Snarky Brides
Options

diamond switched?

I took my ring in to be resized and I feel like they switched out my diamond.  I brought it to the store that I bought it from so I'm not sure why they would do this but ever since that day I've noticed the stone felt softer (like i could scratch it with my fingernail) and just looks different (I always noticed a black reflection when I looked at it from a certain angle and now I can't find that spot) the only thing that looks the same is one little spot on top.. what should I do???!!?!?

Re: diamond switched?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diamond-switched?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd4a6f1c-1a3f-43b2-a8a1-c06a3a5e6e21Post:b65525dc-9fbb-4ff7-9f39-620e2be2ee68">diamond switched?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took my ring in to be resized and I feel like they switched out my diamond.  I brought it to the store that I bought it from so I'm not sure why they would do this but ever since that day I've noticed the stone felt softer (like i could scratch it with my fingernail) and just looks different (I always noticed a black reflection when I looked at it from a certain angle and now I can't find that spot) the only thing that looks the same is one little spot on top.. what should I do???!!?!?
    Posted by aliciaocchiogrosso[/QUOTE]

When it was resized, it's entirely possible that the diamond got rotated in the head and a spot that was under a prong before is now not under a prong.

Also... it feels "softer"... like a sponge or what.  You can't actually scratch it with your fingernail, right? Cause, if you can, it's like.... soap and I'm relatively sure you would know by now what its deal is.

FWIW, it is not worth it to jewelers to switch stones, unless it's a giant sized diamond.  And even then, the risk of getting caught is huge, then they lose their livelihood, go to jail, pay fines... Not to say it doesn't happen, just that it's not often.
  • Options
    Is it GIA certified? You can ask to look at it through a lens, and make sure the numbers match.Although it is rare I was told to look at it through a lens when I drop it off ,and again when it's returned to make sure the number matched. It protects you and the jeweler. But it shouldn't be soft.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My fiance said that when he got it they said it was certified but he claims he has no paperwork.. it looks much smaller and I doubt that it was spun around bc the flaw was in the middle so it would still be there.. by soft I mean that it definitely feels softer when i scratch it with my nail than it did last sunday before I brought it in... the cut also looks a bit different... a smaller stone also popped out last week when I had it made smaller and I brought it back and they seemed overly eager to jump on me as soon as I walked back in... they fixed that no problem and I think i'm going to go tomorrow to ask them if there is a possibility they did it by "accident" if they give me a hard time I'm definitely raising hell!!
  • Options
    And it's not huge it's 1.02 carats... color is supposively g and it's si1... according to the receipt which I don't even think this new stone is a diamond :-/
  • Options
    NO paperwork? At all? Mine came with a little drawing from the jeweler that showed where any inclusions where, I thought this was standard?

For what its worth, without that paperwork, even if they did switch it (which is doubtful) you're not going to get far. If you walk in and say "I think you made a mistake and switched my diamond for this plastic thing here" they are probably not going to go "Oh yeah! Sorry about that. Here you go!"

Why don't you take it to a different jeweler and have them verify it its a diamond or not before accusing anyone of anything?
  • Options
    Also, if you're having issues with stones popping out after it was resized, you might actually have to order a band in your size.  Sometimes, bands with stones in them don't have the capability of being made smaller without compromising the stability of the band. 
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diamond-switched?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd4a6f1c-1a3f-43b2-a8a1-c06a3a5e6e21Post:4964d722-e805-41c6-9ee5-c326021c7739">Re: diamond switched?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance said that when he got it they said it was certified but he claims he has no paperwork..

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diamond-switched?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd4a6f1c-1a3f-43b2-a8a1-c06a3a5e6e21Post:7978febf-eb34-4986-9410-21a64bc9da56">Re: diamond switched?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And it's not huge it's 1.02 carats... color is supposively g and it's si1... according to the receipt which I don't even think this new stone is a diamond :-/

What?! No paperwork?! Is the "receipt" a GIA report or AGS report? To know the Carat, Color, and Clarity it had to have some kind of certification.

Don't raise hell until you KNOW it has been changed. You need to get an independent appraisal.

Oh & did you insure the ring?

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    By soft I know what you mean. When you use your fingernail to scratch a real dimaond it feels harder and different than a fake. Take it somewhere else, an indepdent jewler, and have them inspect the ring!! If they switched out the diamond I'd take legal action asap! I truely hope that's not the case.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 262 Invited image 38 Attending image 5 Declined image 219 Unknown
    RSVP Date August 1st
  • Options
    Okay false alarm!!! It feels much better now after a few days I think maybe he used something to clean it that left a film on it? But I brought it somewhere else to get it checked out and it all turned out okay thank god!!
  • Options

After I got my ring I was super paranoid about letting it out of my sight. The day after I got it, I took it to a jeweler to get a ring guard and I was convinced in the 5 minutes that the guy took it to the back that he had switched the diamond! I called my best friend hyper ventilating! I still don't like letting it out of my sight though.

Jen
  • Options
    Im dying to know where you got the ring from?
  • Options
    im glad all is well but im still concerned you dont have any paperwork? is your ring insured? the only way you dont get some paperwork is if its bought off the back of a trunk...and if you don't mind me asking where on LI are you? im from LI myself. just curious
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards