Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Non-Fondant Cake Ideas

I'm trying to pull together pictures of cakes I like for our baker/decorator, but all I can find is fondant, everywhere! I don't want a fondant cake, and I want to be able to browse pictures and not pick one out that I like and then find out it's fondant. Is there anywhere  I can go to view non-fondant cakes only? Or does anyone have pictures of nice cakes they can share that are regular frosting? My wedding is a beach theme with splashes of bright colors like watermelon pink, lime green and orange. Thanks!!

Re: Non-Fondant Cake Ideas

• edited December 2011
    I brought my cake people a pic of a cake I liked that was fondant and they just are making it with buttercream. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    First of all, don't write off fondant completely until you've tasted what YOUR baker uses for fondant.  Not all fondant is created equal.  There are some really yummy brands and recipes for fondant out there.  Also, a good baker will be able to pull off your cake vision in buttercream as well.  Sure, there are some limits (regardless of what anyone tells you, buttercream done in a "faux fondant" technique doesn't look as good as flawlessly smooth buttercream.  The idea is to take in to your baker cakes with elements that you like so that your baker can design a cake especially for you fondant or not fondant.  Give your baker the flexibilty to do their job and work in the elements of cakes you've seen and love, not just because they are covered in fondant or buttercream.Check out photo sharing sites like webshots, shutterfly, etc. for buttercream wedding cakes.
  • edited December 2011
    The reason I can't use fondant is actually that the baker I am using doesn't work with fondant- she is a family friend who does beautiful cakes in buttercream but doesn't do fondant-- so I do kind of have to write it off, but thanks for the tip :) I'm not extremely picky and like what can be done in buttercream so I don't need to make her job harder than it is. I just was having a hard time determining when I was looking at pictures on websites (especially on The Knot), what was buttercream and what was fondant, so I was looking for recommendations of sites that more clearly separate them. These have been very helpful- thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    don't be discouraged if you find a fondant cake pic you like, just take it to your baker they may be able to do it without fondant. My baker was amazing and could make buttercream look just like fondant. You can check out my bio for my pro pics...she did lace detail too on buttercream!
  • edited December 2011
    99.9% of the cakes out there can be done in buttercream.  Unfortunately fondant photographs better.  Look on webshots or google buttercream wedding cakes
  • Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try www.whomadethecake.com. They are in Houston, TX but their web gallery lets you view cakes in fondant, buttercream with fondant accents, and also buttercream only; all divided under different links so you know what u're viewing.When I met with my baker, I just brought pics of different cakes, some with fondant. We knew we didnt want fondant and she assured me it would look as smooth as the fondant. (I was at ease b/c I've seen their work in person and they also had a photo album of their other work).Hope this help.
  • edited December 2011
    I also used google to find websites to look at. Does your friend have any pictures of her cakes that she has done in the past? My neighbor is doing my cake and she does cakes as a hobby. She keeps a photo of every cake she has done so you can see all the different styles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Try googling traditional cakes that may get more of the type you are looking for. Also like PP said if you find something you like it can be altered and made with butter cream.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would just find cakes that you like, which is what I did.  I took them to my baker, and she said that she could make the design work in buttercream.  I would just talk with the baker that you're using.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards