October 2013 Weddings

Lead Crystal - Lead?

Are you registering for it?

We are looking at decanters and glasses. Currently, Godinger is the brand for glasses since they are inexpensive and pretty. Godinger is a brand that is made in the United States, so I want to believe it is of higher standards/levels of safety for lead glass ware.

Decanters: I understand you can't store liquids in it for long periods, but for an evening, it should be fine?

Glasse: Safe to drink from - only for holidays and special events? 

Thoughts?

And another question - FI would like stoneware dishes. That is also linked to lead, with glazes. Does anyone know of stoneware with lead-free glazes? Preferably made in the US as well? Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
image95 No
image0 Unknown

Re: Lead Crystal - Lead?

• Pamperchef makes great stoneware. I also don't think they have a glaze on them.

Everything else, idk.

• My mom has stoneware from Corelle, and I'm pretty sure it's lead free glaze on those. (I haven't ever thought about that, tbh! But it's definitely a valid point. As someone who used to work with ceramics on a regular basis, I should have thought about it, ha.)

As far as the crystal goes, I'm clueless. I imagine it would be fine storing the liquid in a decanter just for a few hours (like for a party) would be okay... but, try the Google?
  • Ok. I've been researching this since I posted. I've moved off of crystals and am onto dishes. I "think" I want to register for Fiestaware now. The colored dishes were never really my thing, but as I read and read, it seems to be "safe."

From this list - lead free brands are Apilco, Bennington Potters, Dansk, Denby USA, Hartstone, HF Coors, and Home Laughlin (Fiestaware).

Semi-safe (Companies say they are fine, but listed as "You Decide"): Corelle, Emile Henry, Pfaltzgraff, Sengware, Terra Keramik.

Iffy: Lenox, Noritake,  Pillivuyt

What I am wondering now is there any dish brand not listed that is 100% lead free - as in, the base of the dishes are made with  lead free materials? Oh dear. This is going to bother me!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• SewinLove, you just freaked me out. We're registered for Noritake dishes from Macy's. I just triple checked and it doesn't have any notes about any sort of glaze. I took a look at the link you posted, and the Noritake plate in the blog link says "Lead-Free Ceramic Glaze" in the description, whereas the dishes we have registered for say "Stoneware". Ahhhhhh! Now I'm gonna keep searching on this....
  • Super eye opening Surprised (that's my face) - this is not something I EVER would have thought about when registering   .  We plan to register for dishware of all sorts and never once have I thought there were harmful components.  Thanks a bunch for posting!  (I kinda feel like I live under a rock now)
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • I'm sorry everyone, I really didn't want to freak anyone out - cause I'm pretty freaked as well and am checking for items on our newly created list. However, I rather we all talk about it and do research.  Sorta in a "knowledge is power" type of group.

We registered for a pizza stone - Hartstone 15" pizza baking stone:

And from my research, Hartstone is A-OK!!! 

So Hartstone is good.

Onto dishes - what I can't figure out is if only STONEWARE can contain lead, or any dishes. I'm seeing pottery/clay, but I don't know the makeup of all dish sets. And, I don't want bone china for every day use.

Another post on dishes - appears to be the same person or excerpts from what I posted earlier today:  http://wildinthecity.ca/2007/11/19/there-is-no-more-lead-in-my-dinnerware-i-think

The link I just posted (right above, in the post) - a comment says that "Not all Fiestaware is lead free" Ah! I just sorta came to the conclusion that Fiestware was safe! And that Dansk, a "non-lead user" is a Lenox company, which admits to using lead in paints! 

My eyes are bulging and this is giving me anxiety.  Please, continue to help and post findings - I really appreciate it.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_lead-crystal-lead?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:776b7c1c-552f-4dfa-ba24-ec21de2b0f16Post:1eb5c8f9-bdf6-4c73-a89f-2ff3327691c6">Re: Lead Crystal - Lead?</a>:
    [QUOTE]From this list - lead free brands are Apilco, <strong>Bennington Potters</strong>, Dansk, Denby USA, Hartstone, HF Coors, and Home Laughlin (Fiestaware).
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]
    Aw yiss, Vermont represent! Bennington Potters is one of like... two things that Bennington's known for. The other is the awesome hippie college that I attended, haha.

• I believe its only the vintage Fiesta which could contain lead in the glaze.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards