Snarky Brides
Options

poker face

I worked with a girl the other day (first day we met) who was talking about her wedding.  She was trying to brag about how awesome her wedding is going to be.  She told me (more like bragged) she wrote "No boxed gifts at the reception" on her invite because she thought it was a polite way to hint she wants money.  She thought she was so clever!

My FI tells me I have ZERO poker face.. meaning-- if I think it- my face says it.  Well I know my jaw dropped, cuz she definitely responded and changed the subject.

I felt bad because I am not the type to call someone out like that.  After thinking about it though- I feel like maybe she needed to see a stranger's reaction (I will never work with her again) to realize it's a bad idea.

Just curious how often this happens to you.  What was the crazy idea the bride had?  (No judgements here.. I think it would be funny to hear the different stories.)

Re: poker face

• Options
    I have been told that my Poker Face sucks

backs away
  • Options
    tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2010
    my friend thought that her fiancées brothers wife (FSIL) got pregnant on purpose, just so the attention would be on her, not my friend/bride at the wedding! 

she also didn't invite my partner of 9 years to the wedding, even though i was her bridesmaid! her reason was they didn't know him that well

(i think i had a good poker face when she told me both of these things - wish now i had told her she was being a bitch!)
  • Options
    One of my friends told me she was going to sacrifice a goat at her wedding. I coudn't help myself. I was all like "yuck!".
  • Options
    norsernnorsern member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poker-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fecf7d99-cdda-430c-8e20-cdd440a68686Post:f759298d-dbb6-45f4-98f6-ff6076e076d0">Re: poker face</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my friends told me she was going to sacrifice a goat at her wedding. I coudn't help myself. I was all like "yuck!".
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Seriously? A goat? Can't say I'd be able to have a poker face with that either.
    P1131150
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poker-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fecf7d99-cdda-430c-8e20-cdd440a68686Post:818c1da8-6752-426b-992b-8573e980fa19">Re: poker face</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: poker face : Seriously? A goat? Can't say I'd be able to have a poker face with that either.
    Posted by thelostiowan[/QUOTE]

Yes seriously.  CEW is in the FBI.  They have no senses of humor as far as they are aware.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Oh shiit sorry, CEW!  I forgot I wasn't supposed to talk about your job here.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poker-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fecf7d99-cdda-430c-8e20-cdd440a68686Post:818c1da8-6752-426b-992b-8573e980fa19">Re: poker face</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: poker face : Seriously? A goat? Can't say I'd be able to have a poker face with that either.
    Posted by thelostiowan[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It was weird. I mean, if had been something cute like a baby duck or a puppy, I would have been okay with it, but a goat? Goats have devil eyes for Christ sake!
  • Options

Yeah, that should have gone for a puppy and used goats as centerpieces.

Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Oooh. Good idea. And then afterwards, they could make all of the goats wash everyone's cars.
  • Options

Just keep them away from the older cars made of metal.  I hear they eat cans.

Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options

Wow. How do you know all of this stuff? You must be a goatologist.

• Options

My H bought one for my parents to replace me when he married me.  My sister was crying saying I was way better than a goat and it could never replace me... blah blah blah.

Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Wow. Your H is generous. Matt just gave my parents some string and old batteries from his remote control.
  • Options
    I guess that tells you what you're worth, huh? ;-p
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    I know. I think Matt and I are going to have to have a chat about this later.
  • Options
    Don't be too hard on him.  I do live in farm country.  They're probably easier to come by here.  In fact, I know someone that owns a goat farm.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Yeah. You're right. Especially since I know someone that owns a remote control farm.
  • Options
    Can you hook me up?  We've been missing 3 remote controls since we moved 3 years ago.  It's really annoying to not have a sleep timer on our bedroom TV.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Sure. I think they are in the middle of mating season, so I should be able to send you a few sometime in the fall.
  • Options
    Excellent.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    How do you wake up Lady Gaga?

You poker face. With a goat.
  • Options
    Morning, Bec!  I really did laugh out loud at that.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Hi betrothed!

I'm working today. Barf.
  • Options
    I love goats.  Especially baby goats.  The other day, I saw baby goats on my way to work and I was so excited I almost drove off the highway at 75 mph. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poker-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fecf7d99-cdda-430c-8e20-cdd440a68686Post:faf25f6a-908c-4aff-8e40-e4672a9adabf">Re: poker face</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love goats.  Especially baby goats.  The other day, I saw baby goats on my way to work and I was so excited I almost drove off the highway at 75 mph. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Baby goats are my favourite. I would love a pet baby goat named geoffrey.
  • Options
    So, my FFIL is a sheep rancher.  He actually gave both me and my mom a sheep as pets to keep on his farm.  I wonder if that was a weird dowry thing?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Every.single.day. = poker face

Lukcily they pay me though :) I have a real hard time doing it to my friends though. But, they expect me to tell it to them straight.

Hi ladies! Not sure if any one is still here. I brought my MLPs... can I sit with your guys at the back of the bus now?
  • Options
    My friends tell me that I give death glares.

I cant help it.  Its an inherited trait.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poker-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fecf7d99-cdda-430c-8e20-cdd440a68686Post:a95fbc9f-331d-4f10-8492-5c6014ecab71">Re: poker face</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: poker face : Baby goats are my favourite. I would love a pet baby goat named geoffrey.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Love.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Have you guys ever seen a fainting goat?
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards