Snarky Brides

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

124»

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_big-fat-gypsy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:dafc36e6-1140-464c-aff1-8fdeb668e615Post:78ad6b8f-b834-4fd9-abf6-e61bec59187f">Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? <strong><u>: I have seen the show.  Yes, biologically they are ready to have babies at 10. </u></strong> Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is the whole point of having a period.  Does that mean they should have babies in our society?  No, they are not prepared.  In our society, 10 year olds have not been brought up to be self sufficient or even at 16 for that matter.  But that does not mean that in other societies 16 year olds aren't capable and prepared for getting married and having babies.  I have spent some time in a society where women usually get married between the ages of 11 and 14.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or better or worse then our society.  I just wanted to remind people that in America and Europe around 100 years ago it wasn't uncommon for women to get married at 16or even younger, and that it still happens today.      
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]

Yes, because a 10 year olds uterus can TOTALLY sustain a pregnancy.  Cmon.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_big-fat-gypsy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:dafc36e6-1140-464c-aff1-8fdeb668e615Post:78ad6b8f-b834-4fd9-abf6-e61bec59187f">Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? : I have seen the show.  Yes, biologically they are ready to have babies at 10.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is the whole point of having a period.  Does that mean they should have babies in our society?  No, they are not prepared.  In our society, 10 year olds have not been brought up to be self sufficient or even at 16 for that matter.  But that does not mean that in other societies 16 year olds aren't capable and prepared for getting married and having babies.  I have spent some time in a society where women usually get married between the ages of 11 and 14.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or better or worse then our society.  I just wanted to remind people that in America and Europe around 100 years ago it wasn't uncommon for women to get married at 16or even younger, and that it still happens today.      
    Just because they did it then doesn't mean that we should do it now.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Letting your child get married between 11 and 14 should be a crime no matter where it is practiced.  Its child abuse.  Period.  Like PP said, just because its done, doesnt make it right.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_big-fat-gypsy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:dafc36e6-1140-464c-aff1-8fdeb668e615Post:78ad6b8f-b834-4fd9-abf6-e61bec59187f">Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? : I have seen the show.  Yes, biologically they are ready to have babies at 10.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is the whole point of having a period.  Does that mean they should have babies in our society?  No, they are not prepared.  In our society, 10 year olds have not been brought up to be self sufficient or even at 16 for that matter.  But that does not mean that in other societies 16 year olds aren't capable and prepared for getting married and having babies.  I have spent some time in a society where women usually get married between the ages of 11 and 14.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or better or worse then our society.  I just wanted to remind people that in America and Europe around 100 years ago it wasn't uncommon for women to get married at 16or even younger, and that it still happens today.      

<div>Hey, thanks for reminding me that my period is not just God's punishment for being a woman, and that it actually has a purpose.   </div><div>
    </div><div>Seriously, you act like you're teaching us something new.  We all took history classes and learned about world cultures, you don't need a stamp in your passport and spending time in thise societies to know that it exists.  Perhaps you should head over to your local middle schools and give out lessons on "the woman's role" as they come in for pads.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ladies... let's not hate... she is clearly holier than we!! we should all just cave to HER opinion because obviously ours are wrong.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The weird thing is that lucky has a daughter, so im surprised that this is her opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lucky how would you feel then if your daughter told you at 14 or even 16 that she wanted to get married?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I know I'm late. I'm sorry I missed this thread. Here is some info that appears to be reliable (even though its from Wikipedia)

DH is Romanian, and although his family claims no Roma (Gypsy) roots, his name is one that was created by the Roma in protest to the Roman invaders... it doesn't translate into anything. It has absolutely no meaning in any language whatsoever. I find that all very interesting, as it was kind of an ingenious way to protest assimilation of language and culture.

"Roma" = gypsy in Romanian, and it is a valid ethnic group, but also used as a racial slur. However, where I grew up in Louisiana we had a group of "Travelers" come through offering to paint people's houses. They somehow got paid in advance (probably under the guise of buying materials) and then painted the houses some garish color (our neighbor's was purple) while the homeowners were at work.. and then moved on, never to be seen from again. They worked fast. So growing up, "gypsy" always meant con artist to me. When I met DH, I learned that they are an actual ethnic group in Europe and that some of them have valuable trades, but most live economically disadvantaged lives on the fringes of society.

But damn, I wanted to see this show! We were watching Jericho on Netflix
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? : I have seen the show.  Yes, biologically they are ready to have babies at 10.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is the whole point of having a period. <strong> Does that mean they should have babies in our society? </strong> No, they are not prepared.  I<strong>n our society, 10 year olds have not been brought up to be self sufficient or even at 16 for that matter. </strong> But that does not mean that in other societies 16 year olds aren't capable and prepared for getting married and having babies.  I have spent some time in a society where women usually get married between the ages of 11 and 14.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or better or worse then our society.  I just wanted to remind people that in America and Europe around 100 years ago it wasn't uncommon for women to get married at 16or even younger, and that it still happens today.      

<div>I don't think a 10 year old in any society is ready to have a child. I was pretty self sufficient at 16, but that didn't mean I was ready to have a baby.</div><div>
    </div><div>Just because it happens doesn't make it right. Honestly, I feel bad for the girls on the show. They honestly believe that it's a "man's world" and all they can be is a housewife. But at the same time while they're discouraging sex or even being alone with a boy before marriage, they have 8 year olds running around barely wearing any clothes, and dancing like they're strippers. </div>
  • Did anyone else see the ad in the bottom corner asking if anyone was a US Traveller that wants to appear on a TLC show? I would like to see that. Though at first glance it would be hard to tell the difference between a US Gypsy wedding and a Jersey Shore wedding.

Like everyone else mentioned, I can't see the relationship between the super high morals and dressing like a hooker. Something is not matching up! The "grabbing" is really kind of creepy. I'm pretty sure we call that sexual assault

And, I really don't feel bad being "so judgy". If you don't want people to judge your secretive and traditional ways, don't put yourself on tv! It annoys me when people get all up in arms over being judged when they put themselves in that position.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have seen on other shows like Dateline or 20/20 that they are called travelers because they are scammers and they have to move around alot. The men go out and get jobs, like remodeling houses or the sort, and then they scam the people they are doing the work for.
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    So, the whole time watching this show last night and reading this thread today, I have Cher's Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves stuck in my head. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The Traveler culture is alive and well in the upstate of South Carolina - but they live in their own communities - most of their work is scam related - home repair, roofing, tree surgery...sketchy to say the least. The homes are ornate with statuary in the front yard but their windows are blacked out or covered in surtains so you can't see in. Very bizarre. Thank God I live on the SC coast away from that silliness!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_big-fat-gypsy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:dafc36e6-1140-464c-aff1-8fdeb668e615Post:e606ddc8-70cc-4316-a453-23be938be326">Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, the whole time watching this show last night and reading this thread today, I have Cher's Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves stuck in my head. 
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

<div>well thank you! now I do too... lol</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just finished watching both episodes here in the US.  The narrator made a point of talking about the dichotomy of the values and morals of the gypsies and how they dress and act.  I actually didn't see much difference between their culture and values and ours, just a difference in how it is expressed.  Their values are extremely old fashioned...girls can't be out alone, no drinking or sex before marriage, men provide for the family, etc.  

It's where those values clash with modern culture that most people get confused.  I've seen girls with less clothing on in the High School I work in than what those girls wore in their normal attire.  At least in the daily attire the girls cleavage was covered up.  I wish the teeange girls I teach would cover up more.  They just really go overboard for the big parties...communions, weddings, and bach parties.  

I don't see how they dress to attract the opposite sex is any different than other culture's traditions.  Binding feet, stretching necks, huge holes in the ears, boob jobs, butt jobs, liposection, botox.  

It is their culture and I don't get the need to make fun of it.  It may be extremely different from ours and go against our cultural norms, but then those our are norms not theirs.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards