.</div><div>
    </div><div>My point is that awareness is not a no-brainer for everyone.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am not sure where all the anger has come from on this topic, I  mean I do not even do FB anymore but hey it's FB posting. The same as those chain-posts about cancer "awareness" (not just breast, either) or baby loss. I think a lot of intelligent people know that posting something on FB is not a solution to any of that, and no doubt some people are using it in instead of actually doing something/giving a damn but really is it doing harm? Are not most of the people doing it at least well intentioned?</div><div>
    </div><div>If you want to get upset about some crap online, how about the NAMBLA website-you know the boy-man love group. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:1017dc82-cc48-49e9-9230-918466b2395e">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Nebb! Happy Saturday!
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hahaha Im going through facebook now and reading all the comments people left on peoples dinosuar statuses. So much righteous indignation.

I have to admit I kind of judge any of my friends who actually did, and are still doing, the cartoon thing. so  lame.
  • I'm impressed that I haven't been defriended by anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards