Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Daycare costs?

Those of you who are paying for daycare or know what others are paying for daycare...what is your weekly or monthly cost if you don't mind sharing? It can be an average or a range, I am just looking for general numbers here.TIA!

Re: Daycare costs?

• callie_knotcallie_knot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can tell you what some of my schools charge. Tell me the age because I think that matters. Toddlers and infants cost more at most places. Only one school I teach at has infants I think? But they all have toddler classes.
  • appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Infants to toddlers...pre-kindergarten age.
  • edited December 2011
     I do not use day care. I did look into it and realized it made more since for me to stay home. I checked out several different schools they all cost around $800 a month. My daughter was 3 when I was looking. She is 4 1/2 now and pre-k is about the same. You can find less expensive day care people who run day care out of their homes. My concern with this is because it is in someones house who is coming and going from the house. There are not usually security checks in place. If you choose a daycare/preschool you can get online and see your kids in the class room. Also there is more organization, and a curriculum not just play time all day.  The cost does depend on the age of the baby/child. I would imagine it also varies a bit from one area to another. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is why I was wondering...David said if me working just pays for daycare it doesn't make sense to work and to just stay home. I hope to stay home hehe I know I have heard in the past daycare was like 300-400/wk and if that's the case....I would get to stay home lolKnowing that, it makes me want to wait a little longer to get everything as paid off as we can to reduce monthly costs if he is going to pick up the slack. He already pays for probably 75% of the bills anyways plus with me home I can make dinner more than I can now and reduce costs that way and also not driving as much. Just things I have been thinking about since the m/c bringing up those baby fever tendencies.
  • edited December 2011
    Apple, you could also look into getting a job (maybe even part time) that allows you to work from home. That is what I am in the process of doing because I know I want to be able to do more "wifely/motherly" things that I just won't have the time or energy to do if I'm working full time out of the house. I don't think I could ever just stay home all day though...I'd have to work from home or volunteer or something...I'd go stir crazy! LOL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lindsay I was thinking of that option as well. After about a month I'm sure I'd be like...what now? LOL I know I could go back to work for my parents part time because I could take the baby but that only works for so long and working from home would be MUCH easier.What opportunities are you looking into? I wouldn't know where to start and am too scared to try the ones that get spammed into my email accounts. No one I know is doing that without having worked at a company that transitioned them into working from home after some years working at the office.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, they are really tough to find but I lucked out because my old boss's wife is going to hire me to work for her. It's for an HR Outsourcing company so basically I'll be doing HR for a large company but I get to office from home. Hopefully I'll get to start not too long after the wedding! Maybe you could open up a home daycare. I have a friend that started her own company so she could work from home. She makes blinged out pacifier clips and sells them on the internet and even in childrens stores accross Texas. I think you just have to find something you enjoy and figure out how to make it work from your house! Another lady I know homeschools her children and some other parents pay her to homeschool their children too. There are lots of options! GL!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! my mom was wanting my help in selling the fuzzy flip flops online and stuff for extra income(but she didn't realize how many other people do it too haha!). I love doing arts and crafts so I could look into that aspect. I know my best friend was talking about once she starts her nursing internship/job she will get the night shift so that way she could watch my kid during the day while I work and I could watch hers while she works. Then you get free daycare and more control of the disciplines I want my child to learn. It's all just speculation at this point as we are still trying not to get pregnant for awhile longer lol
  • edited December 2011
    I pay around $600. a month for Jayden.
  • edited December 2011
    but I forgot to mention- he's at a church daycare and they are usually cheaper. Plus he's in the pre-k class so its cheaper.
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can find less expensive day care people who run day care out of their homes. My concern with this is because it is in someones house who is coming and going from the house. There are not usually security checks in place. If you choose a daycare/preschool you can get online and see your kids in the class room. Also there is more organization, and a curriculum not just play time all day. I have to address this. My mom ran a daycare out of our home for 7-8 years when I was in middle school and high school, and there absolutely was structure and discipline and education. Yes, there are dumb lazy people who do home daycare and don't go through the proper channels, but that happens with bigger daycares too. To be a legal home daycare, you have to go through all kinds of inspections and paperwork and things, and usually the people who are going to go to that kind of trouble will be the ones who are serious about providing a safe, happy environment for kids in their home. She also had many friends who did home daycares, and they were all wonderful. I just had to say something because home daycares are not the horrible places they sometimes get made out to be.
  • labellagirllabellagirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's all going to depends on the type of daycare you go with - daycare for a newborn is generally more expensive and gets cheaper as the baby gets olderthe ranges that i've seen are (keep in mind these are averages for a newborn):in-home daycare $125-175 a weekdaycare centers - $200-300 a weekprivate daycare centers (similar to private school) - $325+ weeklyin-home nanny/babysitter (not live-in) - $400+ weeklywe paid in the range of $1000 a month for a part-time nanny when i was working full-timedon't discount in in-home providers - there are a lot of really good ones - the state has a list online of the licensed ones - i would start there unless you know someone personally or have a recommendation from a trusted sourcealso if you're thinking of finding a job where you can work from home, keep in mind that you'll still need someone to watch your child - it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get any work done while trying to take care of your kid - especially since a lot of WAH jobs are phone gate type positions - oh, and most day cares won't take a newborn for part-time care
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for that info labella! and everyone else...I appreciate it!:)
  • sksegovia@sksksegovia@sk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my 5 year old, I payed $300.00, but for just half the day since he did attend Pre-K for the morning hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards