August 2012 Weddings

How to tell a close friend you can't attend the wedding...

My close friend and old roomate is getting married in September. It is a 4 hr flight away. I had ALL intentions of going. All my friends are going. even her distant friends are going.
I feel really guilty. I had every intention of going but.... we are trying to buy a house. Airfare and hotel to go to their wedding+ a  gift and food we are estimating around $1500.
I thought about sending them a really generous gift- like $300, in place of going. Not that money solves anything.

My only other friend that isnt going is pregnant,and due on the day of the wedding (best reason not to go ever). She is the ONLY other friend not going to this wedding.

Is it rude if I dont go? If we weren't trying to buy a house, i would totally 100% go. Plus i just keep thinking how we could spend that $1500 on things for our own wedding (selfish sally)...

Plus on a side note- our realtor told us not to make any big purchases in the next month or two until our mortgage gets approved. I already cancelled a weekend away fiance and I had planned for this weekend to be sure we had no big $$ amounts on our credit card. Anything over $150 we buy she said can effect our debt to income ratio. So you know $800 on airfare fits into that category.

Edit: Just wanted to add that in the past i implied i was going to this wedding, multiple times.... because i had all intentions of going :(
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards