Snarky Brides

Has anyone ever made beans in the crockpot

I want to cook red beans in my crock pot. Any suggestions?

Re: Has anyone ever made beans in the crockpot

• I got nothing except "Red beans and rice didn't miss ya."
  • Hee. My H would agree with that. I am not hurting in the butt department.
  • If you start cooking it on high, only leave it on high for a couple hours tops. The beans cook pretty quickly.

That's about all I have.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    Now that song is stuck in my head.

Have you tried food network or allrecipes.com?  That's where I get a lot of my stuff.  AllRecipes.com is good for really basic stuff without eleventy million ingredients. 
  • I'd say use the quick soak directions on your bag of beans. Then add them to the crock pot with some tasso and/or sausage and a bit of sautéed  onions and bell peppers. Add some Tony's and some chicken broth and let it simmer on low until its done.

If they aren't creamy enough for you once they are done, take some out, smash them, and then put them back in to thicken up the sauce. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yeah I think I need to goggle!
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use the crockpot all the time!  Follow the directions for boiling them - usually it's 2x water to beans.  Then put it on low and leave 6-8 hours.  I never recommend high for anything from my own experience - things turn out better on slow.

My favorite recipe:
    Ground chicken, sauteed with onions on the stove until brown with cumin and Mexican Chili Powder.  In the crock pot, put a can of diced tomatoes, followed by the chicken, followed by red kidney beans, black beans, lentils, and any other beans you like (I usually put 5 cans of beans in).  Then dice up a zucchini and yellow squash and throw them in, too.  A can of yellow corn drained on top, and a touch of spices.  Voila!  You have a fantastic healthy chili - top with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
  • That sounds really good Cate!
  • I'm ashamed to say that I'm from Boston and I haven't the foggiest idea on how to make beans. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Katie how dare you! Go cook some baked beans now! :P

• Not to be disgusting, but my step dad used to make chili and he'd cook the beans in a crock pot on low for many hours; he said it took the fart out of them lol.  It was when I was much younger so I don't remember if that is true or not.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• ahaha. Sorry, this is a joke within my group of friends because we have one friend who always makes beans in a crockpot to bring to parties. But no one ever eats them. She always says, "No one even touched my beans." Sometimes we eat them just to be nice. It's just canned beans heated in a crockpot--that's icky to me. Sorry, had to share because it reminded me.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • What's the fun in taking out the farts in the beans? You can't have farts wars w/o farts!

• edited July 2010
    I usually cook baby lima and great northerns in the Crock Pot. I rinse them well first, because I have found rocks in the bag kind. The put them in the pot cover them with water almost to the top, and turn on high for about 3 hours, then I turn them to low add seasoning, and usually my ham. Total time can be anywhere from 6-8 hours.

ETA: my mothers trick while cooking is add a tablespoon of vinegar, takes out the fart and you cant taste it.
  • I always giggle whenever people talk about cooking using a dutch oven.  I always associate dutch ovens with farting under the covers.  My FI is a real classy guy.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-ever-made-beans-crockpot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ead82596-bce0-4f39-91fb-725f09daad29Post:20499742-8a79-4b38-be64-51a7f0e20fc9">Re: Has anyone ever made beans in the crockpot</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always giggle whenever people talk about cooking using a dutch oven.  I always associate dutch ovens with farting under the covers.  My FI is a real classy guy.
    Posted by Hellokatie0517[/QUOTE]

ROFL, I have never heard that.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Yes dutch oven cooking always gets a giggle from me.

• May I suggest crock pot weiners instead? I love them and don't have enough excuses to make them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards