May 2014 Weddings

fiance HELP!

We got engaged in December 2011. We are planning a May 2014 wedding. My finace "wants to take time to enjoy the engagement" - and pretty much refuses to partake in any wedding discussions at all. However, me on the on the other hand - I'm like a little kid on christmas eve & can't wait to begin planning. I bought a wedding planner book - & I've started gathering ideas & such. He feels like I am rushing everything. How can I get him to realize that wedding venues, caterers, photographers, etc. all need to be booked about a year to a year and a half ahead of time. It's not like I am rushing to get married tomorrow, I've got a 2 year plan going on. & I'm also not trrying to plan and decided everything at once. But I just can't seem to get it through his head that first and foremost we need to begin saving because in order to secure vendors, you gotta have down payments &&&& that planning a wedding takes time, and the sooner we begin to plan - and space it out over the next two years - the less stressful everything will be.

Re: fiance HELP!

•   How old are you all? I am in the opposite situations since my fiance is being SUPER picky about everything and doesnt like anything I pick haha. But I have seen advice from others that when you refer to the wedding you should call it 'our wedding' or 'your wedding' if you are talking to him, so then he realizes its all going to directly effect him!
    ** I don't believe that old cliche that good things come to those who wait. I think good things come to those who want something so bad they can't sit still **
  • ive gotten this advise from my parents actually (what your fiance is telling you)

but i am like you and like to jump into planning.  im sure he will come around after a little bit! :)

venues suggest booking between 12 and 24 months so hes still got some time ... if he hasnt started wanting to hear ideas by the fall id ask him whats up for sure ...in the meantime talk to your mom or something about your ideas - shell probably be more helpful anyway hahah
  • My fiance similary does not really want to start planning now, but because we have plenty of time, I amm gathering ideas alone.  By next January I will start booking the caterer and rental company and if he wants a say in things he can get on board.  But if there is no money being saved then that is really bad.  This first year of idea gathering is mainly so we have extra money for the wedding.  Even if you keep the wedding simple you have to be liquid for the down payments.
  • My fiance didn't want to talk for a while but I convinced him to talk venues and after we booked (which we just did) i promised to leave it alone for a few months, maybe you can find a compromise too.
  • I thought by having two whole years to plan that we could take our time and "enjoy" picking and planning, but I soon realized that my first choices were booking fast! We picked out the major concerns, ceremony site, reception site, photographer and locked those in. The rest I can wait until I finish my degree at the end of this year and then Ill start worrying about the little stuff. But you need to be talking and sharing ideas and researching at the very least!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me & my fiance jus got engaged on 6/27/12 & our wedding date it 5/17/14.....I am so thankful he wants to be included in the planning because it can be very exciting & overwhelming....but just do as much as you can until you can persuade him to come around because even though its 2 yrs away the time will fly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards