May 2014 Weddings
Options

5-25-14 Planning!

Hi ladies!

My name's Christina, I got engaged on Valentine's Day. We chose to have our wedding on the Memorial Day weekend without even realizing it. We wanted a Sunday, and this just happened to work out great because most people don't have work the next day. 

We looked at 6 venues before booking ours. When we walked in, everything was so elegant & just perfect, we thought it would be out of our price range. But when we heard the price our jaws dropped. We just had to book the venue without even taking any others into consideration.

I'm still thinking about color schemes. I love deep fall colors, but it's a Spring wedding, so is it alright to mix it up? 

And music - I'm an alternative rock chick, & my fiance's a jam band hippie. I'm not sure how much dance/pop music we're going to be able to stand during the reception. How long can the "Do Not Play" list that we send to the DJ be? Haha!

Anyway, I would love to talk to people who are planning their May weddings! What steps are you guys on? I feel like I'm driving all my friends, family & coworkers crazy, 'cuz all I ever do is bring up the wedding!

Re: 5-25-14 Planning!

• Options
    Hi Christina! I'm getting married the day before you! We got engaged on 1/11 and when we picked our date we also didn't realize it was memorial day weekend. But it works well cause I have 2 children from my first marriage and since they won't have school on Monday it gives them more time to celebrate with us before we go on our honeymoon! I'm a total alternative rock chick!!! I always say I will forever be stuck in the 90s lol. My fl is in a metal band. I'm walking down the aisle to the beginning of a machinehead song. We're going to have a band. Hopefully we can find one that can play like classical rock/metal so our guests won't know the difference. They'll just think its classical music lol. Also Frank Sinatra... I'm Italian so I'm in love with him by blood! We are still looking at venues. Our coordinator must be sick of us saying no but I want that feeling when I walk into a place and just "know". I eloped with my first wedding so I'm going all out this time around. Congrats to you!!! :
  • Options
    Hi Christina! Welcome and congrats. My wedding date is May 24, 2014, I didn't notice it was a holiday weekend but happy it is. In reference to your question "what step am I on" well lets see... I booked my reception venue and DJ , in the process of booking my photographer and videographer. I am doing my own invitation so that will be my next project. I love hearing people talk about their weddings so you wouldn't drive me crazy if we worked together. Lol Keep us posted on your planning!!!
  • Options
    Hi Christina,

We are getting married on 5-31-14. We got engaged 6-30-12 so we have had a long engagement so far. I have booked my ceremony venue, reception venue, photographer, dj, and photobooth. Catering is included with our venue so I don't have to worry about that. I have also picked out our colors which are going to be coral and aqua!  Next up is our engagement pictures! :) I can not wait for when some one asks "When are you getting married?" to be able to say NEXT May instead of May 2014!! It will be here before we know it!
    The way I look at it is the more planning and decision making I do now the less stressful my planning will be when it get closer!
    Happy Planning!
    Annie
  • Options
    carlydailycarlydaily member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_5-25-14-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:79143385-eb15-4f22-9943-2b4bf2b05b67Post:bb5a7547-23d7-45f4-82e2-344d03915147">Re:52514 Planning!</a>:<div>
    </div><div>Hi <a style="background-color:#ffffff;border:0px;font-size:12px;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;color:#579bc3 !important;" href="http://www.theknot.com/profiles/elizabetheleven/wedding-planner/favorites" target="_blank" class="username_knot">elizabetheleven</a>!!</div><div>
    [QUOTE]Hi Christina! I'm getting married the day before you! We got engaged on 1/11 and when we picked our date we also didn't realize it was memorial day weekend. But it works well cause I have 2 children from my first marriage and since they won't have school on Monday it gives them more time to celebrate with us before we go on our honeymoon![/QUOTE] <div>This weekend works out great! When are you going on your honeymoon? We'll be going in July because we always close our bagel store for a week in July, and our customers will be used to it. Where we're going is still to be determined! When I think  honeymoon, I think tropical, but neither of us have our passports, so we'll have to look into where we can go without one.
    <div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE] I'm a total alternative rock chick!!! I always say I will forever be stuck in the 90s lol. My fl is in a metal band. I'm walking down the aisle to the beginning of a machinehead song. We're going to have a band. Hopefully we can find one that can play like classical rock/metal so our guests won't know the difference. They'll just think its classical music lol. Also Frank Sinatra... I'm Italian so I'm in love with him by blood! [/QUOTE]</div><div>That's awesome!! Hope you can find a band that can do that for you! My FI's friends walked down the aisle to Pantera's "Walk"...so it is possible to have anything you want. I just set up a meeting with a DJ, hopefully he doesn't think I'm crazy for some of my song choices! Haha!</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]We are still looking at venues. Our coordinator must be sick of us saying no but I want that feeling when I walk into a place and just "know". I eloped with my first wedding so I'm going all out this time around. Congrats to you!!! [/QUOTE]</div><div>Good luck finding your venue! You're lucky you have a coordinator, we're on our own for this one, but my FI & I are trying to get everything done early so there's not too much stress. So far so good!</div><div>
    </div><div>Keep in touch, alternative girl!

</div></div></div></div>
  • Options
    <div>Hi <a style="background-color:#ffffff;border:0px;font-size:12px;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;color:#579bc3 !important;" href="http://www.theknot.com/profiles/Kelesia/wedding-planner/favorites" target="_blank" class="username_knot">Kelesia</a>!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_5-25-14-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:79143385-eb15-4f22-9943-2b4bf2b05b67Post:baa183b5-b0b6-4fc5-a646-5171319aa8a2">Re: 5-25-14 Planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Christina! Welcome and congrats. My wedding date is May 24, 2014, I didn't notice it was a holiday weekend but happy it is. In reference to your question "what step am I on" well lets see... I booked my reception venue and DJ , in the process of booking my photographer and videographer. I am doing my own invitation so that will be my next project. I love hearing people talk about their weddings so you wouldn't drive me crazy if we worked together. Lol Keep us posted on your planning!!!
    Posted by Kelesia[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Tell me about your own invitations! Are they handmade, or are you using programs to make them? Where are you going to have them printed up? I love graphic design, and am considering making my own in Photoshop or Illustrator, but I am not sure yet. I like the looks of some of the inviations on minted.com, but they are sort of pricey. So I am still weighing out my options about what would be easier & cheaper.

</div>
  • Options
    <div>Hi <a style="background-color:#ffffff;border:0px;font-size:12px;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;color:#579bc3 !important;" href="http://www.theknot.com/profiles/abailey2014/wedding-planner/favorites" target="_blank" class="username_knot">abailey2014</a>!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_5-25-14-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:79143385-eb15-4f22-9943-2b4bf2b05b67Post:2dea61d0-6839-4603-ab80-01dbb8cb01a6">Re: 5-25-14 Planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Christina, We are getting married on 5-31-14. We got engaged 6-30-12 so we have had a long engagement so far. I have booked my ceremony venue, reception venue, photographer, dj, and photobooth. Catering is included with our venue so I don't have to worry about that. I have also picked out our colors which are going to be coral and aqua!  Next up is our engagement pictures! :) I can not wait for when some one asks "When are you getting married?" to be able to say NEXT May instead of May 2014!! It will be here before we know it! The way I look at it is the more planning and decision making I do now the less stressful my planning will be when it get closer! Happy Planning! Annie
    Posted by abailey2014[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow, you got a lot accomplished so far! How do you keep yourself organized? I am keeping a binder, but I still have some things that aren't in it yet. Plus, the FI's got the guest list on his computer, which is better than handwriting everyone in & then crossing them off making a mess on paper. Haha!</div><div>
    </div><div>I love the way coral & aqua go together! I'm considering them as our colors too, but I can't choose just yet! I also love purples & greys... sea foam green... & a goldenrod yellow.... I think I have to see what will look the best in our venue, with their wall color/decor/uplighting etc. Must decide soon! Invitations will be just around the color.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck planning too! It will be here soon! Keep in touch!

</div>
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We own our own business as well! That's why we had to hire someone. Plus we're in the process of buying a home so we needed some help. The honeymoon is probably the only thing we have planned. We're going to Italy to visit some family for the first time for a week right after the wedding. There are tons of places you can go without a passport! Where are you from? Cause if you want tropical I know the PERFECT place!!! Edited...sorry I'm on my mobile and it quoted wierd and I can't make paragraphs... Agh
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_5-25-14-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:79143385-eb15-4f22-9943-2b4bf2b05b67Post:2f52cde5-76a6-4ef2-95ce-01fa4ac7a413">Re:52514 Planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We own our own business as well! That's why we had to hire someone. Plus we're in the process of buying a home so we needed some help. The honeymoon is probably the only thing we have planned. We're going to Italy to visit some family for the first time for a week right after the wedding. There are tons of places you can go without a passport! Where are you from? Cause if you want tropical I know the PERFECT place!!! Edited...sorry I'm on my mobile and it quoted wierd and I can't make paragraphs... Agh
    Posted by elizabetheleven[/QUOTE]

<div>Congrats! Buying a home is so exciting! The FI & I bought ours on 11-14-11. So if you have any questions, let me know. It seems like such a long & complicated process, but in the end it's all worth it!</div><div>
    </div><div>My cousin went to Italy for her honeymoon. They loved it! And they said everyone was really nice to them when they heard they were newlyweds! I would love to go one day.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm from NJ, so I'm used to the Jersey shore. Some crystal clear water & white sand is what I'm imagining! Tell me about this perfect place that I can go without a passport.</div>
  • Options
    Hi Chrisitna! im Jessica, planning a May 24, 2014 wedding!!  well actully planning a 10 year vow renewal! My husband and eloped 9 years ago and didnt have any friends or family there to help ius celebrate so we are renewing our vows on our 10 yr anniversary. We are goin all out this time lol. As far as where am i in planning... lol not very far. i have found a beautiful venue that i would like to have it at but havent booked it yet. colors we have chosen are shades of pink and grey. I really am not sure of what all i am suppossed to be doing lol. Good luck to you and all you soon to be married ladies! 
  • Options
    im getting maried 5/24/14 i got engaged 12/8/12. we found our venu with in a month(have 1 payment left)  super cheep but i have to bring everything in and what we bring in we take out. got my photographer about a month after that. have a friend thats a DJ. and we are working with the cater now. have are theam- spring country picnic , colors, goom and grooms mens outfits bridesmaids dresses. centerpices ideas, working with a friend whos a venu decorator. most of the music is piced out for the ceromony and "special" dances. talked with our pastor of our church but havent done our conceling yet but we still have time. gone to a few bridal shows for some ideas, tast test, and freebies. got our wedding bands picked out and put on hold (should be getting thoughs soon) started looking at appartments. our goal was to slowly get stuff done and that everything is payed off 6months before the wedding.  all i have are the little details left and thinking of the extras... im a hair styliest im talking about my wedding 24/7 and then i come home and for get that im home and keep talking abiut everything we have dome and yet too do... i totaly understand the driving people nuts about ur wedding, but if it truly drives them crazy thay should tell. my peeps did but thats because if thay didnt i think thay would find some way to kill me with my wedding planner.. aslong as ur having fun who cares what you do. congrats on r engagment and good luck there are a tone of peole getting married that weeking its getting harder to book thing evry day for that weekend ...
  • Options
    rmilligan08rmilligan08 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Hey! our wedding is also on 5-25-14 but we have been engaged since Christmas of 2011. SUPER long engagement! Everyone kept telling me to wait to book its too early. But I am happy to report I wouldnt have gotten some of our vendors if we didnt start early. I think The only big things left are the florist and cake which we will do toward the end of this year. Two months after we were engaged we found vases for our center pieces for $3 when they were originally $50!! Sometimes there are good things about having a long engagement!

Happy Planning!
  • Options
    You might be able to go to St. Thomas, which is a U.S. Virgin Island. It is absolutely beautiful there, with the bluest water and sugar sand beaches. Or you could go Puerto Rico...they have Bacardi tours and awesome local places.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_5-25-14-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:79143385-eb15-4f22-9943-2b4bf2b05b67Post:baa183b5-b0b6-4fc5-a646-5171319aa8a2">Re: 5-25-14 Planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Christina! Welcome and congrats. My wedding date is May 24, 2014, I didn't notice it was a holiday weekend but happy it is. In reference to your question "what step am I on" well lets see... I booked my reception venue and DJ , in the process of booking my photographer and videographer. I am doing my own invitation so that will be my next project. I love hearing people talk about their weddings so you wouldn't drive me crazy if we worked together. Lol Keep us posted on your planning!!!
    Posted by Kelesia[/QUOTE]

YAY, so were all pretty much date twins, I JUST NOW REALIZED its gonna be memoral day weekend!But ive got mostly everything PICKED out, just have to start the paying process.. ugh.
    where are you having your weddings?
  • Options
    I got engaged on Valentines day as well and our wedding date is the same!! Crazy!!! :-) We already have the venue and all the vendors lined up. Trying to get everything done early so I dont freak out later. Will be going to look for my dress in 2 weeks when my sister in law is in town.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards