Snarky Brides
Options

Should i say something? VERY LONG.

I made an appointment with a groomer to get my labrador retriever shaved and groomed.  I have never taken my dog, Derby, to the groomers before so i wasn't sure what to expect.  I take him in and the place was so filthy and it stunk so bad, i almost vomited. But, thats not the issue.  So, when we first got there Derby started walking low to the ground, tucked his tail between his legs and was trying to get out of the door.  Soooo not like him.  He loves everybody and is always excited to see people and other animals. 
At first i thought it was because he had gotten neutered a few weeks ago and maybe he was nervous/scared they were going to hurt him in some manner that was previously done to him the last time i took him to a place of business. 
Anyway...that was not the case. He wanted nothing to do with this lady, again not like him.  She talked me out of shaving him because she said sometimes retrievers hair doesn't grow back at all and it doesn't look good.  So i decided i would just have him bathed and de-shedded.
She took his leash from me and opened the kennel and without asking him to go in the kennel (he knows his commands, very smart dog), she pulled on his collar so hard that he was standing on his hind legs and he coughed due to her choking him.  She then threw him in the kennel!!!!!  He still wasn't all the way in the kennel so she took her foot and put it on his butt where his tail begins and shoved him in there.  ALL IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!  
I couldn't believe it, i was so speechless and floored that someone would treat any animal that way, let alone my baby!!  Derby was crying the whole time, probably because she hurt is sore from being fixed.  I took off out the door without saying anything to the woman, because i know my temper and if i would have said anything or done anything it would not have ended well. So, i sat in my car and cooled off somewhat before heading  back in there.  I went behind the desk with out saying anything to her to get Derby.  She asked if i changed my mind about shaving him and i said "no, just changed my mind about leaving him here."  She then asked if something was wrong and i just told her that if i were just bathing him i would do it myself.
It wasn't the truth, but i couldn't leave him there with her because if she is treating him like that in front of me, what would she do when i was gone.  I wanted to tell her off but i couldnt even look at her, i just kept walking with out making eye contact with her.  I really am having a hard time with this....i feel like i should call back or go back and say something to her, this is not right and i lost plenty of sleep over last night.   WWYD? 
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should i say something? VERY LONG.

• Options
    I'm really happy to hear you went back in there to get him... I was nervous while reading. My furbabies are my LIFE so I understand. I've heard of many terrible stories about groomers who really don't give two shits about the animals... My one dog needs a haircut right about now but I've been neglecting to get him groomed because I want him to be well taken care of. The last place I brought him, didn't seem to take very well care of him... He came back depressed (not like him--hes been groomed before with no problems).

I would definitely write a review on her. On google, you can normally search for a business and leave a review. I typically always read these reviews before using the business. If you really feel it necessary, I would even call and explain your disdain for what you saw...

I'm really sorry that happened--but, I am really glad you got Derby out of there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_should-say-something-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f51049a7-03b9-4aff-b1d2-3862608662f7Post:7a2fb2b4-72cb-4526-b522-641aa4e91637">Re: Should i say something? VERY LONG.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should i say something? VERY LONG. : Well, i still thought of that too but on our way home i stopped at another groomers to make an appointment and to see how he acted.  This new place was much cleaner and nicer. And the groomer was the nicest person!! Her and Derby got along just fine.  He walked in there with his head held high and tail a waggin'!! haha..  So, it was just the mean lady. Also, i gave that woman my address and phone number.  Im worried about puting a bad word out there, what if shes a psycho?!!?  Should i still put a review after you know this fact?  what doya think?
    Posted by RandiLakin[/QUOTE]
    She won't be a pscyho because this probably isn't the first time this has happened.  Besides - she has no recourse against you if you lodge a complaint on a customer service review board like yelp.  Seriously you are in the right to say something.  I'm so glad that Derby wasn't scarred and liked the other groomers.  I also take my furbabies very seriously.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's ridiculous, I can't believe she did that. I would file a complaint for sure, and if she was an employee, not the owner, I would speak with the supervisor about the treatment. I used to work at a grooming/vet's office and if we ever did that with an animal (assuming it's not one currently trying to bite our throats or scratch our eyes out) we would have been fired on the spot. I would have told the woman off instead of sugar-coating it for sure.

I've never heard the thing about the lab's coat not growing back. We groomed plenty of labs and never had a single problem.
  • Options
    Is there some sort of agency you can report this to?  Seems like the facility needs to be investigated.  This story was all kinds of horrible.  I'm wondering who actually felt comfortable with leaving their pet with this woman. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_should-say-something-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f51049a7-03b9-4aff-b1d2-3862608662f7Post:05ba065f-5916-46fe-aef7-3ef30baccfa1">Re: Should i say something? VERY LONG.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's ridiculous, I can't believe she did that. I would file a complaint for sure, and if she was an employee, not the owner, I would speak with the supervisor about the treatment. I used to work at a grooming/vet's office and if we ever did that with an animal (assuming it's not one currently trying to bite our throats or scratch our eyes out) we would have been fired on the spot. I would have told the woman off instead of sugar-coating it for sure.<strong><u> I've never heard the thing about the lab's coat not growing back. We groomed plenty of labs and never had a single problem.
    </u></strong>Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

The new groomer he is supposed to see tomorrow said that she had never heard of that either and shes been in business for 15 years.  So, i think that lady was crazy!!  Does their hair usually grow back the same (will it still be shiny and soft)?  Should it lay the same way when it grows back?

AND ..thanks to all of you guys for your input and reply!!  I will be writing some reviews on her for Derby and future clients of hers that care deeply about their pets!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is terrible, that she would dare treat your dog like that in front of you. I would definitely leave a review on your local yahoo reviews or on yelp. Someone else might not witness their dog being treated badly, and leave them there. If you could even try to prevent that, i would.

Also, sometimes I think dogs can sense a person's nature much better then we can. Derby was trying to tell you something with his body language, and I a, glad you went back and got him.

Honestly. my dog ( the white one) is a holy terror when it comes to vets/groomers or anywhere that has cages. He will try and bite, yelp, and generally is a demon, and I have never seen someone even treat him as badly as she treated Derby, who I assume was not doing anything like mine would have been.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is people who treat animals poorly. Especially other people's animals. You are a much better person than me. Honestly, if someone did that to my dog, I would have been up in her face and there's a good chance I'd give her a nice throat punch. What a fuucking biitch.
    We shaved our lab one summer and her hair grew back just the same and maybe even a little softer. But I'm sure every dog is different.
  • Options
    leaynleayn member
    First Comment
    pulling the leash and hearing the choking sound would have been enough for me...i have a pretty bad temper too, so i am really glad this was not me!  you did the right thing by leaving without fighting with her.  i would definitely report it however you can so other people don't bring their animals there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If this response was already given- I apologize. there are a lot of responses here. While I applaud you for going back and in grabbing your baby, you saw her place her foot on your dog! I would have said something there and then. THEN I would have reported her to my local animal control or police department! If she had no issue doing that in front of you.. think of what she does when shes alone! I really think this needs to be reported. I am terrified for the other animals there!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    As a dog lover and owner....totally in love with my baby....i am completely floored that happened to you!  My mouth was literally hanging open when i read your story!  I would absolutely say something.  I'm a fan of a strongly worded letter.  Send it to the owner of the groomers and explain what happened, how it affected your Derby and most importantly that they have lost your business.  I would even CC the Better Business Bureau.  If you don't want to do all that...definately go back and say something.  Let that woman know that you did not appreciate the way your baby was treated and she should be more aware of her actions. 

Give Derby a belly rub for me! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards