Snarky Brides
Options

Facebook

I have posted here before about issues with Facebook, and today I decided to opt out all together. To many e-mails, to much friending, unfriending, drama and trauma status messages. Yes, you can control virtually all of that via various settings but at some point at least for me I just did not want to spend my time that way.

I am curious, has anyone else opted out, or thought about it?

Re: Facebook

• Options

Nope, but then, I don't take it at all seriously. I wouldn't know who had unfriended me or what FB drama was unfolding as I really don't care. I find it trauma status messages rather entertaining and I never get any emails from FB so neither of those have ever posed an issue.

I don't see it as that big of a deal, and I like having reminders of my friend's birthdays and the ability to stay in contact with old friends who I wouldn't otherwise hear from. 

• Options
    Ditto Sun. I love having facebook mainly to share pictures and spy on people. I log in maybe once a day just to check in. I don't really see much drama with the people I'm friends with. Either that, or I just don't pay attention to it.

My sister lives on Facebook. She's almost 36 and her entire life is spelled out via FB. I just couldn't handle that.
  • Options
    I got into a lot of drama a couple years ago and deleted my account.  I only recently got it back.  It is fun to go back now to see my old friends from HS and people I used to talk to.  A lot more then it would if I kept it.  Getting rid of it made me miss it a lot but I think it was good for me and my relationships.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I liked being able to do a wedding photo album there for sure but lately the whole thing has just been a pain. I agree it depends on your friends and how they are using it, and also if you even care. 

The nice thing is I could just deactivate the account and go back to it later. Just for now, blah tired of it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_facebook-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e882750b-f022-47cf-8ca8-829f113a68edPost:ab764ed1-4310-461a-9840-41c9fb1548e8">Re: Facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love FB.  I got rid of MySpace a long time ago because it was creeper city!
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

MySpace=Stalker Space.
  • Options
    I use FB, but I don't log in very often and I tend to ignore the whiney comments and drama.  I use it to keep in contact with people I wouldn't otherwise see, like my cousin who moved to Florida.  I like being able to keep up with her life through her pictures and status updates.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I use FB, but I have my account completely privatized (you can look me up by name but that's all you can see unless I friend you), and I opt out of every single "game" that is available (Farmville, etc.).  I don't participate in the friending/unfriending drama.  That started among my group when one of the guys I hang out with got the "Top Friends" application and spent SO MUCH TIME moving his friends around in their order of importance.  It was so stupid.  Finally he realized that everyone thought he was a huge tool for doing so and got rid of the application.

But yeah, I do know a lot of people who just opt out of using it because of all the drama associated with it.  You're not alone.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I use it to keep in touch with people but don't have that much drama. The occasional tmi friend sure but nothing to make me want to opt out of it. I just check it once a day to see if I have any messages/scan updates and go on with my day.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_facebook-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e882750b-f022-47cf-8ca8-829f113a68edPost:6d7d475f-ee4d-4fd9-aaa6-15d5e25c8ce5">Facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have posted here before about issues with Facebook, and today I decided to opt out all together. To many e-mails, to much friending, unfriending, drama and trauma status messages. Yes, you can control virtually all of that via various settings but at some point at least for me I just did not want to spend my time that way. I am curious, has anyone else opted out, or thought about it?
    Posted by Lenore2010[/QUOTE]

I opted out a year or so ago. I had an account to keep in touch with my son, and step-daughter(who was living in Ireland at the time), but after a stalking ex-of my ex-husbands found me a few times before. Not to mention my DH's ex possibly seeing anything I send to their daughter. I decided it wasnt worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I got off of MySpace a few years ago because scary people started sending me threatening messages. I used to accept everyone who friend requested me and then these random women would send messages like "GIRL HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW C?! YOU WITH MY MAN?! IMA F*** YOU UP IF I SEE YOU IN THE STREET," and I had absolutely no doubt that they would so I was like GPCMS!

But I like FB because I like to stalk people tehehe
  • Options
    I have never had any FB drama (*Knock on wood*).  However, i never post pictures or status updates, so that may be why.  I mostly use it to keep in touch with people that i wouldn't call on the phone, or to see pictures other take.  And of course, i use it to 'stalk' people from HS. Its like a class reunion w/o having to go.

My brother deactivates every few months, but i never understood why.
  • Options
    I don't usually have drama, but my friend does. It's kind of hilarious to read actually. I have my profile set so that I'm unsearchable and if you do find me, all you see is my profile pic and my relationship status unless I friend you. I mostly use it to host photos and keep in touch with my friends from here, especially when I was in/will be in the States.
  • Options
    I don't have FB drama, but I don't really use FB for anything more than sharing photos and keeping in touch with family and friends.  The only issue I have is former students trying to "friend" me because they see me on other teachers' profiles.  I keep my page very private and I have different groups that are able to see different things.  For instance, no coworkers, except personal friends, can see my pictures.  I think that cuts down on a lot of drama.
  • Options
    I delete drama-FB people.  But I really like it because I can keep in touch with family and old HS friends, etc.  Plus a few knotties :)  It's also been nice to post the wedding stuff since both of our moms aren't close to me and they are both on my FB.
  • Options
    I love Facebook - I use it mostly to network and keep in touch with people more frequently than I otherwise would.  Most of my status updates are jokes or not all that serious, too.

That said - yeah, I've considered opting out of Facebook.  For a while there it consumed a lot of my time - I would seriously surf through FB, without even really typing anything, and then realize how much time had passed and I'd done nothing productive.  It was becoming toxic to me!  I don't abuse it as bad anymore.  And I have a ton of friends (close to a thousand) so I'm very careful about how I use it.  I've had state legislators, office holders and other professionals add me to Facebook (because of my job in news) and so I've created a limited profile for them to view, so they can't see my stupid status updates or pictures of my vacations in California.  Stuff like that.

But yeah, keeping up with the drama/trauma can be both hilarious, and annoying or exhausting.  Since I have a lot of friends, the number of people that I know who use Facebook too much is quite high.  I know way too much about a lot of people.

I can't fault anyone for deleting their Facebook.  Especially since it's never really deleted...
    panther
  • Options
    I live 7 hours from my family, and I found FB to be my connector to all the things that I miss out on -- like birthday parties, graduations, general get-togethers.  There is a niffy option that lets you hide peoples updates, without defriending them.  Every once in a while I grow weary of my nephews exploits and I "hide" him for a while... What I dont see or read can't bother me... 
  • Options
    I live on Facebook. Not so much now since I started College but that is a good thing. My sister whom is 38 also lives on facebook but even more so then I did/do. I took the time to set my settings and I pretty much keep them that way. I feel no need to consistently change them. I either like you or don't. If it's not then you aren't on my list. (with exception of a cousin who I added just to report her nude photos of her 3 yr old son and 6 month on daughter and nude more then just normal tub photos).
    I even have it set up for the "like" pages are in a fan site folder so whoever is in control of that site can not see my information.
    It does take time but only one day and maybe a hour. I mean if you catch on or something.
    I hate myspace, you can have someone blocked and they will still be able to see your status by cell phone...I just don't like Myspace settings at all. Not very good privacy settings.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I deleted my facebook a few months ago because it was just becoming too much. I only recently reactivated it because of the wedding. I wanted to be able to notify college friends and family whose info i didn't already have. I think after the wedding i'm going to delete account again

Mrs. Married Lady
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards