Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

home made wedding cake

I am thinking of doing my own wedding cake or at least asking my mom to help. Anyway I found a cake that looks good it was in my recipe finder app on my ipad, it is made for a smaller serving size but im sure its easily adaptable for a wedding cake. It is a dark chocolate cake layered with fresh raspberries and a vanilla cream cheese frosting. There is no frosting on the outside of the cake so all the layers are visible. I am unsure how people will respond to this I know most cakes have some sort of frosting or fondant covering. Any ideas or thoughts? 

Re: home made wedding cake

• rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    If it tastes good and you are happy with not having any decorations on it than its fine. You can always decorate with flowers (just make sure they are not poisonous ones and are clean and free of any pesticides or other chemicals). If you plan on doing tiers make sure you put some sort of support in the cake (wooden dowels or even the plastic straw ones work, I make cakes and use the straw like ones so they are strong enough trust me).

Another thing you can do is dust the cake with icing sugar to hide any little imperfections that happen during baking. Since it is filled with cream cheese frosting you can also frost the cake with the same cream cheese frosting. Just because the recipe says it isn't iced or covered in fondant doesn't mean you cant ice it anyway. 

If you never made a wedding cake before my advice is to keep it real simple. and take any opportunity to practice. Make this cake for birthday parties or other parties to get practice in so you have no surprises on the big day
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Please create a new account that does not have your email account as your user name- internet security.

How mch experience do you and your mom have n making a wedding cake?  Can you dedicate the day before to making the cake?  Truthfully, what you are describing is difficult, so unless you are experienced, I would say go with a baker.
  • I made my own wedding cake. It was the single most stress-inducing aspect of the entire wedding planning process. I've done wedding cakes for other people, both before and after my own wedding, and I would strongly discourage other brides from doing this. Some venues won't allow food not produced in a licensed kitchen to be brought in for liability reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards