Snarky Brides

What companies do you boycott?

Re: What companies do you boycott?

• Arwo- I think it might be more of a personal modesty thing less than a feed your child thing. I csnnot imagine letting the girls out anywhere except in front of FI. Again - no children, so my opinion might be a bit skewed by lack of experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ha! Dot, apple computers. Not applebees.
  • I have to be honest, I enjoy self check out. In my vast experiences at check out counters I would rather do my business and be done than endure begrudging, slow service without a smile. Am I generalizing? Sure. I know it. Again, why I like mom and pop shops in general even if the price is higher.
  • Steph- I think you and I would get along just fine.
  • Chik-fil-a is also a gay rights issue, they have donated a lot of money in efforts to keep families "traditional."
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:318e7d39-0a50-4891-8e5d-e269c2cef621">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Arwo- I think it might be more of a personal modesty thing less than a feed your child thing. I csnnot imagine letting the girls out anywhere except in front of FI. Again - no children, so my opinion might be a bit skewed by lack of experience.
    Posted by bbuckner984[/QUOTE]

I'm probably a little biased too. I love whipping my breasts out. I wish they made a noise like Wolverine's claws when they popped out.

*Snickety!* Oops, arwo is breastfeeding again!
  • You only need a union to protect you from your employer if you aren't good enough at your job to protect yourself from getting fired.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:5488da51-2f0e-4f79-a885-94d41bc67df6">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a thing with IAMS. I remember my vet talking about nutritional experiments on cats/dogs, and since then, won't buy anything IAMS-related.
    Posted by september's bride[/QUOTE]

Wait, somehow I missed this. They starved animals? Or over-supplemented them? Or something else? Both of those things sound terrible.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:1ace7656-4c4d-4eb0-92de-39236b59d959">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? :  . In happier news:  I'm very pro Sears after reading about the great accommodations they make for employee servicemembers called to active duty.  Above and beyond.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

I also boycott Chic-fil-A because a one of my coworkers puts it. "They are a bunch of homophobic a-holes."

But to quote Anna I love Sears.  So much.  my dad buys all of his tools from Sears. And only Sears.  Also when DH's house burned down when he was a teenager, they kept the store open late for his family and gave them huge discounts. I think highly of Sears.

Overall, I avoid all chain restaurants.  Given that I worked for more than one for over 5 years.....i try to always buy/shop/dine local.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:7c29050a-4156-4959-8dd5-f0762f45283c">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You only need a union to protect you from your employer if you aren't good enough at your job to protect yourself from getting fired.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Agreed. Although I will amend that to say there was certainly a time and place for unions. In fact, there still is today with dangerous jobs like coal mining. No one is forcing pregnant women to work 15 hours a day with no bathroom breaks any more though.</div>
  • Arwo- yes, the sound of unsheathing a sword. Exactly what I mimic when they make their appearance. :)
  • I hate Amazon and the iTunes store. I refuse to give my money to either. Actually I avoid Apple because of the way they handled a fraud issue with my debit card and personal security. 

I don't give much business to Target, I'll shop there some, but not much. I don't care for their anti guns, hunting and fishing stand.

I love Wal-Mart. I'll always continue to support them. In fact, it bugs me that people are so hard on them, when the consumers are the ones that made them the power house that they are today. I still give plenty of business to small local stores, and try to balance where I spend my money, but I'm perfectly fine with saving $20-$30 a month on a big Wal-Mart trip.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, Arwo, I totally agree. I'm all for women being allowed to bf in public, actually.  I mean, I think it's probably better to coverup if you can, and I probably will (but I have no kids, so who knows.)  But, this story in particular was just asinine, IMO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:e2833ab7-972c-4328-b12a-35183f67e6bc">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Agreed. Although I will amend that to say there was certainly a time and place for unions. In fact, there still is today with dangerous jobs like coal mining. No one is forcing pregnant women to work 15 hours a day with no bathroom breaks any more though.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

This right here some up my opinion of unions.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:e2833ab7-972c-4328-b12a-35183f67e6bc">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Agreed. Although I will amend that to say there was certainly a time and place for unions. In fact, there still is today with dangerous jobs like coal mining. No one is forcing pregnant women to work 15 hours a day with no bathroom breaks any more though.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Unless they work on a farm. That industry is sheltered from every single piece of the flsa. A 14 year old can work a 24 hour day for less than minimum wage on a farm, and it's completely legal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:474cc26f-471c-4114-9a2e-5aa42569a2c8">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate <strong>Amazon</strong> and the iTunes store. I refuse to give my money to either. Actually I avoid Apple because of the way they handled a fraud issue with my debit card and personal security.  I don't give much business to Target, I'll shop there some, but not much. I don't care for their anti guns, hunting and fishing stand. I love Wal-Mart. I'll always continue to support them. In fact, it bugs me that people are so hard on them, when the consumers are the ones that made them the power house that they are today. I still give plenty of business to small local stores, and try to balance where I spend my money, but I'm perfectly fine with saving $20-$30 a month on a big Wal-Mart trip.
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

Why do you hate Amazon? I tend to support them (they're a local company, for me) and while I haven't gone looking for transgressions on their part, I've never heard of anything terrible about them, either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:aba0080d-f779-4c50-9801-ff22dd41f1ea">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : I like the idea of it and more than once I have been tempted when there is a line backed up and the cashier is bsing with the customer they are helping about whatever.  But there is just nothing I need bad enough to put more people out of work.  Bank tellers are almost nonexistent because of ATMs, gas station attendants are a thing of the past, and there is no telling how many people have been put out of work because of the internet.  I just try and avoid making it any worse.  I do shop locally in small businesses whenever possible even if it means that I have to pay a little more. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I completely hear you and sympathise with this. This is yet another reason I like non union supermarkets because employees are held more accountable for service. I like to think that by mostly supporting mom and pop stores and non union places I balance out my running to a self check out when I have to run into Stop and Shop.</div>
  • I have a list of cosmetics companies that test on animals that I plan to reference the next time I go makeup shopping.
  • I boycott Walmart, it is a nasty place and when I have been there I feel like I could easily contract TB or some other infectious disease. I avoid it not only for my personal health but also for my sanity because I believe one must be mentally ill to be able to handle that place.

I avoid Starbucks ( I am from Seattle too!) Howard Schultz gives money to too many groups that I feel do not treat Palestinians very well!

I also hate Time Warner Cable and Comcast because they are assholes!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:dac8536f-b819-46b9-8f61-617abcb86c31">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a list of cosmetics companies that test on animals that I plan to reference the next time I go makeup shopping.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

I am curious to know what is on that list. .....I have no problems making brand switches if needed.
  • Oh, I boycott Comcast, but I didn't realize that was worth mentioning. ;) I thought that was just general knowledge that they are managed by Satan. 

DMills- I don't boycott Wal-Mart because of their business practices (obviously, from my anti-union stance. ha) I just think they're dirty and gross... and usually more expensive then Target anyway. At least here in MN.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:e51309f6-8ec6-4ff9-9ec0-fb0c3cc321ff">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Unless they work on a farm. That industry is sheltered from every single piece of the flsa. A 14 year old can work a 24 hour day for less than minimum wage on a farm, and it's completely legal.
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I admittedly had not idea about this and this is outrageous. I am sure there are many sides to this issue (as I acknowledged with coal mining etc) but my personal experience with unions has been by and large a form of not holding people accountable and denying merit based promotions to those deserving.</div>
  • I avoid Walmart since it's huge, it takes me forever to find what I need and when I can't find something it takes even longer to find an employee to help me and usually when I do find someone they tell me it's not their department and to ask someone else. Ugh.

I also avoid them because in Canada (not sure about the states) they don't have full-time jobs (except upper management) so they can avoid paying benefits and other such programs. That annoys me. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:62e69fa9-d938-45fd-bb0d-929c9dc7eb08">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Why do you hate Amazon? I tend to support them (they're a local company, for me) and while I haven't gone looking for transgressions on their part, I've never heard of anything terrible about them, either.
    Posted by arwo[/QUOTE]
    I have never once had an order get to me in a reasonable time frame. Three years in a row I've ordered Christmas presents in November and received them after Feb. I ordered silk rose petals for our wedding 3 weeks before and paid for 2 day shipping, they came like a month or so after the wedding. I've also not had luck with their customer service when I've ranted about how my crap never gets delivered. I think Amazon hates me because everyone else raves about how great they are. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OH, I remembered another one: Urban Outfitters (for targetting young urban liberals, but supporting people like Rick Santorum). It makes me feel icky.

• PETA's website has a great list of cosmetic co's that do v bad things to animals. Also- sorr for any typos. Am on my apple product that likes to autocorrect.
  • Mel, isn't that only if it's their family's farm?  Not that it's necessarily ok, but coming from a very ag-dependent area, it doesn't bother me.  A lot of those kids take immense pride in helping out the family business.  I honestly never heard a single 'farm kid' complain about the work they were doing.... even though they were waking up at 4am to help feed the animals, going to school for a full day, then going home and doing chores until 10pm again.

Not to mention, I dont' think it does harm to keep a culture of hardworking people. God knows someone has to do that, since it's such a rarity these days.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:62e69fa9-d938-45fd-bb0d-929c9dc7eb08">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Why do you hate Amazon? I tend to support them (they're a local company, for me) and while I haven't gone looking for transgressions on their part, I've never heard of anything terrible about them, either.
    Posted by arwo[/QUOTE]

I read an article about how they treat their warehouse workers a few months ago, I can try to find it. Man, some of that stuff was shitty.

I'll look for the animal testing list but it might take a minute since I'm on my phone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:5242ba6f-cd63-4f18-9271-829e47eead85">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : I have never once had an order get to me in a reasonable time frame. Three years in a row I've ordered Christmas presents in November and received them after Feb. I ordered silk rose petals for our wedding 3 weeks before and paid for 2 day shipping, they came like a month or so after the wedding. I've also not had luck with their customer service when I've ranted about how my crap never gets delivered. I think Amazon hates me because everyone else raves about how great they are. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

That is coocoocrazypants. Even before Amazon Prime, my stuff never took longer than a few days to get to me. Although, were you using Amazon Marketplace rather than Amazon "proper"? Marketplace is really hit-and-miss, since you're dealing with somewhat random vendors.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:81d63f02-1e69-44c3-a8c0-a7796ea1e2b8">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I boycott Comcast, but I didn't realize that was worth mentioning. ;) I thought that was just general knowledge that they are managed by Satan.  DMills- I don't boycott Wal-Mart because of their business practices (obviously, from my anti-union stance. ha) I just think they're dirty and gross... and usually more expensive then Target anyway. At least here in MN.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]
    Wal-mart here is usually cheaper than Target. And our local Wal-Marts aren't gross at all. <div>I didn't take it that you were against their business practices, they just get bashed a lot and it drives me crazy. I worked at Wal-Mart through HS, and I loved it. Honestly it's probably the best company I've ever worked for. </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards