Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

For those already married...

Do you remember what your cake was placed on?We had an acquaintance make my daughter's cake, who had been making/decorating cakes since she was a little girl.  The cake was placed on a piece of plywood covered with aluminum foil.  Which we had to pay a $30 deposit in order that she would get it back. The he!!...?

Re: For those already married...

• Options
    MOG730MOG730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Silver plateau that was purchased on ebay. Frosted direct, so that there was not a foil covered cardboard plate. Looked great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That security deposit is standard prodeedure for most decorators. I had an entire collection of wooden baseboards that my husband had made for me. Of course I wanted the board back to use again! I also needed all those plastic support plates and pillars returned. The security deposit helps make sure that the caterer/venue/bride makes sure it DOES get returned! Once it comes back in the same condition it was given, I return any security deposit paid.
  • Options
    steffenfamsteffenfam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just thrown because I expected something more professional looking, especially since she's been doing cakes her whole life, including a stint as a "preferred" baker at a wedding venue here in town.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If you figure that the deposit is for the replacement value of the board... it really is valued at about $30...  1hr. time to go to the hardware store to purchase it at $13/hr (would YOU work for minimum wage... NO!)...  $12-$15 for the board itself... another hour to mark and cut the board into the round shape and suddenly it's over $30...  At least you got plywood or MDO instead of cardboard or foamcore!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend just getting into cake making make mine. She used cardboard with aluminum foil on top. She charget 175 dollars and the cardboard was thrown away. I guess she wanted it back but the reception place had already thrown it away.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LarissaAnnLarissaAnn member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A sterling silver pedestal - the venue provided it and the cake. PIB under "cocktail hour & reception."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards