Snarky Brides

kids crafts?

Does anyone have any easy and relatively inexepensive ideas for kids crafts?

I tutor a 14 year old girl who is in special education. Since today is a holiday, I want to do something fun with her. Her mom is not home very often at all, so I try and do fun things with her every so often for a nice break from just studying.

I found a tutorial for homemade sidewalk chalk, but I think I'm going to save that to do over the summer.

Re: kids crafts?

• Homemade play-doh? There's lots of recipes online. But that may be too juvenile for a 14 year old.

What about doing a scrap-book style fathers day card since it's coming up.
    Anniversary
  • I thought about play-doh. I think she would really like it actually. She isn't as mature as most 14 year olds, so I might see what she thinks about it.
    The fathers day card would might work. Her parents are divorced, and her relationship with her dad is... rough. Some days she really misses him, and other days she's really irritated with him. Poor kid :(
  • Poor thing, sounds like she hasn't had an easy go at life.

Anniversary
  • Mini sand paintings? She can draw a design on paper, then use a glue stick on areas, sprinkle with colored sand, repeat until done. You could turn it into a card too.
  • Thanks ladies :)
    Achiduck - yeah, she basically takes care of herself, since her dad isnt around, and her mom works all the time. I feel bad for her, which is why I try and do fun things with her so she doesn't get bored and annoyed with school type work.

I really like the idea of the coffee filter flowers! I think I'll put that on the list for tonight.
  • I used to like to make things from Sculpey modeling clay.  You can bake it in the oven to make it permanent. 

Stringing beaded jewelry might be fun too.  Micheals has a good selection of really pretty beads. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Or you can do a popsicle stick frame.  It is very easy especially if you use the tongue depressers and then color them or get glue glitter and then glue the sides together and stick a photo in the back.  then come out really cute!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Home made silly putty! Also for lunch or dinner you could make English muffin pizzas. You put sauce and cheese on an English muffin. They are lots if fun for kids to make.
  • I would make coffee filter lions. Use the inside of the filter as the face then cut orange paper into strips and "curl" them around a pencil then glue though to the lip of the filter.

I also used to like drawing a side view of a 3 story house and designing rooms in it/ drawing furniture. That may have been because I was odd and super into design though...
  • How about a "book about me" -- you could do a page or two whenever you see her. Photos, stickers and you could come up with questions she has to answer: favorite show, movie, color, food, drink, etc. I used to do these with kids from age 3 up. You can use scrapbook paper or even a journal (lines or not).
    planning

• Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! :)
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    I'm really late, but maybe for another time you could do something with popsicle sticks?  You can 'weave' them into a lattice-like square and paint them.  You could also get some blank boxes at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby and decorate a small jewelry box.  You could get some squeezable fabric paint and decorate t-shirts or tote bags.  Hobby Lobby and JoAnns also have some cool kits for kid's crafts.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards