Snarky Brides

vent NWR

So I just found out my boss aka owner of the business is dating my coworker. There is a major age difference between them about 25 years but the age difference doesn't bother me that much. What really ruffles my feathers is that when I ask to leave early 30 minutes to see one of my kids' programs at school, parent teacher conferences, or something like that, I get told no. I've missed almost everything my kids have done this year. But my younger coworker leaves early for rap concerts, frat parties, or to have dinner with "friends" and the boss never says anything. The most recent thing...my truck blew a tire and I ended up being 10 minutes late for work and I was reprimanded and told to not let it happen again. first time I had ever been late. My younger coworker is consistently late because he wanted Starbucks or something yet the boss says nothing. Im just frustrated with the obvious favoritism...

Re: vent NWR

• That is extremely frustrating. I would be really pissed too. I worked in a restaurant a few years ago and one of my good friends, a fellow waitress who was 23, started seeing our (married) 45 year old manager. The manager started to exhibit blatant favorism towards her. Their relationship wasn't public knowledge (at least, not at first) but it was very clear that he was favoring her. She got all the good tables, best shifts, etc. TBH, because I was her friend, he was pretty cool to me as well, but I know a lot of other people were really angered by the way she was favored, and I really couldn't blame them. It actually ended up ending really badly... his wife caught wind of it and came in and made a big scene and he got fired. There weren't really any reprocussions for my friend, although she did end up leaving eventually since everyone knew what she had done and it was definitely the subject of gossip. I'd imagine that if your coworker and boss break up eventually, the work environment will get even more awkward and uncomfortable.

I don't have much advice for you... since he's the owner of the business, I guess there's no way to go over his head. I'm not sure what field you work in, but if I were you, I'd probably start looking for a new job if that's possible. Your boss sounds like a real jerk, even without the coworker thing. Being 10 minutes late because you had car trouble one time really shouldn't be reprimanded. Those things happen and there's really no way to make sure it "doesn't happens again." Good luck, I hope the situation improves in some way or another!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • this would be the same boss who told me I needed to loose weight before my wedding...nice
  • I would be finding a new job.
  • This stuff happened all the time in the business I was in.  Then again, I married my boss, so there is that.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Your boss sounds like a jerk, and you're definitely in a weird situation in that he owns the business.  Is there any sort of employee handbook that everyone signed?  Does it say anything about relationships in the office?  Even though he's the owner, if he's going against company policy, then  something needs to be done.. idk what exactly, but that's not right.  I agree that finding another job is probably all that you can do at this point.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vent-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fa4b8d4f-82ed-4e01-80a5-06911f283f9bPost:c3c8dc31-d8b4-498e-9b43-be80a3545444">Re: vent NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue's either doing it right, or she's a hoar.  Or both. :-P
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Both.

Its fraternization, either your company allows it, or it doesnt.  Ask HR.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • there isn't hr. The boss is the owner of the business. Five employees total....not much I can do about it, i just wanted to vent
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards