August 2012 Weddings

Skipping a period?

I am on BC and I'm scheduled to get my period on the honeymoon! I obviously don't want that. Is it safe to just start a new pack when the old one is finished?

Re: Skipping a period?

• You need to talk to your doctor about what is safe or not safe for you.  No one on a wedding forum should give you "medical advice".  Has this been done, yes.  But no one knows your body but you and your doctor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yup just skip the placebo pills - you may still have spotting though since it's the first time you're doing it. Good luck!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yes it's safe to skip the placebo pills in you BC and not have your cycle during your honeymoon.  I used to do it all the time when I was on BC.  When you are scheduled to start your placebo pills start a new pack of pills.  But since I am not a doctor, I suggest that you contact your Dr. to confirm that it is safe for you and your present health.
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would check with your doctor, but last year when I went to Mexico and had the same question, my doctor told me it is just fine to skip the week of placebo pills to avoid my period.
  • If you have never done this before, you should talk to your healthcare provider before attempting, just in case there is a reason that this is not a good idea for you.  However, I have been on birth control for years and every now and then will skip a period just for convince sake.  I am actually due for my period this weekend (during my wedding), but am planning on skipping.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I've been told by my doctor that it's fine to do every once in a while. I've done it once before got lucky cuz it worked I didn't even have spotting. I'm due to start during the honeymoon so I will be skipping it as well. Just like PP said you skip the placebo pills and just go straight to a new pack.
    ---------- imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    This doesn't answer your question (sorry), but at my gyno visit last fall I mentioned I was getting married and he asked me to plan out and see if I was going to be on my period for the wedding or honeymoon.  Turns out I would have been.  So he prescribed a plan for me to throw out certain pills each month, etc so I would start my period early.  Essentially, we backed my period up by 2 weeks so it wouldn't interfere with wedding festivities!

I never would have thought of it on my own!

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • You should talk to your doctor, but if your placebo is only 4 days (like mine), then you need to start the new pack on the Sunday of the week the placebos would be in. I had the same problem so I actually started my pack early this month and will get my period next week instead. 
  • Yes, check with your doctor first. It is possible to skip the placebo pills however, whether or not it will work is entirely based on your body and the type of BC you take. If you take tri-phasic pills (the ones with a different color each week) the hormone levels change and you are likely to still get spotting or a full period if you skip the placebos. If you take pills with the same hormone level (3 weeks of pills all the same color) then it is more likely you will be able to skip your period entirely, but it still depends how your body reacts to this. I don't recommend trying it out for the first time on your honeymoon.

I'm in your same position and I'm planning to give myself a period early because I don't want to risk it happening on the honeymoon. But, I also understand that by ending a pack early it is likely that they won't be fully effective for preventing pregnancy.
  • First, call your Dr to make sure it's ok.  It should be, and shouldn't require a visit, just a phone call.

Second, honestly, it's probably a bit late to try this, but it might work.  Like others have mentioned, you can have spotting or breakthrough bleeding. It may occur during the week of your "normal" period, or it may be the week or two after. 

I rarely have a period at all anymore, but I have used this method to ensure I would not and only dealt with spotting (if that) and usually a week or two after the week I was supposed to have my period, so no harm to give it a try if Dr says it's ok.  Worst case scenario, you get your period and you're no worse off.
  • I'm not on birth control anymore, but we're not looking to get pregnant anytime in the immediate future (if it happens, it happens, but we're actively trying to avoid taking risks when I'm ovulating - I guess that's natural family planning).  It does look like I'm going to get my period during my wedding - bummer!  However, it looks like that means it should be gone by the honeymoon - hurray!  As long as it isn't Day 1 or 2, which are my most miserable days, I don't care.  Heck, even if it's Day 1 or 2, I pop a few Advil, wear slightly more reliable underwear than I had been planning (I'm guessing VS has some cute bridal booty shorts rather than a thong, yes?) and enlist the help of a dear friend to help me hold my dress during a rather uncomfortable moment.

Anniversary

• When I was on the pill I tried this afew times after talking to my Dr, it didn't work for me but I know plenty of people it did work for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes My doctor advised that it is ok to do this up to 4 times.. Depending on your menses.. you may spot if you skip that long though.   I just delayed mine so now i dont get another until a week after the honeymoon:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 149 Invited
    image 111 Wouldn't miss it!!
    image 38 Will be missed! br /> image 0 responses self destructed prior to arrival
  • m tullim tulli member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Its prob fine. Call your dr to make sure it's safe with your prescription. Also you may still spot. Also might run into an issue with insurance because you will need to fill your pills earlier and will run out sooner on the tail end, do its good to keep your dr in the loop.
    85image 71image 14image
  • Yes check with your doctor. But mine was going to start the day of the wedding! She told me to skip the last week the white pills and go straight to the next pack of pills! 
  • Like everybody's said, check with your doc first.
    Personally, I tried skipping a period once (for a romantic vacation), and it didn't work too well. I ended up spotting for almost a full month, until it was time for the next period. It. Sucked.
    But if you ask your doctor, he/she can probably tell you how to do it right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I am doing the same thing. Doctors actually suggest doing this once and a while. You are safe!
  • Please please check with your doctor!!! same situation here, i was scheduled to get it on my wedding day.  I research online and a lot of ppl say it's ok so i was going to do it.  but i made an appt to see doctor to be safe, she said that i wouldn't be able to skip with the pills i was taking - good thing i checked.  we mapped out a way with a new switch pill and now i will be getting it the week before so i wont have any problem on my wedding day and honeymoon.  
    btw, i was taking gianvi (?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat. It turns out the type of pill I was on would *not* work if I just skipped my placebo pills. My doctor had me switch to a different type of pill that will allow me to skip a period. I didn't even have to make an office visit. We discussed it all over the phone and my doctor called in a new prescription for me. Good luck!
  • I was in the same situation- I actually spoke with my gyno because I am on ortho tri cyclen lo and tried to skip the placebo pills and ended up getting a period.  She says that can happen on ortho tri cyclen lo...however, because I skipped the placebo pills and went straight to a new pack, she said I should expect to get my period at the end of next week- which is 2 weeks before my August 25 wedding and honeymoon.  So, I was pleased with that, if that is what actually will happen, it just moves the period up.  She said for this month to continue taking the placebo pills and not skip them a second time.

Hope it works!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards